Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

10 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I wouldn't mind having sarr vuc deni kispert and Davis as starters I take back what I said. this team can be young and exciting. 

Davis and starting shouldn't be in same sentence unless it's some variation of "Davis shouldn't be starting).

I watched the Timberwolves game the other day where Ant put up 51, erased the lead we built on them, and basically won the game by himself.

We cannot compete in this league without one or two players that can do that and it not seem like a freak accident.

@abdcskins is right, even in modest optimist of the development of your proposed starting 5 in 2-3 years is still a lottery team at best. There is no elite talent on this team to develop yet. Yet.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

They competed hard with Chicago today.

Who else would they need to not get annihilated.

They gave up 129 points in a late-season game to a Bulls team starting a bunch of randoms.

As Renegade mentioned, Davis is not a starting caliber player. He is barely an NBA caliber player. Avdija and Kispert are good role players on a quality-level NBA team, but they aren't guys that can start night in and night out and give you consistent production. Vukevic looks like he can score a little bit, but he is unproven. And Sarr is a complete question mark.

You need stars in the NBA to compete. Guys who play hard on both ends of the floor and who can stuff the stat sheet. Guys who can get buckets on a consistent basis and make the players around them better. The Wizards have no one like that.

Who knows about the players they currently have? Need to bring in their future coach and have a plan on who to develop and how long it should take..... and then hope to get lucky in the draft with a guy who just explodes out there.

Last offseason and this season was about getting Beal off the books, creating cap room, and getting as many draft assets as possible. Next year COULD be the same just with the idea that you'll have Coulibaly in year 2 and 19/20 years old. I guess you'll have Vukcevic at 21/22. No idea what the Poole plan is. He'll be like 25. Maybe they can get him going and either he's part of their plans or a trade piece.

This offseason will be telling with what they do with their coaching staff and maybe front office additions to scouting.

Also, those Alt Unis this year. They should do a "Off our backs" thing where a fan can win one and then throw it into a burning dumpster. God, those were terrible. 

9 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Who knows about the players they currently have? Need to bring in their future coach and have a plan on who to develop and how long it should take..... and then hope to get lucky in the draft with a guy who just explodes out there.

Last offseason and this season was about getting Beal off the books, creating cap room, and getting as many draft assets as possible. Next year COULD be the same just with the idea that you'll have Coulibaly in year 2 and 19/20 years old. I guess you'll have Vukcevic at 21/22. No idea what the Poole plan is. He'll be like 25. Maybe they can get him going and either he's part of their plans or a trade piece.

This offseason will be telling with what they do with their coaching staff and maybe front office additions to scouting.

Also, those Alt Unis this year. They should do a "Off our backs" thing where a fan can win one and then throw it into a burning dumpster. God, those were terrible. 

This team isn't winning anything for years.  Deni is the only one who maybe could play in an all-star game once.  He's still extremely valuable (especially with his cheap contract extension).  Plus, their pick goes to the Knicks if it falls out of the top 10 next year or top 8 the year after that (if they are still bad, then they owe two second rounders instead).  There is no way they are going to be good simply because of that liability.  They are in Y1 of a massive rebuild.  It'll take 4-5 years before they can sniff trying to compete for a title (they have to be extremely lucky to draft all-star caliber talents).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Far more then you're implying.

Sorry, but imo only play that has passed rhe potential star eye test is Kuzma, and that's because he's a match up nightmare and not timid.

Everyone else we'd know by now, and we do know, that's why we tanking.

Edited by Renegade7

23 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Those two Dookies just declared for the draft. I think they are both projected lottery guys. Don't want them for Washington but adds more to the "quality" of the class. 

This draft is all time bad, even with those two Duke players declaring. This draft class is incredibly sad, and it’s hilarious that this stupid as **** team decided that they should start their tank job NOW, instead of last season or the season before.  The Bradley Beal deal will be the most devastating move this franchise has or will make for at least a decade.  If they had smartened up and had cut their losses and not resigned that bum, their future would look a whole lot rosier.  Ted Leonsis is the dumbest billionaire alive, and the worst owner in sports currently.  Only the Oakland A’s owner might have an argument for being worse.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the Gafford trade especially in a weak draft. Why does it matter if we get a 1st rounder in return.

"The pick is just collateral."

I guess I'll feel better if they draft Sarr but Gafford was pretty damn good here and a fan favorite

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I have no clue how the lottery system works, but the fact that they have a better shot at 5 and 6 over 1 and 2 is just really ****ing stupid.

It’s because there is a floor to how far they can fall. You can see that they have a better chance at moving up than they do at staying the same. And then the chance decreases for the third and fourth slot. If there wasn’t a floor, the chance to pick 5 would be less than 4, but the chance to pick 7 would be greater than 0.

Honestly, who the **** cares where they finish in this upcoming draft lottery?  This draft is so terrible, that they actually might get a player at 5, who will be a better player than who ever gets drafted at 1 or 2.  This isn't last year, where if you weren't picking Top 2 (or at #1), then you were crushed.  This draft is is all time bad, so who ever they draft might end up being not more than a role player at best.  Next year's draft is where you will start to worry where they finish record wise.

Not being able to land Wemby is such a death knell man. That was our window to become a contender. We just always seem to JUUUUUST miss out. Meanwhile the Spurs are going to have another freaking dynasty.

I hate the NBA.

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

It’s because there is a floor to how far they can fall. You can see that they have a better chance at moving up than they do at staying the same. And then the chance decreases for the third and fourth slot. If there wasn’t a floor, the chance to pick 5 would be less than 4, but the chance to pick 7 would be greater than 0.

This didn't help me understand it one bit.

I'd actually say it confuses me even more lmao.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Ain't no way they went through all the BS this year and 15 wins just to draft at 5

AIN'T NO WAY

Seems some folks are new to how this tanking thing actually works.

The lottery is specifically designed to avoid rewarding teams that intentionally tank.

What, yall thought because we finally intetionally lose the NBA would jus give us the pick we want when they openly don't want us to do that?

Another reason I've been against this and hoped it didn't come to this.

The absolute most Wizards thing possible is to not only finally tank in a historically bad draft year, but to get the 5th or 6th pick despite the 2nd worst record.

Jus because you said that that's now what's going to happen.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

Honestly, who the **** cares where they finish in this upcoming draft lottery?  This draft is so terrible, that they actually might get a player at 5, who will be a better player than who ever gets drafted at 1 or 2.  This isn't last year, where if you weren't picking Top 2 (or at #1), then you were crushed.  This draft is is all time bad, so who ever they draft might end up being not more than a role player at best.  Next year's draft is where you will start to worry where they finish record wise.

That's how you know the Wiz will end up with the #1 pick this year, it's supposed to be a bad draft.

• Haha 1

Hope y'all know that this team will be tanking next year as well. It's not like they planned to tank just for this draft and be done. It's all about collecting young assets and there will be good players in this draft. The lack of a Wemby doesn't mean all top-10 players will be busts. 

45 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

So... Who are the Mystics taking tonight? 

Angel Reese is projected after their pick. But if you aren't getting Clark. Who raises your team profile more? 

A lot of mocks have hs taking Aaliyah Edwards with Reese still available...I'm trying to understand why...

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's how you know the Wiz will end up with the #1 pick this year, it's supposed to be a bad draft.

LOL, 100% right.  If any team were to end up with the #1 pick in a historically bad draft, it would be the Wizards.  This team will be just as bad record wise next year, but of course there’s no guarantee that they’ll end up with the #1 pick, especially if they get the #1 pick for THIS year’s draft.

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

So... Who are the Mystics taking tonight? 

Angel Reese is projected after their pick. But if you aren't getting Clark. Who raises your team profile more? 

There are doubts Reese's game will translate well to the WNBA. She played bully ball in the NCAA but shes only 6'3 and has no range, at least none that she showed in games. The WNBA has longer front courts and values spacing more. This is why I'm seeing videos of Angel shooting threes on social media. It won't surprise me if she falls in the draft.

Then again in a cash starved league a young player that drives ratings might be worth the risk. Besides there's no reason to think she won't be able to develop a three ball. If she does she instantly becomes a three and D option with a ton of toughness.

• Like 1