Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arizona Memorial Service/Obama Speech

Hubbs

Smear campaign or pointing out the facts?

Obama couldn't say that on day 1 because he had to wait for concrete proof there was or was not evidence the mass murderer was a tea party member or follower of Sarah Palin before going with speech option # 3. :rolleyes:

So articulate you are.

Reading your posts are like slowing down to look at a multi-car crash on the highway. You shouldn't do it but for some reason you can't help yourself.

Well, There is now "evidence" that suggests that this branding "theme" predated this event by what 2 years. How convenient that an EXACT theme was written by a Obama political ally and offered by th DNC & one Mr' Johnny Cruz say that this was conceive by the UofA ?? LOL. OK.

---------- Post added January-14th-2011 at 04:42 PM ----------

Are you trying to say two years ago there was a plan in place to have t shirts made in the event of a shooting?

The whitehouse did not order the t shirts or hand them out the president was invited to speak at this event

Now all I see is this whose job it is to critisize to slander are looking to do so

Sounds to me like he's saying one side does it far more than the other. His "once every couple of months" was probably an exaggeration, its probably more than that. But it's not even close to being equal, unless EVERYTHING other than Fox and NewsMax is counted as a liberal blog.

you heard wrong, and your proportions are off.

Are you trying to say two years ago there was a plan in place to have t shirts made in the event of a shooting?

The whitehouse did not order the t shirts or hand them out the president was invited to speak at this event

Now all I see is this whose job it is to critisize to slander are looking to do so

read it again please.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/14/AR2011011403871.html

After the shootings, Obama reminds the nation of the golden rule

By John McCain

President Obama gave a terrific speech Wednesday night. He movingly mourned and honored the victims of Saturday's senseless atrocity outside Tucson, comforted and inspired the country, and encouraged those of us who have the privilege of serving America. He encouraged every American who participates in our political debates - whether we are on the left or right or in the media - to aspire to a more generous appreciation of one another and a more modest one of ourselves.

The president appropriately disputed the injurious suggestion that some participants in our political debates were responsible for a depraved man's inhumanity. He asked us all to conduct ourselves in those debates in a manner that would not disillusion an innocent child's hopeful patriotism. I agree wholeheartedly with these sentiments. We should respect the sincerity of the convictions that enliven our debates but also the mutual purpose that we and all preceding generations of Americans serve: a better country; stronger, more prosperous and just than the one we inherited.

We Americans have different opinions on how best to serve that noble purpose. We need not pretend otherwise or be timid in our advocacy of the means we believe will achieve it. But we should be mindful as we argue about our differences that so much more unites than divides us. We should also note that our differences, when compared with those in many, if not most, other countries, are smaller than we sometimes imagine them to be.

I disagree with many of the president's policies, but I believe he is a patriot sincerely intent on using his time in office to advance our country's cause. I reject accusations that his policies and beliefs make him unworthy to lead America or opposed to its founding ideals. And I reject accusations that Americans who vigorously oppose his policies are less intelligent, compassionate or just than those who support them.

Our political discourse should be more civil than it currently is, and we all, myself included, bear some responsibility for it not being so. It probably asks too much of human nature to expect any of us to be restrained at all times by persistent modesty and empathy from committing rhetorical excesses that exaggerate our differences and ignore our similarities. But I do not think it is beyond our ability and virtue to refrain from substituting character assassination for spirited and respectful debate.

Public life has many more privileges than hardships. First among them is the satisfying purpose it gives our lives to make a contribution to the progress of a nation that was conceived to defend the rights and dignity of human beings. It can be a bruising business at times, but in the end its rewards are greater than the injuries sustained to earn them.

That doesn't mean, however, that those injuries are always easy to slough off and bear with perfect equanimity. Political leaders are not and cannot reasonably be expected to be indifferent to the cruelest calumnies aimed at their character. Imagine how it must feel to have watched one week ago the incomprehensible massacre of innocents committed by someone who had lost some essential part of his humanity, to have shared in the heartache for its victims and in the admiration for those who acted heroically to save the lives of others - and to have heard in the coverage of that tragedy voices accusing you of complicity in it.

It does not ask too much of human nature to have the empathy to understand how wrong an injury that is or appreciate how strong a need someone would feel to defend him or herself against such a slur. Even to perceive it in the context of its supposed political effect and not as the claim of the human heart to the dignity we are enjoined by God and our founding ideals to respect in one another is unworthy of us, and our understanding of America's meaning.

There are too many occasions when we lack that empathy and mutual respect on all sides of our politics, and in the media. But it is not beyond us to do better; to behave more modestly and courteously and respectfully toward one another; to make progress toward the ideal that beckons all humanity: to treat one another as we would wish to be treated.

We are Americans and fellow human beings, and that shared distinction is so much more important than the disputes that invigorate our noisy, rough-and-tumble political culture. That is what I heard the president say on Wednesday evening. I commend and thank him for it.

I disagree with many of the president's policies, but I believe he is a patriot sincerely intent on using his time in office to advance our country's cause. I reject accusations that his policies and beliefs make him unworthy to lead America or opposed to its founding ideals. And I reject accusations that Americans who vigorously oppose his policies are less intelligent, compassionate or just than those who support them.

He nailed both partisan camps in short fashion. This needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

This was an excellent well written piece
That's the McCain that many of us on both sides respected and admired. We need more of this.
He nailed both partisan camps in short fashion. This needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

Absolutely agree. I give McCain a lot of credit for this. If only all politicians (on both sides of the aisle) thought like this! Our country would be in a much better place IMO.

Absolutely agree. I give McCain a lot of credit for this. If only all politicians (on both sides of the aisle) thought like this! Our country would be in a much better place IMO.

I do not lay all the the blame at the feet of the pols sure they choose the life and to pander but McCain has always pretty much struck as person who tries to do what is right.

I think his two biggest gaffes have of late have been picking Palin and going to far right during his primary.

It seems to me open primaries would be in the best interest to keep the extremists at bay or more third party runner ala Lieberman and Murkowski

Its the guy I was edging towards voting for, before he chose his running mate.

To be honest if I was going to be pres I may think about having a number 2 that was so scary my enemies would not only think twice about shooting me they would follow me around with a pillows to make sure I never get a boo boo

If McCain had one most people would be scared to say something bad that may raise his blood pressure :D

To be honest if I was going to be pres I may think about having a number 2 that was so scary my enemies would not only think twice about shooting me they would follow me around with a pillows to make sure I never get a boo boo

If McCain had one most people would be scared to say something bad that may raise his blood pressure :D

I kinda looked at it the other way around. McCain's running mate was one of the most nakedly ambitious people we've ever seen, with the well-earned nickname "Barracuda". If they win that election and I'm John McCain I eat and drink NOTHING Palin might have been alone with.

This is the response to McCain's editorial from the folks at Free Republic.

"McCain is just trying to diminish support for zero amongst democrats."

"McCain did enough damage by running against Obama in the presidential election. He needs to shut up and stop helping."

"McCain cut short his congressional delegation trip to South America to attend the ceremony.

Now there's a motive. Maybe there's a South American connection to the shooter. Anybody looking into that? "

"To all the people in Arizona who voted for Mc Nuts; SUCKEEEERRRRS!"

"Just one more step for Juan away from his harsh campaign year rhetoric, now that he’s hoodwinked his way to another six years in the Senate. Here we see the old Juan, back to supporting comity and harmony among the various political factions, and getting ready to stab conservatives in the back at the next opportunity."

"That sick old guy never stops the Azz Kissing of our mortal Enemy!"

"McCain was reprogrammed at the Hanoi Hilton. Why else would he be such a big defender of a commie trying to single-handedly destroy this nation?"

"The happy nimrod leftist useful idiot, busy bilking Americans of their hard-won freedoms, while keeping a mental-retardation smile on his face all the while. "

"Echo’s of Neville Chamberlin"

"I’ve been hearing the same drivel on Fox News from people as diverse in opinion as Juan Williams and Rick Santorum. The only person I’ve heard call it crap was Laura Ingrahm. I don’t know what they put in the water at FNC.

That's the McCain I always respected. I wonder where he was in 08? I wanted to vote for him since 2000... and then just couldn't.

That's the McCain I remember. I hope he sticks around a while and shows he's more than just words. He certainly used to be.

~Bang

Did you read the thread or is this just free-form babbling?

Just babbling.

I think it's funny that neither Rush, Beck, Palin, or the Fox News crew said that Obama was exploiting the shooting for votes, yet some internet genius comes to that wonderful conclusion and decides to grace us with it. It is really humorous though that acting Presidential is now considered exploiting the tragedy. But, honestly I'm not surprised as there are far to many who will criticize the President for anything no matter what he does, good or bad, right or wrong. The good thing is though that the folks that do this are pretty easy to spot and as such easy to ignore.

Obammmmaaaaaa wants those votes budddy......just sucks he is exploiting a horrible and sad event to try to gain support....I hate this crap....

OK -- I will bite. How is Pres. Obama exploiting this tragedy? By giving a speech? Didn't conservatives attack him for not giving a speech quickly enough (even though he gave a response the day the attack happened and in subsequent days)?

And what about Palin and Beck exploiting the tragedy to make the post-shooting response into "Woe is me, how dare people criticize us"? For that matter, what about the GOP using 9-11 as a political prop for the last decade?

I mean, for real.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/01/18/2011-01-18_president_obamas_approval_rating_surges_in_polls_following_tucson_arizona_shooti.html?r=news

President Obama's approval rating surges in polls following Tucson, Arizona shootings

Bam is back.

The President has matched his highest approval rating in more than a year, according to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll.

Fifty-four percent of Americans approve of Obama's job performance. Support for him hasn't been this high since April 2010 after he signed the health care reform bill into law

The number is also a five point rise from December and an eight-point jump from his lowest rating in September -- just before the Democrats took a thrashing in the midterm elections.

A CNN poll echoed the same results this week, with 53% of Americans approving Obama's job performance.

Americans overwhelmingly favored how President Obama handled the Jan. 8 shootings in Tucson, with 78% approving and 13% disapproving, according to the ABC News poll.

An impressive 71% of Republicans said they, too, approved of his response to the rampage, which left six dead and 13 injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Just babbling.

I think it's funny that neither Rush, Beck, Palin, or the Fox News crew said that Obama was exploiting the shooting for votes, yet some internet genius comes to that wonderful conclusion and decides to grace us with it. It is really humorous though that acting Presidential is now considered exploiting the tragedy. But, honestly I'm not surprised as there are far to many who will criticize the President for anything no matter what he does, good or bad, right or wrong. The good thing is though that the folks that do this are pretty easy to spot and as such easy to ignore.

Where there's smoke there's fire, perhaps. Political organizations are devious, exploitative and exist for political gain. Not surprising at all too many if accurate.

POLITICAL LOCK AND LOAD

For more than a week, the White House, several political appointees inside the Department of Justice, and former Obama campaign staffers associated with Organizing for America have been coordinating on how President Barack Obama's administration can capitalize on the Tucson shooting tragedy and the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.).

According to a White House source, conference calls on how to message and politicize the attack began late in the evening Washington time the day of the shooting. "Of course we weren't going to let this thing go," says a White House staffer. "Republicans are incapable of capitalizing on these kinds of events because the policy positions for many of them on things like guns tend to make them defensive. From the very beginning we sought to tie the nutjob in Tucson to the tea partiers."

Another White House aide, reading materials supplied by the Department of Justice, cautioned against building an anti-tea party and anti-Republican campaign around the shooter, Jared Loughner. "You looked over the materials, and it was clear he wasn't a tea party guy or even a Republican. I just didn't see the upside, especially if the follow up stories made clear he wasn't who we were pushing friends in the media to portray."

But that didn't stop friends of the White House from doing its bidding, including pressing reporters to use Loughner's middle name, Lee, in press accounts.

"Every famous assassin has a middle name and the fact that his was 'Lee' made it all the better," says a former Obama 2008 campaign media consultant. "It isn't like we had to work hard on this one."

Other Obama Administration attempts to pump up the Loughner story included spreading misinformation initially reported in several national media outlets that the troubled young man might be a zealous pro-life advocate or was angry at Democrats' blocking of Obamacare repeal.

Last week's "Together We Thrive" memorial service in Tucson, where the President's remarks were greeted with enthusiastic cheering and applause, mirroring the politically disastrous 2002 memorial service for Sen. Paul Wellstone, was seeded with attendees drawn from volunteers and friends of Arizona's Organizing for America operation, the former Obama grassroots organization that is now managed by the Democratic National Committee.

Now, the White House is attempting to devise a media plan should Giffords' husband, Mark Kelly, fulfill his responsibilities as commander of April's Endeavour mission.

"This is the kind of opportunity every administration looks to take advantage of, not just us," says the White House staffer. "It's nothing different than what the Bush Administration tried to do with 9-11."

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/01/18/whos-afraid-of-darrell-issa

Where there's smoke there's fire, perhaps. Political organizations are devious, exploitative and exist for political gain. Not surprising at all too many if accurate.

POLITICAL LOCK AND LOAD

For more than a week, the White House, several political appointees inside the Department of Justice, and former Obama campaign staffers associated with Organizing for America have been coordinating on how President Barack Obama's administration can capitalize on the Tucson shooting tragedy and the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.).

According to a White House source, conference calls on how to message and politicize the attack began late in the evening Washington time the day of the shooting. "Of course we weren't going to let this thing go," says a White House staffer. "Republicans are incapable of capitalizing on these kinds of events because the policy positions for many of them on things like guns tend to make them defensive. From the very beginning we sought to tie the nutjob in Tucson to the tea partiers."

Another White House aide, reading materials supplied by the Department of Justice, cautioned against building an anti-tea party and anti-Republican campaign around the shooter, Jared Loughner. "You looked over the materials, and it was clear he wasn't a tea party guy or even a Republican. I just didn't see the upside, especially if the follow up stories made clear he wasn't who we were pushing friends in the media to portray."

But that didn't stop friends of the White House from doing its bidding, including pressing reporters to use Loughner's middle name, Lee, in press accounts.

"Every famous assassin has a middle name and the fact that his was 'Lee' made it all the better," says a former Obama 2008 campaign media consultant. "It isn't like we had to work hard on this one."

Other Obama Administration attempts to pump up the Loughner story included spreading misinformation initially reported in several national media outlets that the troubled young man might be a zealous pro-life advocate or was angry at Democrats' blocking of Obamacare repeal.

Last week's "Together We Thrive" memorial service in Tucson, where the President's remarks were greeted with enthusiastic cheering and applause, mirroring the politically disastrous 2002 memorial service for Sen. Paul Wellstone, was seeded with attendees drawn from volunteers and friends of Arizona's Organizing for America operation, the former Obama grassroots organization that is now managed by the Democratic National Committee.

Now, the White House is attempting to devise a media plan should Giffords' husband, Mark Kelly, fulfill his responsibilities as commander of April's Endeavour mission.

"This is the kind of opportunity every administration looks to take advantage of, not just us," says the White House staffer. "It's nothing different than what the Bush Administration tried to do with 9-11."

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/01/18/whos-afraid-of-darrell-issa

You will likely be blasted due to the source for this one.

Archived