Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

25 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Uhh, why are worried about Barton starting over Kuzma?  Kuzma started at the 4 for most of the season.  Barton is a 3 or 2.  

As of now the lineup would be Morris, Beal, Barton, Kuzma, KP.

Isn't  Morris, Beal, Kuzma, KP, Gafford a better line up?  I don't think KP can hold up meaningful minutes at center (then again, he may not hold up anyway I guess).

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Isn't  Morris, Beal, Kuzma, KP, Gafford a better line up?  I don't think KP can hold up meaningful minutes at center (then again, he may not hold up anyway I guess).

Could be.  I don’t recall Gafford starting after KP came over.  That was one thing I wanted to see a lineup of Kuz, KP, Gafford.  They also didn’t play Kuzma and Rui together much at all.  At the end of the season they could have played around with those combos.

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Could be.  I don’t recall Gafford starting after KP came over.  That was one thing I wanted to see a lineup of Kuz, KP, Gafford.  They also didn’t play Kuzma and Rui together much at all.  At the end of the season they could have played around with those combos.

Yeah, I would like to see more experimentation (Avidja with Beal and KP for example and let Kuzma run the second unit offense).

I do think Kuzma is getting increasingly more comfortable at the wing and playing with the ball in his hands as opposed to stretch 4.  His main concern at 3 would be lateral defense, but having KP and Gafford could afford him the luxury of good paint protection.

It does feel like we have a bit of a glut at forward.  Does Rui have any trade value at this point?  

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Yeah, I would like to see more experimentation (Avidja with Beal and KP for example and let Kuzma run the second unit offense).

I do think Kuzma is getting increasingly more comfortable at the wing and playing with the ball in his hands as opposed to stretch 4.  His main concern at 3 would be lateral defense, but having KP and Gafford could afford him the luxury of good paint protection.

It does feel like we have a bit of a glut at forward.  Does Rui have any trade value at this point?  

Thing with Rui is that I could see him blowing up if he leaves.  In the league he’s had the COVID season, the season where he missed the beginning to pink eye and I think COVID too.  Last year was the Olympics and his mental health concerns. I just don’t know if he’ll get the minutes here he needs to develop.  

As for Kuzma, he is pumped for Monte Morris

• Like 1

Is the Wiz are gonna insist on giving Beal the SM, why not trade for Murray? Tommy doing safe contend for the playoffs moves instead of going to get the 25 year old all-star PG for future assets. 

Before anyone says we can't trade picks, the Wiz could've dealt the 10th pick in this draft for 3 picks from OKC, including their pick next season. That is plenty of ammo to trade to the Spurs. Instead Atlanta gets the big upgrade. 

Why would San Antonio make this trade?  Was it a tank for Wembanyama move?

They are so close to having max cap space and Pop is 73.  He can't have but so many years of coaching left.  And if Beal wanted to get himself to a high quality organization, isn't San Antonio the only one that really makes sense?  If I were Beal, San Antonio is for sure where I would want to go.

Should we be concerned that this trade was made in order to pursue Beal?

And let's say it was, should we really feel bad if he walks?

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Is the Wiz are gonna insist on giving Beal the SM, why not trade for Murray? Tommy doing safe contend for the playoffs moves instead of going to get the 25 year old all-star PG for future assets. 

Before anyone says we can't trade picks, the Wiz could've dealt the 10th pick in this draft for 3 picks from OKC, including their pick next season. That is plenty of ammo to trade to the Spurs. Instead Atlanta gets the big upgrade. 

Murray would have been an awesome get.  Though, if I’m SA, wouldn’t the Hawks three unprotected picks be more valuable than the three picks that are top 14 and top 18 protected?  That’s what the Knicks got.  Now maybe we’d be able to send our own picks (not sure what we have in the future).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Murray would have been an awesome get.  Though, if I’m SA, wouldn’t the Hawks three unprotected picks be more valuable than the three picks that are top 14 and top 18 protected?  That’s what the Knicks got.  Now maybe we’d be able to send our own picks (not sure what we have in the future).

If the Wiz got their 2023 pick back, they'd be free to trade their own picks again and they could be without protections. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

If the Wiz got their 2023 pick back, they'd be free to trade their own picks again and they could be without protections. 

This is why future picks are so confusing to me and I’ll never get it.  I know that OKC traded our 2023 pick to NYK.  But don’t the Rockets also have rights to that pick due to the Westbrook/Wall trade?

30 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Why would San Antonio make this trade?  Was it a tank for Wembanyama move?

They are so close to having max cap space and Pop is 73.  He can't have but so many years of coaching left.  And if Beal wanted to get himself to a high quality organization, isn't San Antonio the only one that really makes sense?  If I were Beal, San Antonio is for sure where I would want to go.

Should we be concerned that this trade was made in order to pursue Beal?

And let's say it was, should we really feel bad if he walks?

Why on earth would SA trade three 1sts for a supermax Beal in their current trajectory?  

If they gave us 3 firsts for Beal, I would say hallelujah, but they're not that stupid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Why on earth would SA trade three 1sts for a supermax Beal in their current trajectory?  

If they gave us 3 firsts for Beal, I would say hallelujah, but they're not that stupid.

Those three firsts are going to be 20s picks, they're not that valuable.  NBA draft pick value isn't like the NFL, a perennial All Star on a long term deal is worth far more than late firsts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Those three firsts are going to be 20s picks, they're not that valuable.  NBA draft pick value isn't like the NFL, a perennial All Star on a long term deal is worth far more than late firsts.

A season gone bad and a lucky bounce and suddenly those picks can take you places.  And there are three chances to make that happen (and if anybody can squeeze developemental value out of a pick, it would be SA). 

Also it's not as if Beal would push them over the top.  It locks them in the same shooting for the play in game purgatory that we're in.  Add in Beal's age, what exactly is the upside for SA?  They are much better off tanking and hoping to land the next transcendent talent (which is what Washington should be doing).

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

A season gone bad and a lucky bounce and suddenly those picks can take you places.  And there are three chances to make that happen (and if anybody can squeeze developemental value out of a pick, it would be SA). 

We are talking about the Wiz. When does it ever work out that way. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1