Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arizona Memorial Service/Obama Speech

Hubbs

Okay, this is already getting really weird. I don't know if anyone else has been watching the past few minutes, but there have already been loud, large, repeated outbursts of cheering from an audience that sounds like it's mostly made up of Arizona students who pre-gamed for the event. I've never heard anything like it at a memorial service. The cheering-national anthem-more cheering sequence made me think a football game was about to start.

Isn't this supposed to be for people who died?

There's definitely a pep rally thing going on.

I was literally about to write, "What the **** is going on? Is this a pep rally?"

Anyone willing to give me odds on Larry Fitzgerald running on stage waving an Arizona state flag while fireworks go off in the background before this is over?

I think they are trying to exhibit "unity" and support for the family and stuff. That's why Obama and Jan Brewer are both going to speak.

It's not a funeral. It's a public memorial. I think the people in the audience just want to try to show their support any way they can. It's either cheer or be quiet, and being quiet doesn't feel right either. :whoknows:

It is always hard to know what people are thinking and what they are trying to express. Maybe it's a unity thing a "We are all together and you can't beat us" kind of thing. I think I would prefer quiet and somber, but people deal in many different ways and maybe these Arizonans think it's important to show their love and support.

"A terrible, terrible thing has happened. People died. Others are still in critical condition."

*wild applause, U-S-A chant, students start hopping up and down shouting "Ooooooooooooooo" until Obama is forced to call a time out to draw up an inbounds play*

I think no matter what it would be weird and awkward. I think these things are by their nature.

Btw, I'm not really disagreeing with anyone. I was trained to be silent and respectful during these kinds of things, but I can understand that maybe Arizonans want to express something else... maybe they want to say... he's not us, we're not full of hate. Who knows?

Seems they've settled down once the President started speaking... which in my opinion is a good thing.

Okay, on what planet is "His final act was to protect his wife by sacrificing himself" an applause line? The dude died last week.
That one does actually seem like an applause line. He died a hero. I'll stand and applaud for that. I'm not going to yell out "wooooooo!" but I'll certainly applaud it.

Could not agree more.

I turned on the TV - had no idea this was on. Started watching. I was so confused that I went to ES to see if anyone was talking about.

SO ****ING WEIRD. This is a memorial service. . . . .

Obama is not saying anything strange. But man, the crowd is just . . . . weird. WTF.

Archived