Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

36 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Says he could be had for the MLE that we likely won’t use on Jones.  He’s a huge injury risk, but at that rate…

He plays good defense, but it’d also take minutes away from Davis.

12 hours ago, bearrock said:

A season gone bad and a lucky bounce and suddenly those picks can take you places.  And there are three chances to make that happen (and if anybody can squeeze developemental value out of a pick, it would be SA). 

Also it's not as if Beal would push them over the top.  It locks them in the same shooting for the play in game purgatory that we're in.  Add in Beal's age, what exactly is the upside for SA?  They are much better off tanking and hoping to land the next transcendent talent (which is what Washington should be doing).

The Hawks have made the playoffs more consistently over the past 20 years than any other team in the East, and the Spurs are the Spurs.  Hoping for an early lotto pick from the choices San Antonio has is like planning your retirement around winning the lottery.  To be clear, trading Beal for three late firsts would not actually be a good trade for us, but something we would accept in the eventuality that he's made up his mind to go to San Antonio.  It's that or get nothing back at all.

The reason it'd make sense for San Antonio to do it is they'd be trading coins for paper, which you almost always want to do in the NBA if you can, as well as the fact that Pop is in his 70s and he doesn't have the time (nor the personality) for a prolonged rebuild.

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The Hawks have made the playoffs more consistently over the past 20 years than any other team in the East, and the Spurs are the Spurs.  Hoping for an early lotto pick from the choices San Antonio has is like planning your retirement around winning the lottery.  To be clear, trading Beal for three late firsts would not actually be a good trade for us, but something we would accept in the eventuality that he's made up his mind to go to San Antonio.  It's that or get nothing back at all.

The reason it'd make sense for San Antonio to do it is they'd be trading coins for paper, which you almost always want to do in the NBA if you can, as well as the fact that Pop is in his 70s and he doesn't have the time (nor the personality) for a prolonged rebuild.

I don’t think that first sentence is true.  The Celtics have only missed the playoffs 3 times in that past 20 years. Pacers 7 times. Nets 8 times. Bucks 8 times. Heat 5 times.

15 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Why would San Antonio make this trade?  Was it a tank for Wembanyama move?

They are so close to having max cap space and Pop is 73.  He can't have but so many years of coaching left.  And if Beal wanted to get himself to a high quality organization, isn't San Antonio the only one that really makes sense?  If I were Beal, San Antonio is for sure where I would want to go.

Should we be concerned that this trade was made in order to pursue Beal?

And let's say it was, should we really feel bad if he walks?

Read that Rich Paul said that Murray had zero intention of resigning with SA.  So I guess it’s a matter of getting something instead of nothing.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If you think SA can rebuild to contention on the fly with supermax Beal, you must have a way higher opinion of Beal or SA's current roster than I do. 

They are much better off tanking and hoping for the 3 firsts to hit jackpot (either by luck of the lottery or a Jokic like late round pick) or their own lottery pick to turn into something.  Having Beal on the roster crumbles one of those avenue to contention by likely making their own pick a late lottery.

Just now, Ball Security said:

So who’s going to Brooklyn?  🤣

Maybe if we had any #1 picks left, we could be in play.  Lol 

But he didn't wanna come here before with Wall and Beal, KP and the rest of these dudes arent sealing the deal.

I’m no basketball expert but having Bradley Beal as your franchise player seems like your team will suck, but not suck enough where it might create the opportunity to get good. Perfect move if your goal is to suck forever.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Just came here to say the NBA is a complete joke. Alexander Ovechkin who is the god king of Washington DC sports signed the same term deal for 200 million less 

12 minutes ago, max21 said:

Just came here to say the NBA is a complete joke. Alexander Ovechkin who is the god king of Washington DC sports signed the same term deal for 200 million less 

Hockey doesn't generate the same money the NBA does so it's not a fair comparison.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’m no basketball expert but having Bradley Beal as your franchise player seems like your team will suck, but not suck enough where it might create the opportunity to get good. Perfect move if your goal is to suck forever.

Quarter of a billion dollars for a player that averaged 23 ppg last year...

po-dies.gif

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

$50 million a year for Bradley Beal just seems unfair.  For a guy coming off a season ending injury as well.  He turns the ball over too much and shoots too low of a percentage to be worth that much.  Silly.

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Hockey doesn't generate the same money the NBA does so it's not a fair comparison.

People travel all over the country to watch Ovechkin score goals and chase the goal record, he is Ted’s cash cow and fills Capital one every night. No one travels to DC to watch Beal and the Wizards suck at Basketball. The NBA as a whole obviously makes more than the NHL so their players will make more but it’s a joke how they get paid compared to NBA in a league that’s overall pretty terrible. 

• Confused 1

Just now, max21 said:

People travel all over the country to watch Ovechkin score goals and chase the goal record, he is Ted’s cash cow and fills Capital one every night. No one travels to DC to watch Beal and the Wizards suck at Basketball. The NBA as a whole obviously makes more than the NHL so their players will make more but it’s a joke how they get paid compared to NBA in a league that’s overall pretty terrible. 

Not trying to bash the NHL but it's the 4th most popular sport in the U.S.

That's just how it is. 

Just now, abdcskins said:

Tim Legler just called Beal an, "obscurity."

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far.....

They should've traded Beal last off-season.  Failing that, they should've let him walk this off-season.  Short of a miracle in the draft, there is no way to contention for this team while paying Beal 50 million per season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not trying to bash the NHL but it's the 4th most popular sport in the U.S.

That's just how it is. 

You’re absolutely right, there’s no arguing that. I vented there a bit, my bad, I just don’t see how the NBA is so popular but to each their own. If I was Ovi I would probably be a bit irritated, but anyways go Wizards.