Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I'm honestly wondering if that punch and getting knocked out changed his brain, such as decision-making, coordination, balance. Seriously, head injuries are no joke.

Maybe, but I'm convinced him being the one that got traded broke him as a professional. 

That was clearly a mistake having seen how Draymond is treating it as enabling and its gotten out of control out there now with him.

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe, but I'm convinced him being the one that got traded broke him as a professional. 

That was clearly a mistake having seen how Draymond is treating it as enabling and its gotten out of control out there now with him.

Yeah I agree. For Jordan I can't imagine how humiliating that must be, everyone in the league seeing the video and then being publicly exiled.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:05 AM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I agree with Craig...

I just listened to the follow up interview. Monumental really doesn't care all that much about the sports teams. This is, in their words, "more about the opportunity to diversify the portfolio of what they are offering." They want more concerts and events so they will use two building for that purpose. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the game last night with the family. Had great seats and the kids thoroughly enjoyed the experience. 

We were four rows behind the scorers table. Our kids thought it was super cool getting to see the players check in and out and getting to see / hear the player interactions with each other. 

They may not be a great team but the experience of going to a game was great.  

IMG_1813.jpeg

Edited by GoCommiesGo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Folks who say they fine with a rebuild are lying...these games are over before you can find your seat in the arena. 

What page was this thread on when it was bumped?  Imagine 3 years of this trying to replicate The Process?

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Folks who say they fine with a rebuild are lying...these games are over before you can find your seat in the arena. 

What page was this thread on when it was bumped?  Imagine 3 years of this trying to replicate The Process?

Oh. I'm definitely not fine with this.

I thought Bradley needed to go (contract) but I didn't think this needed to be a complete rebuild.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

I think it was needed. Giving Wall and Beal those gigantic contracts were the beginning of the end. Combined with continual horrible free agent signings (Ian Mahinmi and Davis Bertans anyone?) and wack drafting. This franchise has done absolutely nothing right and it killed a bunch of die-hard fans like me. 

A complete tear down was needed. We have suffered this long, what's another 5 or so years? 😖 Joke of a franchise it makes me a little upset honestly. Would love to have a good NBA team in DC, we deserve it.

59 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39306976/pistons-trade-marvin-bagley-iii-wizards-sources-say

That's a good trade. Bagley has upside and gives us some much needed size. Pick up two second rounders too from the Pistons, which should be fairly high second rounders.

No issue with it. He is already used to playing on a terrible team. Winger and Dawkins probably still plan on more moves. 

Yeah, not like Gallinari and Muscala were part of our future plans anyway. Hopefully they can figure out a way to unload Poole. I'd take a second rounder for him - I know with salary implications we would have to take on some expiring contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, abdcskins said:

Yeah, not like Gallinari and Muscala were part of our future plans anyway. Hopefully they can figure out a way to unload Poole. I'd take a second rounder for him - I know with salary implications we would have to take on some expiring contracts.

Amen. Give me all the expiring deals. Only thing that could make tanking better is getting all the bigger deals for guys who won't be there in two years off the books. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 7:57 AM, GoCommiesGo said:

Went to the game last night with the family. Had great seats and the kids thoroughly enjoyed the experience. 

We were four rows behind the scorers table. Our kids thought it was super cool getting to see the players check in and out and getting to see / hear the player interactions with each other. 

They may not be a great team but the experience of going to a game was great.  

IMG_1813.jpeg

Nice, I didn't sit far from this spot for a game like 4-5 years ago. More to the right. Against Toronto with Leonard. Close enough to hear Beal whine to the refs during timeouts, and not in a way that would sway the ref in his favor. Like a "Mommy, I want ice cream for dinner" voice. Totally turned me on him. Game went to OT.  Beal had a good game. Over 40pts, with a bunch of turnovers if I remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This is the worst team in basketball right now.

Are we fixing anything off the court at least?

nah. Near as I can tell burning it all down is the plan. This is year one of the tank-a-thon. This team will be absolute ass for the foreseeable future. Years of this remain. 

3 hours ago, Destino said:

nah. Near as I can tell burning it all down is the plan. This is year one of the tank-a-thon. This team will be absolute ass for the foreseeable future. Years of this remain. 

So what about facility improvements?

Scouting department investments?

Anything you change the perception our medical staff make things worse?

At least Harris made stadium improvements, did new front office recommend it and Ted said "only if Mayor pays for it"?

It's one thing to suck, I expect that, but a whole lot has change for nothing to change period.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So what about facility improvements?

they built a new practice facility relatively recently. They’re building a new arena in Alexandria.

Scouting department investments?

not sure what’s happened to the scouting department but we got a new GM in 2023.

Anything you change the perception our medical staff make things worse?

I don’t think they’ve ever accepted their medical staff is bad.

They'll never be good unless they hit on a generational talent in the draft.  They had guys like Wall and Beal, guys that were very very good, sometimes even great, but not enough.

I keep thinking of the Bucks and Giannis.  Milwaukee was a frozen outpost for free agents and it still is.  They were mediocre at best until they hit on Giannis in the draft.  No one knew how good he was going to be, no one could have predicted what he became, not even the Bucks.  They also hit on Middleton in the draft.  Could also say the same about Jokic and Murray in Denver.

But they still haven't been able to sign a marquee free agent, their success has been built on the draft and swinging some trades for guys like Jrue Holiday and Damian Lillard.  That's how ****ed the NBA is from a certain perspective...they have a guy like Giannis and no free agent wants to go there.  Pick any big time free agent that's been on the market since Giannis has emerged as a force and the Bucks still haven't been an option.

The Wizards are an outpost, just not a frozen one...but they might as well be, it's basketball Siberia.  If you're a good NBA player (not even a great one), there's no reason to go to Washington when you can have sunny weather in a place like LA or Miami or play in a major media market like New York or play for a contender like Boston.  

The draft and trades, that's the only way I can see how the Wizards ever become relevant again.  

39 minutes ago, Destino said:

they built a new practice facility relatively recently. They’re building a new arena in Alexandria.

It's one of rhe few in the NBA that's shared.  They arent going anyway, Richmond is not paying for that BS.

not sure what’s happened to the scouting department but we got a new GM in 2023.

I've been waiting for word of an overhaul in scouting for a while with new GM and front office structure...still nada...

I don’t think they’ve ever accepted their medical staff is bad.

Of course not...Inova pays a lot of ads that benefit Ted, bite the hand that feeds them?  Takes balls he hasn't proven he has yet.