Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

28 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Didn't know yesterday I'd be attending his last game as coach

Sad but had to be done. Wizards were just too bad this year.

But that was the plan, so I don't get why this is insinuated to be his fault.

Thr team is playing better, I watched last game, much more competitive lately.

I now question what's going, some of them said they came here because he was here...what did they expect or is this bigger then what we know?

I'm not surprised by the move. It would've happened at the end of the season so it's fine getting a head start of changes. They needed to give Wes and opportunity since WUJ is probably a Leonsis guy. Even in a tanking season Wes makes a lot of questionable decisions.

My expectation is that multiple trades will follow and it was time to have a new voice in an attempt to start rebuilding some type of value with Poole. 

They are totally tanking, but maybe Winger/Dawkins didn't like what they saw in the development of some guys or mins for others. Maybe they want someone to get more out of Poole so he's easier to move?

I am surprised they made this change now. But whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Poole is broken and cannot be fixed by a broken organization.

Now would be a good time for the organization to give some clarity on when they plan to be competitive.

What kinds coach will come here with any credibility if we are inte tionally trying to lose? 

I do believe Wes needed more seasoning before he was ready to be a head coach...or maybe this jus isn't for him and that's why the conversation was to move him into the front office instead of firing him.

It's obvious powers that be like this guy, otherwise he'd been gone by now.  Kinda reminds me of what's happened with Doug Williams and the Redskins, here because of name, not good at their original role, but still here because they are good at something amd well liked/respected.

17 hours ago, abdcskins said:

People were excited when he was hired. Then they realized he sucked as a head coach.

Yeah, when he was hired I felt like it was because nobody else would come coach for Ted. Mainly because then Ted wouldn't admit starting over was a must. I feel back for Unseld but he'll be an assistant somewhere when he's not longer here. He's not old. He'll get his career back on track. Maybe HC again now that he hopefully can identify where he needs to improve. It's not all on him. His rosters here have never been better than meh.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Welp, the Suns came to town and totally smoked us.

Yup Beal had 43 on 21 shots. He enjoyed his visit to the wizard tank depot.

the downside is that the wizards have once again managed to be horrible the year of a very weak draft. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Yup Beal had 43 on 21 shots. He enjoyed his visit to the wizard tank depot.

the downside is that the wizards have once again managed to be horrible the year of a very weak draft. 

Tommy Sheppard set this franchise back almost a decade with that Beal contract and his terrible draft record. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

Tommy Sheppard set this franchise back almost a decade with that Beal contract and his terrible draft record. 

I don't disagree with the Beal contract, but what in the draft record was really horrible?  Picking outside of the Top 5 consistently is not good for getting NBA talent. 

Johnny Davis was a horrible pick -- but even he was picked at 10.  Everyone else has been meh, but not really horrible.  

I was reading what the expected value of draft picks was.  Pretty much pick order is a good predictor of future value with 1 through 5 having really good value, and falling off a bit going through it. I think Kispert, Rui and Deni have pretty good value for what they are.  They could just be average.  Don't look at the redraft... 

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I don't disagree with the Beal contract, but what in the draft record was really horrible?  Picking outside of the Top 5 consistently is not good for getting NBA talent. 

Johnny Davis was a horrible pick -- but even he was picked at 10.  Everyone else has been meh, but not really horrible.  

I was reading what the expected value of draft picks was.  Pretty much pick order is a good predictor of future value with 1 through 5 having really good value, and falling off a bit going through it. I think Kispert, Rui and Deni have pretty good value for what they are.  They could just be average.  Don't look at the redraft... 

Lot of people thought in this thread Haliburton was the obvious pick over Avidja.  But the fact that they were consistently drafting outside the top 5 illustrates the failure of team building.  They got stuck playing subpar basketball with Beal as the franchise centerpiece, always being below average, but not terrible enough to land premium picks.  And then they gave a dumbass supermax to Beal the year of the Wemby sweepstakes.  Aside from it being a terrible contract, it's just a terrible decision to double down on mediocrity in the year they should have been shooting for a top pick.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Haliburton aside, look at some of the picks immediately after the Wiz picks. Guys that are strong two way players or emerging stars or in some cases already stars. The Wiz never hit on these picks. When you are a bad team, meh picks don't help move the needle at all.

Rui wasn't very good here. Had a few nice moments and some flashes but inconsistent and missed a lot of time. Deni is okay and has gotten better this season, but doesn't have a high ceiling despite what Deni-stans think. (the most annoying fanbase in Wiz history) Corey is a one dimensional player, which isn't a recipe for a contending team let alone when a team is bad and needs starting caliber players. If he isn't scoring, he's not contributing. Johnny Davis, enough said cause I don't want to pile on. 

Ultimately, these draft picks didn't improve the team in any meaningful way, hence the terrible draft record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Jordan Poole in complete shambles right now.

It's hard to tell on tv, but it's clear as day when at the game fans are regularly booing him when he does stupid ****. 

Went with Wife and kids tonight, goodness, team is playing better, but Poole is playing like absolute trash right now.

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Omg, wtf is this?!?!

And Delle Donne gone, too?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10108497-report-elena-delle-donne-to-take-time-away-from-wnba-wont-sign-mystics-contract

Damn, is Austin the face of the team now, or what's left?

Yeah, maybe you missed it but our GM put out a statement about going in a new (younger) direction.

It's time.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, maybe you missed it but our GM put out a statement about going in a new (younger) direction.

It's time.

Sounds like a rebuild.

Some players I saw coming, like DD, but id like clarification on if we told Cloud we wouldn't resign her or she didn't want to stick around for the rebuild. 

Cloud was the heart of that team and became their best player with DD falling off, now they have no identity and a nepo hite at HC.

I'm scared.

My Wife remembers jersey numbers more then names, I'm better with names then jersey numbers.

Last night she was going off about #13, stuff like that is how I know she's actually paying attention getting idea for when something truly looks wrong or right.

Idc how they do it, but Poole needs to go. Figure it out.