Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Other than Beal, our best players are centers/power forwards.

Honestly I forgot we had Porzingis, so I suppose the pick makes more sense.  I expect bigger things from Gafford.  I hope Todd can develop.  And then with Bryant, Carey, Rui, and Deni then yeah I can see why they drafted Davis.  

I like Davis' game by the way, good shooter who can create his own shot.  

• Like 1

My recently divorced and somewhat hot for a late 30-something neighbor had two tix to a draft party tonight and needed a plus 1.  If this happens in the future, let me know if you have any interest in accompanying a somewhat hot for a late 30-something mom with FU money who is very southern but pretty cool to social engagements.  If it works out, we can negotiate my finders fee.  

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My recently divorced and somewhat hot for a late 30-something neighbor had two tix to a draft party tonight and needed a plus 1.  If this happens in the future, let me know if you have any interest in accompanying a somewhat hot for a late 30-something mom with FU money who is very southern but pretty cool to social engagements.  If it works out, we can negotiate my finders fee.  

PB can likely be had for a 12 yo bottle of McLellan.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I wish to hear more about the "FU money" good sir. My money bin isn't quite as full as it could be.

I-Should-Buy-A-Boat-Cat.jpg

• Haha 4

I was really hoping for a trade up or trade for a player that would move the needle.  Didn’t happen.  Johnny Davis looks like another good role player to add to a team with far too many.  I think I’ll enjoy rooting for him but the wizards need to put together a package for another player that can create his own shot and get tough buckets in crunch time.  

6 hours ago, Destino said:

I was really hoping for a trade up or trade for a player that would move the needle.  Didn’t happen.  Johnny Davis looks like another good role player to add to a team with far too many.  I think I’ll enjoy rooting for him but the wizards need to put together a package for another player that can create his own shot and get tough buckets in crunch time.  

At some point the franchise has to get better at helping these role players be more then that.  Not all of them have star potential, but some do and should be more then role players for their career.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

At some point the franchise has to get better at helping these role players be more then that.  Not all of them have star potential, but some do and should be more then role players for their career.

Agreed.  Unseld Jr had a rep of developing players in Denver.  We saw Kuzma take a step forward last year.  That’s going to be as to whether or not he has success here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I wish to hear more about the "FU money" good sir. My money bin isn't quite as full as it could be.

I'm happily married, but this would be an interesting story to watch develop if you went through with it :)

On a basketball note, I'm a little bummed we didn't follow the "draft a Euro I've never heard of and stash him for six years" script.  Those are always the most exciting draft nights.

• Haha 1

Davis is a solid pick considering the GM we are stuck with. Shep doesn’t want to trade his recent draft picks cause he’s emotionally invested in them. So moving them to try to move up was never going to happen. 

The problem remains that this team is still trying to win and rebuild at the same time which means another shot at the playin game. 

Good thing about Davis was how terrible his supporting cast was. He had to take a lot of shots because he was the main scorer on the team. I’m not too concerned with his shooting percentages, teams were focused on him because of the lack of offensive fire power on Wisconsin. 

Edited by SuperBash
  • Like 1

Sheppard was on the radio this morning saying PG was still a priority.  Not sure how long you can play a PG, Beal, and Davis together, but I do think you have enough playmaking ability with Deni, Beal, and Davis on the floor together.  Maybe instead of Murray, Brogdon, and SGA, they bring in a guy who is a solid backup to settle things down if they need a true PG. 

24 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Sheppard was on the radio this morning saying PG was still a priority.  Not sure how long you can play a PG, Beal, and Davis together, but I do think you have enough playmaking ability with Deni, Beal, and Davis on the floor together.  Maybe instead of Murray, Brogdon, and SGA, they bring in a guy who is a solid backup to settle things down if they need a true PG. 

Entirely possible it means Neto is gone and a capable PG that won't take many minutes away from Davis is the priority. 

I don't see us Coby White'ing the dude, more like making sure we have someone else that can run the offense versus putting all the marbles on him his first year in the NBA, which is fair.

9 hours ago, Destino said:

I think we need a big who can be dominant on defense and the glass.  We built around a guard who is supposed to be one of the best scorers in the league.  We have always needed a big who can be a true partner to him/Wall and be the anchor for an elite defense.  Instead, all we've ever done is half assed attempts to bring role players bigs or guys who are washed up or injured or flawed like Nene, Gortat, Mahinmi, Dwight, Bryant, Porzingis etc.  We needed to move Heaven and Earth to get that kind of big and we just never even took a real shot.  That's why we never contended and still won't.  Never even won 50 games.

Johnny Davis can be a good player and we will still have accomplished absolutely nothing.  This team build is finnished.  The franchise desperately needs new leadership and they need to let Beal walk and start over from square one, bottom out, and hope they nail a high lottery pick on a big wing or big man next time.  No more trying to build around 6'4 guards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think we need a big who can be dominant on defense and the glass.  We built around a guard who is supposed to be one of the best scorers in the league.  We have always needed a big who can be a true partner to him/Wall and be the anchor for an elite defense.  Instead, all we've ever done is half assed attempts to bring role players bigs or guys who are washed up or injured or flawed like Nene, Gortat, Mahinmi, Dwight, Bryant, Porzingis etc.  We needed to move Heaven and Earth to get that kind of big and we just never even took a real shot.  That's why we never contended and still won't.  Never even won 50 games.

Johnny Davis can be a good player and we will still have accomplished absolutely nothing.  This team build is finnished.  The franchise desperately needs new leadership and they need to let Beal walk and start over from square one, bottom out, and hope they nail a high lottery pick on a big wing or big man next time.  No more trying to build around 6'4 guards.

Who is that big and how are we getting him?  

As for PG, Tyus Jones is an idea for the MLE if they are comfortable with Davis, Beal, and Deni handling the ball.

If they do that, we could be looking at: Davis, Beal, Deni, Kuzma, Porzingis, Jones, Kispert, Rui, Gafford, Todd, Carey. They also have KCP who you could keep around.  Or move him.  Then you’d likely need to get another back court reserve.