Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm really mad about the Wizards angling to let Beal walk only to re-sign him. Let him go elsewhere. We need that cap space to build a winner.

I love the Johnny Davis pick. I just want more cap space so we can get another guard that won't break the bank.

26 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm really mad about the Wizards angling to let Beal walk only to re-sign him. Let him go elsewhere. We need that cap space to build a winner.

I love the Johnny Davis pick. I just want more cap space so we can get another guard that won't break the bank.

I'm hoping if they do that its so they can send him to someone else for picks but thats a super risky move. 

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm hoping if they do that its so they can send him to someone else for picks but thats a super risky move. 

I'd be happy with picks, maybe a young talent, and expiring contracts. Then hopefully these recent first rounders can get max minutes all season. 

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

If we decide to tank, then we need to do more than let Beal walk.  When he was shut down the team went 12-21 (.364).  That would put them seventh to last.  Wembanyama is very exciting from all reports.  There’s going to be a lot of tanking involved.  We’d have to move Kuzma, Rui, and KP too to have the slightest chance.

Yeah I think you're right.  You'd have to deal Kuzma for sure.  KP might take care of himself just because he is a lock to miss so much time.  But if the plan is to try and build around Wembanyama, you've got to get rid of Porzingis at some point.

I'm not sure Hachimura is good enough to bring in a bunch of wins if the team is basically nothing but him, Johnny Davis, Deni, Kispert, and a bunch of replacement level role players.  To me that looks like a bottom of the league roster.  But the plan could certainly fail even if we finish bottom of the league because that only guarantees you a spot in the top four.

I think we'd also have to pass on signing Tyus Jones for sure, because steady vet PG play could lift the offense into mediocrity.

But I think this is a moot discussion, because I absolutely think we're trying to keep Beal and compete for a low seed.  And I think the scenario that makes the most sense for Beal is for him to sign the supermax, see how we do this year, and probably force a trade either at the deadline or next summer, which firmly takes us out of the running for Wembanyama.

17 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This was his only season where he was solidly above average for a role player, and 1500 minutes of that caliber play isn't a whole lot to go on if you're making a four year commitment.

But if this past season is what he gives us moving forward, then 10-11 million a year feels like good value.

Everyone in the media is saying that Beal is going to sign the supermax and stay here, but to me it feels like we're trying to rebuild our backcourt in anticipation of him leaving.  Davis feels like a long term Beal replacement.

I know we don't want to lose Beal, if for nothing more than his marketability and leadership.  But a clear-eyed analysis of our situation says we absolutely need to let Beal walk.  We should bottom out this season and see what we have with Johnny Davis in the process.  There is a transcendent 7 foot French prospect in that class that is our best shot at building a contender by far, and we should be tanking for him.

Tanking for Wembyana would be the right move. In their minds, they are thinking they hold Beal’s value and trade him for picks if things aren’t working out in a year or two. That is what is misguided because they aren’t gettinf a treasure trove of picks back for supermaxed Beal

• Like 1

I didn't realize how little cap space is out there this summer before now.  From what I can tell, the only two teams in the neighborhood of max contract cap room are Detroit and San Antonio, and it's a complicated situation with San Antonio because they would definitely need an S&T to sign Beal and they'd also have to let Lonnie Walker go.

Beal is definitely signing an extension here.  There is nowhere else to go that is definitely more competitive than we are that also has the cap space to come close to our contract offer to him.  He'd be walking away from what, 100 million to leave here?  Nobody is that unhappy.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I didn't realize how little cap space is out there this summer before now.  From what I can tell, the only two teams in the neighborhood of max contract cap room are Detroit and San Antonio, and it's a complicated situation with San Antonio because they would definitely need an S&T to sign Beal and they'd also have to let Lonnie Walker go.

Beal is definitely signing an extension here.  There is nowhere else to go that is definitely more competitive than we are that also has the cap space to come close to our contract offer to him.  He'd be walking away from what, 100 million to leave here?  Nobody is that unhappy.

It's almost like the Wiz could've negotiated a little with Beal to not give him the biggest (and most undeserved) contract in NBA history, and instead saved a little more money to invest in other players. It's almost like Beal doesn't care at all about winning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's almost like the Wiz could've negotiated a little with Beal to not give him the biggest (and most undeserved) contract in NBA history, and instead saved a little more money to invest in other players. It's almost like Beal doesn't care at all about winning. 

"Hey Beal, we need you to take a little less money so Wall can come back..."

dave-chappelle-cash.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

It's the flaw in the Bird rule supermax. Teams are giving someone this deal. Offering less would be an insult. Then players union is all about having a guy get thst much even if it takes up a 3rd of their cap. 

I’m missing something here.  Don’t know why Denver does this.  It looks like Barton and KCP’s salaries are similar.  But Barton is the better 3 and D guy.  Morris is better than Smith for the role they need.  Now they don’t have to use the MLE on Jones.  I really like this trade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not sure how this makes the Wiz better to the point they aren't just competing to make the playoffs. 

It’s an incremental improvement on the surface.  You replace two players with two better players at the same positions without giving up any future resources.  You get a PG who knows what WUJ wants for the next two seasons for less than the MLE.   But the success of this team will be determined by how well Beal, KP, and Kuzma can play together.  Now they get a guy the coach can trust to facilitate the offense.

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not sure how this makes the Wiz better to the point they aren't just competing to make the playoffs. 

It probably doesn't, but short of some young player on the roster turning out to be a superstar, I'm not sure what viable path to contention exists with this roster anyway.

It's hard to underrate the importance of having a PG that can actually run the offense.

I miss Wall so badly, I basically took that for granted, finding guys open on the regular, nasty passes, and murdering people with pick and rolls.  I'm devastated we won't get to see him throwing alley-oops to Gafford, this is a disservice to the game of basketball. 

I'm not saying who we drafted or traded for is going to be as good a peak Wall, I'm saying they don't need to be in context of what we didn't have last year from the PG position and needed badly.

This is a good trade that matters more then raw talent.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

There's no way on earth Barton is starting over Kuzma.  Kuzma would have to be moved and then Barton slots in.  Unless they want draft assets to play with in the future, Beal, KP, Kuzma seems like the core to run with.  Besides, Barton is an expiring, so the chances of him making it to the end of the year are probably slim.

Edited by justice98