Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

51 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Deni shot 2-12 last night and finished with 5 

that’s sad but at least the worst contract in the nba was benched.

y’all thought the worst contract was Beal, and the universe heard that as a challenge, 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Destino said:

that’s sad but at least the worst contract in the nba was benched.

y’all thought the worst contract was Beal, and the universe heard that as a challenge, 

I totally agree Poole's deal sucks. But that Beal $50Mish deal is nuts. 

I don't even have hope that in the offseason they hire a really great up and coming coach that could fix him. 

50 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Two more years of damn near unwatchable basketball jus to start a rebuild?

giphy(37).gif

I told you guys to be careful what you wish for. A tanking rebuild takes the better part of a decade. Three years of being absolute ass followed by three years of young players struggling to learn how to win in the nba. And that’s assuming you land two stars, otherwise it’s longer and worse. Just ask the kings how long it can take to get stars by being bad. 

we have two more years at least of hoping for top three picks. And remember this years draft is weak, so we could end up with another Otto Porter with the third pick scenario, which does nothing for us long term. 

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

I told you guys to be careful what you wish for. A tanking rebuild takes the better part of a decade. Three years of being absolute ass followed by three years of young players struggling to learn how to win in the nba. And that’s assuming you land two stars, otherwise it’s longer and worse. Just ask the kings how long it can take to get stars by being bad. 

we have two more years at least of hoping for top three picks. And remember this years draft is weak, so we could end up with another Otto Porter with the third pick scenario, which does nothing for us long term. 

I was probably one of three people that didn't want to do this but accepted their might not be another way.

Mystics made themselves relevant by packaging a trading for an MVP and got a ring out of it.

This is not the only way. Especially if we think some of these drafts we could have lotto picks in will be trash.

I've said before I expect them to suck for at least 10 more years. It is slight hyperbole, but there is more truth to it than not. A championship by the year 2040 would be miraculous. 

If it wasn't for that 1978 championship they would clearly be the worst NBA franchise ever. I would argue they still are. 

8 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I've said before I expect them to suck for at least 10 more years. It is slight hyperbole, but there is more truth to it than not. A championship by the year 2040 would be miraculous. 

If it wasn't for that 1978 championship they would clearly be the worst NBA franchise ever. I would argue they still are. 

2040?! Good lord. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

2040?! Good lord. 

Yeah haha. I mean, are they really going to hit on a generational talent in the draft? Probably not. This year's draft class is looking meager. I think the other factor is that no high caliber free agent wants to sign here. Like really, no one. DC simply is not an attractive destination. That means building from the ground up through the draft, which as you have pointed out takes a long time.

The other factor is that we have Ted Leonsis as an owner, who is a dimwit. We may be looking at a Snyder situation, where it will take a change of ownership before we see any real change.

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Yeah haha. I mean, are they really going to hit on a generational talent in the draft? Probably not. This year's draft class is looking meager. I think the other factor is that no high caliber free agent wants to sign here. Like really, no one. DC simply is not an attractive destination. That means building from the ground up through the draft, which as you have pointed out takes a long time.

The other factor is that we have Ted Leonsis as an owner, who is a dimwit. We may be looking at a Snyder situation, where it will take a change of ownership before we see any real change.

I agree 100%.  The only reason Leonsis isn't as hated as Snyder in this town, is because he's an old fashioned bad owner - in that he's clearly not smart, spends money the wrong way (think Beal and Wall's contracts), and he's stubbornly loyal to horrific front office guys that he hires (or aquires).  Think about how long it took for him to fire Ernie Grumfeld?  I was actually shocked that he smartened up and fired Tommy Shepherd when he did.

I should also add this:  Ovechkin is the only reason Leonsis isn't in that Dan Snyder territory as far as hated owners go.  He literally lucked into a Top 2 player in hockey for 20 years, and was able to get that lone championship.  If Ovechkin doesn't get drafted to the Caps, the Caps probably would've been just as mediocre as the Wizards have been the last 20 years.  The question now for the Wizards is how are they going to get that generational player through the draft?  This coming draft sucks, and the next one looks like it will be a good one.  If the Wizards luck into the 1st pick of the draft next year, they might have a chance to grab a potential generational player, but then it will be at least 3-5 years before we know that for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

He's pretty smug despite this truth. 

Of course he would be.  Winning a title in this town is NOT easy, as we have all learned the last 30+ years or so.  His Caps team was the first team in the area to break that long drought of conference championship appearances and then championships by cities with major pro sports teams.  Unfortunately, he can brag about that for decades to come, and live off of that accomplishment in the long term.  He’s never going to be truly hated by Caps fans.  Wizards fans though, are a different story.  Wizards fans might hate him almost as much as Redskins/Commanders fans hated Dan Snyder.  There’s no hope for that franchise AND their current droughts of 50 win seasons and conference championship appearances appears like it will continue for a long time to come.

19 hours ago, Destino said:

If you have bad management or unlucky, getting good is hard no matter what you do.  The length of time to win a championship is very hard to predict and is so much is determined by luck.  And whether you decide to tank or not doesn't change that.  But there is no real reason they should be bad for nearly a decade unless they are just very unlucky or badly managed.

OKC was 42-28 2019.  The next year they started their tank sort of.  This year, they'll be a high seed in the playoffs with a young and exciting team.  The Spurs will be good (maybe not championship level) next year if they want.  They'll have another high draft pick, money to sign FAs, and lift the minutes restriction on Wemby next year and be a much better team.

Even the Sixers, who were pretty unlucky, (got Nerlens Noel the first year of their tank, then Embiid (who missed the first 2 years), then Okafor, and then Simmons who missed his first season) were really only bad 4 years (tank really starts in 2013 and in 2017 they were 52-30).  While NBA has made tanking less valuable in terms of draft picks, they've made it even more valuable in terms of having salary flexibility.  If you can't have a young exciting upper tier playoff team in 5 years, you've either been very unlucky or have had bad management.

(though, this does appear to be a bad year to start a tank, and I'm not sure of some of the moves they've made.  I don't know why they didn't move more players at the deadline.

I'd also just send Poole home for the rest of the season.  Try to get him to sit down with a shrink and see if you can get his head straightened out.  Doing what they are doing with him isn't really helping anybody.  Their best bet would be if they could move him for something.)

Edited by PeterMP

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Currently have the most ping pong balls…. Jes sayin’

and what are they gon do with them? this draft class this year stinks

if wemby was coming out this year fine. they chose the wrong year to tank.

no future, no talent other than deni and kispert...just so sad. and how does kuz regress so much? He was red hot last year.

Yeah, but we paid him and surrounded him with next to nothing.  Regression was inevitable.

I tuned in at the end of the third quarter and was like, "Woo...what are you doing guys?  Are you trying to throw away ping pong balls?"

then came the fourth quarter, and I didn't even have to watch till the end to know the outcome.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 1

If Deni and Kispert are who you are building around, then you are ****ed from the get go lol.

Kispert isn't even a starter HERE.  Think about how "not good" you are if you can't even start on the Wizards.

And Deni would be on the bench on any competent team.