Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

49 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

We're pretty young now but I get what you're saying.

Personally, I don't want to pay Brad 240m but apparently Ted does...

Me either. I like Beal the guy. But not Beal the cap hit for what Beal the player will accomplish here. 

You'll never get full value for him in a trade. But I'd still do it. I want cap room, expiring contracts and picks. Embrace a real rebuild, Theodore. 

• Like 1

Montrezl Harrell got arrested for felony possession of marijuana.  Had three pounds on him during a traffic stop in Kentucky.

He did do that commercial with that lawyer though…

6 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

We're pretty young now but I get what you're saying.

Personally, I don't want to pay Brad 240m but apparently Ted does...

Daniels is very intriguing at 10.  I also like the crazy guy from Baylor if they decide to keep Beal, Kuzma, and KP together.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thanks 1

You'll love this...

Saw this trade proposal from a Pacers fan.

The teams: Wash, Detroit, Ind

WAS out: KCP, Kuzma, Deni, Rui, Kispert, 10
WAS in: Brogdon, Grant, Bey

Wizards go all in around Beal and KP.

DET out: Grant, Bey
DET in: KCP, Kuzma, Deni, 10, 31

Pistons get younger guys to match with Cade and the 5th pick. Maybe try to move up? Also get some veterans that they can flip.

IND out: Brogdon, 31
IND in: Kispert, Rui

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2022/6/17/23172986/wizards-trade-sacramento-jaden-ivey-shai-gilgeous-alexander-dejounte-murray-malcolm-brogdon

I really like SGA.  Don’t know what it’d take to get him though.

Porzingis would be funny in OKC if they ended up with a front line of Holmgren, Porzingis, and Pokusevski.  

If they could get SGA without giving up Beal or KP, that suddenly makes the team really interesting, but does Beal/SGA or KP/SGA really move the needle long term?  I wouldn't mind Beal or KP for SGA + one or two 1st, but that seems unlikely.

Would love to see Ivey,  but no idea where they get the ammo for that (although I would totally support shipping both Beal and KP for Ivey and picks).

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The Wizards, who are looking to win now, around guard Bradley Beal have been consistent about drafting players who were actually productive this past season. 

Sigh. 

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:26 PM, CRobi21 said:

What would it take to move up to 4...

Sacramento wants a veteran as they feel the need to make the playoffs.  I wonder if Herro and Rui would do it.  If we were to get Herro, Robinson, and Vincent from Miami for Beal could that be enough to get Ivey and build around him.

Ivey, Kispert, Deni, Kuz, KP, Gafford, Robinson, KCP, Vincent, #10.  Robinson and KCP could be moved as well.  They get a lot younger and have Ivey as a future superstar to build around.

32 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Sacramento wants a veteran as they feel the need to make the playoffs.  I wonder if Herro and Rui would do it.  If we were to get Herro, Robinson, and Vincent from Miami for Beal could that be enough to get Ivey and build around him.

Ivey, Kispert, Deni, Kuz, KP, Gafford, Robinson, KCP, Vincent, #10.  Robinson and KCP could be moved as well.  They get a lot younger and have Ivey as a future superstar to build around.

I'd be surprised if the Kings trade that far down. They had players get dinner with Keegan Murray. I could see them stay put and draft him. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I am terrified Kyrie opts out to be a UFA and Wizards go after him...

I'd be out as a fan if they did. I'm barely hanging on as is. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'd be surprised if the Kings trade that far down. They had players get dinner with Keegan Murray. I could see them stay put and draft him. 

I know that they are linked to him, for sure.  But they also want a veteran.  Maybe Detroit is in play with Grant and then get Murray at Detroit’s spot.  More would have to be involved.  They are in a good position to drive up the price for #4.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I am terrified Kyrie opts out to be a UFA and Wizards go after him...

That would be great news for those that want to blow the team up.  That guy has left a path of destruction behind him everywhere he goes.  I’d feel bad Wes though, because no coach survives him.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Destino said:

That would be great news for those that want to blow the team up.  That guy has left a path of destruction behind him everywhere he goes.  I’d feel bad Wes though, because no coach survives him.  

How long would it take Ted to admit that, though?  After Beal is gone? Wes? Us?

Anyone can correct me on this, but didn't the Wizards trade Arenas same year Ted took majority ownership?  I was going to say how long he put up with Arenas, but he didn't, so it's more how long he put up with Blatche or reportedly Wall.  

But I'm not sure I can say we ever tried a true rebuild since Ted took over.  So even if signing Kyrie blows up in his face, more likely Ted tries to salvage what's left then a full rebuild.

All the more reason to root against this.

Edited by Renegade7

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Where does the luxury tax fit into this "don't have the cap space" conversation?

*looks at Golden State 🧐

60yC0jJq_400x400.jpg

It starts right here. While try to build a top seed roster when a 6th, 7th or 8th seed in the East still gets that playoff money?

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Where does the luxury tax fit into this "don't have the cap space" conversation?

*looks at Golden State 🧐

Brave is right.  You can't go past the cap to sign UFAs.  The only way you can go past the cap when acquiring players is if you trade for them or if you use exceptions, which are well defined.

So all new contracts have to fit below the cap or into a specific exception, and the exceptions are these:

1 - Bird Rights exceptions  - these only apply when you're extending your own players who have been under contract for multiple seasons already

2 - Mid level exception - every team gets the MLE and it's a 1 or 2 year contract set at a role player cost (this year it's about 10.3 million)

3 - Bi-Annual exception - every team can use this once every two years, and it's like a smaller version of the MLE

4 - vet min exception - this let's you sign guys to minimum contracts to fill up your roster

None of those exceptions would apply to Kyrie Irving.

The Wizards are basically directly at the salary cap right now in active roster commitments, plus they have another 62 million dollars in various cap holds.  We're not going shopping for anyone except maybe an MLE player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

How long would it take Ted to admit that, though?  After Beal is gone? Wes? Us?

Anyone can correct me on this, but didn't the Wizards trade Arenas same year Ted took majority ownership?  I was going to say how long he put up with Arenas, but he didn't, so it's more how long he put up with Blatche or reportedly Wall.  

But I'm not sure I can say we ever tried a true rebuild since Ted took over.  So even if signing Kyrie blows up in his face, more likely Ted tries to salvage what's left then a full rebuild.

All the more reason to root against this.

Ted so far has refused the idea of blowing it up and starting over. When they did get really high draft picks. It was soon after he took over the team and maybe he views that as the rebuild they are past. I don't know. But drafting late in lotto or soon after that isn't really going to build you a winner unless you have the best front office ever. 

37 minutes ago, SuperBash said:

Saw Woj talking about trading 10 for Brogdon. That would be So Wizards. Foye/Miller for 6 type of So Wizards 

I like Brogdon the dude.  Liked him at UVA and he gets me a lot of counting stats in Daily Fantasy.  But he misses a lot of time to injuries and is getting up there in age.  Not the biggest fan of that trade, but if consistently healthy, he and KP makes this team exciting.

Someone will be picked 10 or later and have an excellent career.