Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which was the better use of 100+ Million dollars, Gilbert or Albert? (Poll)

bishtw

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

After reading Gilberts comments yesterday about teaching and deferring to John Wall I could help but think of his contract numbers and that its a little ridiculous to paying that kinda money for a mentor.

My question is who are we getting the most from in return for their contracts, Gilbert at $111 for 6 years or Albert 7 years $100 million? and why?

I'd say Gil even though since getting the contract he's barely played because of injury and then embarrassed the heck out of himself and his team with the gun thing. The reason being, he earned the contract through his exploits here. Everything Albert did that was great he did over there. He hasn't been great for us. We don't have a history of success with him or because of him. This city though really does poorly with it's mega contracts though. Juwan Howard, Gil, Haynesworth.... sigh.

For the love of God, Albert Haynesworth did not sign a 100 million dollar guaranteed contract. Please let this perception die.

Nobody mentioned guaranteed or not, and truly has little to do with the point of the question. The jest of it is DC is getting little in return for these two huge contracts and the stars that signed them, but thanks for your input, I'll make you down as undecided.

I'm the lone vote for Albert so far. To me Albert was deserving of the contract when he got it. Since then we all know how big of a disappointment he has been but Gilbert should've never gotten that contract.

Couple that with while Albert seems to be a bad teammate he does seem to be turning around ( a bit) and could actually add to the Skins while I don't see Gilberts value to the Wiz other than a huge contract they cannot get out from under given the difficult salary restrictions in the NBA.

If the Skins wanted to they make enough $$ they could ditch fat al.

Neither is a good use of that kind of money but I think Albert has better potential for actually living up to that contract even though he hasn't shown it yet.

The only mega contract I can think of which has worked out for DC is Ovi. He has thus far been worth every penny for the Caps franchise.
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: And amazongly, he's played just the same after his contract.

Albert should get some love on this poll. His play, no matter how many times he was gassed or hurt during the games last, still resulted in Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo having great years. I know our record STUNK, but he helped the defense last year. Gil just hasn't been healthy.

The wizards made the post season ONCE between 1988 and 2004. 1 time in 16 tries. They signed Gilbert Arenas in 2003 and after one year this happened:

2004-05: 45-37 Playoffs

2005-06: 42-40 Playoffs

2006-07: 41-41 Playoffs

2007-08: 43-39 Playoffs (Arenas injured most of the year)

2008-09: Horrible (2 games by Arenas)

2009-10: Horrible (Gold plated Deagles)

During the three seasons Arenas played most of the year and we made the post season he averaged 25.5, 29.3, and 28.4. I don't think the front office realized his knee was about to completely destroy itself.

Arenas had a huge impact on the Washington Wizards.

What the hell has Haynesworth done? Given us one "good" season and one where he can't even get on the field. It's not even a close comparison.

Arenas accomplished more before he signed but has been a train wreck since signing it. He has more potential to return to play at a high level than Haynesworth, but Haynesworth did more after signing his contract than Gil. I'd say the gun incident was a lot worse than the whole summer fiasco with Haynesworth, and Arenas hasn't really done anything since signing the contract. I will say though that based on all the information known before signing the contracts Gilberts was a lot more rational than Haynesworth. The assumption was by almost everyone that the knee would eventually get better and he would at the very least regain 85-90% of his form. He and the trainers completely mismanaged his injury and he ended up making his injury a lot worse than it had to be. When he was at his peak though he was absolutely unstoppable from anywhere inside half court. Haynesworth had obvious signs of problems but we were desperate to put together a decent line which hadn't existed in a long time in DC.

The wizards made the post season ONCE between 1988 and 2004. 1 time in 16 tries. They signed Gilbert Arenas in 2003 and after one year this happened:

2004-05: 45-37 Playoffs

2005-06: 42-40 Playoffs

2006-07: 41-41 Playoffs

2007-08: 43-39 Playoffs (Arenas injured most of the year)

2008-09: Horrible (2 games by Arenas)

2009-10: Horrible (Gold plated Deagles)

During the three seasons Arenas played most of the year and we made the post season he averaged 25.5, 29.3, and 28.4. I don't think the front office realized his knee was about to completely destroy itself.

Arenas had a huge impact on the Washington Wizards.

What the hell has Haynesworth done? Given us one "good" season and one where he can't even get on the field. It's not even a close comparison.

Ummmm, you do know Gilbert signed AFTER the season in which he MISSED 66 games due to his knee. Based on that, I am pretty sure the front office knew his knee was already destroyed when he signed the contract. It was probably the stupidest contract ever and it was only offered because the Wiz had bad PR around the league in regard to paying players, and they hoped he would rehab correctly. He never did. Since then he has not played, and has been a horrible distraction. Game, set, match, Gilbert.

Archived