Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arizona Memorial Service/Obama Speech

Hubbs

Bush was not attending a memorial at ground zero - he was touring the site... I tuned in last night to see a memorial for the dead and felt like I was watching an Obama pep-rally... the president seemed uncomfortable at first with the response but then he got into it but the guy who introduced him and the crowd well, it was quite distasteful.

Not Obama, Nor his team, nor his handlers, nor the White house passed out T-shirt.

The Univerisity of AZ made the T-shirts and passed them out.

Very inapproirate if you ask me.

The college kids that went acted very inapproirate if you ask me.

But you can't blame Obama for the audience.

The speach itself was powerfull, and n the money. One of the better ones I have heard.

No this would be more of a campaign stop

Speaker John Boehner ......]

Perhaps because that's what it is....or did he sneak in a memorial service?

Are we condemning others for going about their lives?

The service was not what I expected....that is all.

Okay, this is already getting really weird. I don't know if anyone else has been watching the past few minutes, but there have already been loud, large, repeated outbursts of cheering from an audience that sounds like it's mostly made up of Arizona students who pre-gamed for the event. I've never heard anything like it at a memorial service. The cheering-national anthem-more cheering sequence made me think a football game was about to start.

Isn't this supposed to be for people who died?

Haven't read the whole thread to see what others' comments are, but you expressed pretty much exactly my feelings when I was watching the memorial service. I was so uncomfortable, particularly with the student section cheering during certain parts and random (sounded like young students) shout outs. I was really, really cringing, to the point I couldn't watch the entire thing.

Not Obama, Nor his team, nor his handlers, nor the White house passed out T-shirt.

The Univerisity of AZ made the T-shirts and passed them out.

Very inapproirate if you ask me.

The college kids that went acted very inapproirate if you ask me.

But you can't blame Obama for the audience.

The speach itself was powerfull, and n the money. One of the better ones I have heard.

That is so much better! Glad his handlers didnt come up with that dumb idea

My favorite quote is on the University of Arizona's own website: "Concession stands will be open during the event."

So. We have a "memorial" with a slogan, a logo, a color scheme that is a lot bluer than the school's colors, t-shirts to wear in a sea of other people wearing the same shirt, and we have open concession stands for an hour long service. This. Was. A. Political. Rally. A kickoff to a 2012 campaign. An exploitation of the deaths of citizens. Some of the blame has to go to Obama. Period. Don't tell me the President of the US was completely oblivious and powerless over all the hoopla that was to be staged at an event surrounding him.

There's nothing wrong with a President attending a memorial service. But compare Bush's somber 7 minute speech at Virginia Tech to Obama's over 30 minute pep rally speech in Tucson. It's arrogant and insensitive as Hell.

And I'm not talking about the text of the speech, or the mere cheering, but the entire "event" that was made.

Most predictable post in the entire thread.

Even Charles freaking Krauthammer and the guys at FoxNews think you are wrong.

Did BO's handlers get this wrong?? Trying to create something that didn't happen? Not really that important but interesting.

....In one of the most memorable moments of the memorial last night in Tucson, Barack Obama told the pep rally audience that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had opened her eyes for the first time on Wednesday night. It was very emotional moment:

But, unfortunately it was not true.

The Sonoran Chronicle reported that Rep. Giffords could open her eyes on Sunday.

(The Sonoron has since pulled the article.)

The bullet “traveled the entire length of the brain on the left side,” said Dr. Rhee, Chief Trauma Surgeon at the University Medical Center, at a press conference on Sunday. In terms of being shot in the head, this is “about as good as it’s going to get,” said Rhee.

Giffords can open her eyes, but because she is on a ventilator she can’t speak, said Rhee.

The surgery took about two hours, said Rhee.

Rhee attributed Giffords’ surviving the gunshot wound to a variety of factors, including a fast response by paramedics, proper care by the hospital staff, and luck. The bullet did not cross from one hemisphere of the brain to the other, nor did it go through the geometric center of the brain.

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/01/did-obama-lie-about-giffords-opening-her-eyes-for-the-first-time-video/

Perhaps because that's what it is....or did he sneak in a memorial service?

Are we condemning others for going about their lives?

The service was not what I expected....that is all.

This move is about as bad as Palin's speech

You are the speaker of the house one on the members of that house is shot it would show real leadership to go and visit her and to acccompany the president would show leadership to the nation.

If he had said not due to family issues, illness that is one thing but a fund raiser

Many conservatives don't like Charles Krauthammer. He's not the best choice to prove a point.

True enough. Of course he was talking with Brit Hume and two other conservatives, and they all agreed with Krauthammer.

Now if you are talking about FreeRepublic/RushLimbaugh/MichelleMalkin conservatives, well, I guess you are going to get a different reaction.

Did BO's handlers get this wrong?? Trying to create something that didn't happen? Not really that important but interesting.

....In one of the most memorable moments of the memorial last night in Tucson, Barack Obama told the pep rally audience that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had opened her eyes for the first time on Wednesday night. It was very emotional moment:

But, unfortunately it was not true.

The Sonoran Chronicle reported that Rep. Giffords could open her eyes on Sunday.

(The Sonoron has since pulled the article.)

The bullet “traveled the entire length of the brain on the left side,” said Dr. Rhee, Chief Trauma Surgeon at the University Medical Center, at a press conference on Sunday. In terms of being shot in the head, this is “about as good as it’s going to get,” said Rhee.

Giffords can open her eyes, but because she is on a ventilator she can’t speak, said Rhee.

The surgery took about two hours, said Rhee.

Rhee attributed Giffords’ surviving the gunshot wound to a variety of factors, including a fast response by paramedics, proper care by the hospital staff, and luck. The bullet did not cross from one hemisphere of the brain to the other, nor did it go through the geometric center of the brain.

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/01/did-obama-lie-about-giffords-opening-her-eyes-for-the-first-time-video/

Wow....Seriously? Just simply give the guy credit for a great speech.

Her family and the Dr's report being in the room and saying it was a incredible moment, that for the 1st time she CONSICOUSLY opened her eyes and grabbed her husbands hand...

But your hatred of the president has made you only able see this great moment as a possible "Gottcha" point? Are you kidding?

True enough. Of course he was talking with Brit Hume and two other conservatives, and they all agreed with Krauthammer.

Now if you are talking about FreeRepublic/RushLimbaugh/MichelleMalkin conservatives, well, I guess you are going to get a different reaction.

You know what is sad when I was younger the Pubs were becoming a big tent party and had many smart people in, now I am watching the smart people the Frums the Ben Steins all be called names and told they are not real republicans and the people who are smart enough it to understand how the world works are being told to leave or shut up..

Wow....Seriously? Just simply give the guy credit for a great speech.

Her family and the Dr's report being in the room and saying it was a incredible moment, that for the 1st time she CONSICOUSLY opened her eyes and grabbed her husbands hand...

But your hatred of the president has made you only able see this great moment as a possible "Gottcha" point? Are you kidding?

Did you miss this ?? ? :rolleyes: In the speech didn't mention "Consciously" at all.

@aRedskin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/12/AR2011011207297.html?hpid=topnews

At first, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords opened her eye just a tiny bit. Then she opened it again, and again.

With female friends from Congress and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, huddled around her hospital bed Wednesday night just moments after President Obama paid a visit, Giffords opened her unbandaged eye a total of five times and reached for her husband's hand, according to the people in the room.

The Arizona Democrat has responded to simple commands from her doctors in the days since she was shot in the head at close range during a constituent meet-and-greet. But she remains mostly sedated and in intensive care.

Her loved ones said their unexpected interaction with her Wednesday night was deeply moving, and was hailed by the doctors in the room as a significant step forward.

"We all started crying," Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said in a phone interview from Air Force One later Wednesday night. "Other than the birth of my children, it was the most incredible moment I have ever had."

Also in the room were Sen. Kirsten E. Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who were talking to Giffords and encouraging her to get well before she opened her eyes.

Gillibrand urged Giffords to "get better," calling her by her nickname, Gabby. Wasserman Schultz told her that she hoped she would get well quickly enough to vacation with her family in New Hampshire next summer.

This move is about as bad as Palin's speech

You are the speaker of the house one on the members of that house is shot it would show real leadership to go and visit her and to acccompany the president would show leadership to the nation.

If he had said not due to family issues, illness that is one thing but a fund raiser

Let me guess, you're on the 'blood libel' OMG JEW HATER train?

Let me guess, you're on the 'blood libel' OMG JEW HATER train?

Nope I thought she made her speech too much about herself

I found it troubling after weekend that she and Rush and others decided to act like they were the real victims fo what happened

I don't think there is a single person on this message board who has said that Palin is anti-semitic.

Just so you know.

Good for them, so then what is the 'bad move' in her speech?

Nope I thought she made her speech too much about herself

Oh right, I forgot she isn't allowed to defend herself after basically being accused of pulling the trigger herself.

As the Speaker of the House, Boehner really should have been there. It would have been the right symbolic gesture of unity and more he is the leader of the House and this was an attack of a member of the House. Nothing should have taken priority over this. Certainly not a fund raiser that could have been rescheduled.

Oh right, I forgot she isn't allowed to defend herself after basically being accused of pulling the trigger herself.

No she was not but thanks for proving my point on the whole victim thing

She was one of many who were talked about with regards to the current rhetoric

the bad move was choosing the day of the memorial service to put out a video defending herself and the tone of politics. Then adding in a poor choice on language. What if she said the media had thrown her in "the ovens" in reference to the Holocaust?

She's not anti-Semitic I think. I think she needs to hire somebody who plays devils' advocate with what she's about to say because this backfired.

The test of the speech was very good, I dont fault the Pres for any of it.

Where I do find fault, however, is on the part of his handlers.

The memorial should have been held in a church or the speech read from the oval office IMO.

They sadly turned it into a campaign event. Heck, I read that they even handed out freaking t-shirts! At a memorial? WTF?

The only things missing were foam fingers and cheerleaders.

I hope none of the family members of those that were lost were in attendance. The crowd made it a disgrace.

I disagree with many who are putting this on Obama's handlers and planners, and not on Obama.

That's part of leadership. That's part of the deal, sorry. Obama should have looked at the forum before he agreed to be a part of it. Public speakers do this all the time. The kind that make $50 an hour. Not sure why Obama is held to a lower standard.

He is responsible for the inappropriateness. Period.

the bad move was choosing the day of the memorial service to put out a video defending herself and the tone of politics. Then adding in a poor choice on language. What if she said the media had thrown her in "the ovens" in reference to the Holocaust?

She's not anti-Semitic I think. I think she needs to hire somebody who plays devils' advocate with what she's about to say because this backfired.

I think the better question is why did it take 5 days to have the memorial?

If she had referenced the Holocaust I would agree it's in poor taste. I personally had never heard the term blood libel, so I did some looking into what all of the fuss was over. I found a few other references to it's use, even one suggesting it had become almost an accepted term, and that was by a liberal Jewish dude, so that tells me what I needed to know.

Archived