Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Breakout?

He's averaging 13 ppg right, he was averaging 11 last year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kispeco01.html

At some point towards end of last year he was averaging what Beal was, close to 23 ppg.  major disappointment in my book he's barely averaging half that.

You want to make case he's improving, sure, I guess, numbers technically support that.  Be nice as a 1st round pick he's averaging at least 15 next season, 20 by year 5.

You're not looking at him in context.  Cuz he's basically been different once they dumped Unseld and he started getting more minutes.  His numbers were suppressed because he was only getting about 20-21 minutes a night.  Basically, since February, he's 30+ mpg and averaging 17ppg since Keefe has been there, which is the last 30-40 games.  As far as Kispert is concerned, it was coaching holding him back, not the player.

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We're gonna end up with the number 1 pick in what'll be the worst class since 2001, ironically one of the other times we got the number 1 pick. Sandwiched between two franchise game changers.

I mean, there's no reason on earth we won't be one of the odds-on favorites to get the #1 pick next year too.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Basically, since February, he's 30+ mpg and averaging 17ppg since Keefe has been there, which is the last 30-40 games.  As far as Kispert is concerned, it was coaching holding him back, not the player.

No ****...

17ppg is still less then 23 ppg...so is he regressing in that context?  Either way it sounds like we screwing up his development l, which continues to be my overall point with respect to our overall "team building" strategy right now...

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No ****...

17ppg is still less then 23 ppg...so is he regressing in that context?  Either way it sounds like we screwing up his development l, which continues to be my overall point with respect to our overall "team building" strategy right now...

At no point was he averaging 23ppg.  His best month was 18ppg in April, which was only 5 games.  

I guess we see it differently, he actually is developing and getting better every year.  He's getting confidence, he's adding things to his game, he's more efficient.  I dont see what the problem is.  He's not a star, but he's a good, promising young player.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Drafting is the name of the game.  There is no other way around it, because no free agents want to sign here.  Aside from that, as Renegade mentioned, player development is essential.  We gotta somehow get better with what we currently have.  We need to get a good coaching staff.

It is a long bleak road, sad to say.  

100% agree with everyone talking about player development. Need high ceiling guys and they will need minutes to go through the growing pains. It's going to take time but next season will be far more enjoyable because there will be the beginning of a new core with Deni, Bilal, Vukcevic plus two first round picks this season. Plus I expect the Wiz to trade at least Kuzma for a couple of 1sts or a first and a young player which will help build assets. 

There is going to be a lot of losing next season but there is an actual plan finally. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, justice98 said:

At no point was he averaging 23ppg.  His best month was 18ppg in April, which was only 5 games.  

This is from last year, I remember the tweet somewhere in this thread because season wasn't over yet and Beal wasn't even highest scoring player on team, Unicorn was.

57 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I guess we see it differently, he actually is developing and getting better every year.  He's getting confidence, he's adding things to his game, he's more efficient.  I dont see what the problem is.  He's not a star, but he's a good, promising young player.

Hes a first round pick, we do need some of them to be stars instead of role players at some point.

kind of mixed on Edey or clingan. both fill a need in the front court but they are whelming. would give Edey an edge but neither are really ground breaking prospects 

castle is a freshman and he was impressive but we don't need another guard 

On 4/9/2024 at 10:10 AM, ixcuincle said:

kind of mixed on Edey or clingan. both fill a need in the front court but they are whelming. would give Edey an edge but neither are really ground breaking prospects 

castle is a freshman and he was impressive but we don't need another guard 

Edey is slow. Glacial. He has no future in the NBA as a starter, though I’d be surprised if he didn’t hang around on the bench. He’s huge and rebounds well. There’s always the possibility that he might develop enough offense to be useful and 7’4 players don’t grow on trees. We all saw how long Boban stuck around in the NBA, and he didn’t have much game other than just being enormous.

Clingan is the better prospect but he’s really just a high energy big with no offense. I think he can be a starter in the NBA, but not a star. It’s a shame he wasn’t developed better, because with his speed and size, he’d be dangerous if skilled. As he is though he’s not the sort of player you’d want out of a lottery pick where you’re hoping for bigs like Embid, KAT, Wemby, AD, etc. Guys that force the opposing team to account for what they bring offensively. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think the wizards should draft a Zaccharie Risacher. I know I know. Another foreign born wing player?! lol the difference this time, is this young man is 18 and is hitting threes off the dribble. A 6-9 wing that can drive and shoot off the bounce? That’s hard to pass up in this draft. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Edey is slow. Glacial. He has no future in the NBA as a starter, though I’d be surprised if he didn’t hang around on the bench. He’s huge and rebounds well. There’s always the possibility that he might develop enough offense to be useful and 7’4 players don’t grow on trees. We all saw how long Boban stuck around in the NBA, and he didn’t have much game other than just being enormous.

Clingan is the better prospect but he’s really just a high energy big with no offense. I think he can be a starter in the NBA, but not a star. It’s a shame he wasn’t developed better, because with his speed and size, he’d be dangerous if skilled. As he is though he’s not the sort of player you’d want out of a lottery pick where you’re hoping for bigs like Embid, KAT, Wemby, AD, etc. Guys that force the opposing team to account for what they bring offensively. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think the wizards should draft a Zaccharie Risacher. I know I know. Another foreign born wing player?! lol the difference this time, is this young man is 18 and is hitting threes off the dribble. A 6-9 wing that can drive and shoot off the bounce? That’s hard to pass up in this draft. 

I see that he’s mocked to Washington at 2. I watched some of his highlights. He has a lot of smooth athleticism. But his jumper release looks really slow. Of course all of these guys have major warts. But I wonder if he’ll be able to get his shot off in the NBA.

34 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I see that he’s mocked to Washington at 2. I watched some of his highlights. He has a lot of smooth athleticism. But his jumper release looks really slow. Of course all of these guys have major warts. But I wonder if he’ll be able to get his shot off in the NBA.

The fact that he shoots on the move gives me hope. Spot up shooting just can’t be trusted sometimes, but guys that can pull up usually can shoot for real.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Long read but fair view into the current state on mind of individuals on and involved with the team...about what you expect, so hurt me more to read it and confirm it...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39918616/washington-wizards-rebuild-nba

The problem is that the rebuild led the Wizards to the worst record in franchise history. And there are many more years of this **** without a future.

Winger basically blew the team up to nothing and we are expected to be excited or hopeful about this team?

I would have kept the .500 team and added on. Instead we can't draw free agents (best FA Wiz ever got are Arenas and Pierce) and can't play worth a damn. I'll give him another year but Winger has NOT gotten off to a good start.

We all knew it would be a long process. There are no surefire ways to rebuild a team into a contender.

Holding onto Beal and Porzingis wouldn't have accomplished much - wasn't Porzingis on an expiring contract anyway? And Beal was eating up so much salary he was preventing us from making any real moves. Dude sucks anyway. 

Oh and no one thought Poole would suck so bad. I knew he was wack, I called it a long time ago you can look it up, but damn I didn't think he would be horrific. Hopefully we can flip him for something valuable in the off-season, but I have a feeling we are stuck with him for a few years at least.

This was a good article. Poole has found a bit of a role as a ball-handling type the back end of the season.  Part of the issue to me is that the worst losers get shamed, but only 1 team gets a chip.  Technically, everyone but the last 4 teams left is tanking and a loser.

16 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Don't forget trading Gafford for a 1st in a historically weak draft.

The quality of the draft is irrelevant. The purpose of that trade was for a first round pick, which is valuable currency in the NBA. That pick can now be flipped, packaged, traded down, or traded for a future draft.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

The quality of the draft is irrelevant. The purpose of that trade was for a first round pick, which is valuable currency in the NBA. That pick can now be flipped, packaged, traded down, or traded for a future draft.

Also, I look at so many international and G league names in these mocks. It's a different era now. Who knows if it's a strong or weak class? I think it's just harder to scout and develop than ever, period. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1