Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Here is a look at our cap situation:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/cap/

You'll notice that the 11 players we have under contract have money that comes out to $121,994,247 and the salary cap is $122 million this year.  Of that number, Ish Smith's 4.725 million is completely unguaranteed, and just under 10 million of KCP's 14 million isn't guaranteed either. So we could clear just under 15 million in cap space by cutting them.  But cutting KCP seems dicey if we're trying to keep Beal, given that they are close.

We have a bunch of cap holds, all but a few of which can and should be released.  We can't release our draft pick holds without trading those picks, and that'll be about 5 million in space right there.  And we can't release min contract holds, which right now we would have two since we've got 11 players under contract + 2 draft picks coming = 13 players when you need 15.  The rest of the holds are basically just figuring out what to do with Thomas Bryant, Justin Robinson, Cassius Winston, etc--whether to keep them or not.  Bryant's is the only big hold, and I would imagine we're going to let him walk.

So yeah, we're not going to have cap space this summer unless Beal walks, in which case, we're blown up and we have to start over and no one worth signing to a big deal would come here anyway.

• Like 1

Trading Kuzma for what? A pg?

I'm concerned we don't know what we are doing moreso then working with what we got.

We are building our team around a none superstar yet again, a team that is completely uncompetitive without them.

Beal decides to walk, not sure what to do, but it better not be trade Kuzma.

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Trading Kuzma for what? A pg?

I'm concerned we don't know what we are doing moreso then working with what we got.

We are building our team around a none superstar yet again, a team that is completely uncompetitive without them.

Beal decides to walk, not sure what to do, but it better not be trade Kuzma.

Kuzma was awesome last year.  Really a joy to watch.  But it would be selling high on him.  I believe he can opt out after next year.  Can they re-sign him with a super max Beal and Porzingis.

If Sac wants to trade the #4 for him, I’d do it.

I agree that it feels like Beal has made up his mind to walk and the team already knows.  But everything I am reading still says that the likely outcome is that Beal stays and signs a supermax.

Beal will never lead a contender here, not as the best player and sole star on the team.  But we're going into the cellar if he leaves, and there is no telling how long we'll be there.

We've spent the last twelve years trying to build around two different star guards and we just can't get that star big man/forward that you need to make the construction work.  Even now, every mock draft has us taking a damn combo guard with our draft pick, as if that's the missing piece to make this flawed roster work.  Our one path has always been to do whatever it takes to get a star big or big forward, in his prime.  That's the only way we truly compete for a ring with Beal.

10 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Kuzma was awesome last year.  Really a joy to watch.  But it would be selling high on him.  I believe he can opt out after next year.  Can they re-sign him with a super max Beal and Porzingis.

If Sac wants to trade the #4 for him, I’d do it.

Last I checked, we could make the math work if we let KCP leave when he's eligible to be a free agent.

My bigger problem is our ****-draft history and how hard it's been for us to get good, young big men.  

Beal leaving opens up a gapping hole in the cap to sign a different max player, however unlikely it is to convince one to come here if that happens.

What's more unlikely is us drafting someone better the Kuzma with whatever pick we get for him, call me pessimistic, but also optimistic we havent seen his ceiling yet. Having all the cap space in the world isn't going to matter if we have nothing but first round pick role players up and down the roster, heaven forbid one of them get a max deal out of us like Otto did.

I wouldn't blame Shep for shipping out Kuz, Unicorn, and Rui if Beal leaves, but that has the potential to be a pretty nasty front court and probably only way we can convince someone else to sign here for max to take Beals place (at least from a scoring perspective).  Rather make a play at trading for Lillard then getting rid of that.

Honestly, if Beal walks, I'm game for nuking everything and firing Shep because he should've traded Beal when he had the chance instead of building around a player that was never going to be a "bus driver".  I'm jus not convinced that's neccesary or we'll actually end up better in the long run if we do blow it up if Beal leaves.

Having cap space and draft picks only matter with a good front office, do we have one?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1