Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Maybe we could, but playing with a team of all stars and being the favorite to win the title is more fun.  

This is what happened and what will continue to happen.  GMs, drafting, doesn't matter if teams best players can leave no chance for smaller markets to keep them.  

This is why I like college basketball more than the NBA (one of several reasons). There is zero parity. I can tell you right now the Warriors will win the championship next season. Like 100% certain. And they will be playing the Celtics.

Ya got to at least pick up the phone and put a feeler out, don't ya? Your superstar center is begging for help and you can't even dial? Maybe he's not available on a cheap contract (5 mil is cheap????) to the Wizards, but you got to ask.

I guess the biggest difference is that the Warriors don't need Boogie. So, if he's not ready to play until January or even the playoffs, it's no big deal whereas Washington needs help today. Cousins may not be Patrick Ewing, Shaq, or Chamerlain, but he's a worth a phone call and a flier offer.

There is absolutely no point in watching the NBA for the foreseeable future. The second Durant joined a 73-win team, the competitive balance was destroyed. Who would want to watch a league where the winner is guaranteed for the next 5 years? Where the closest thing to competition was swept. Where the only hope is catastrophic injuries and/or a complete loss of interest. Now there are people actually defending this cousins move; that " it was the only offer he had!" What a load of bull****. You are telling me that there wasn't a single other team in the league that would have signed him. A contract given out to a top 3 center for less than what most 3rd string backups make per year. People will go to ridiculous lengths to cover their eyes. Dude chose a guaranteed title over actually trying.

Lets forget the complete butt fumble that Ernie has done here, and done well, because really it just doesn't matter. I'm not going to spend a single dollar more on the NBA until things change; which it won't because apparently success is only measured by rings given and not earned. 

• Like 2

Come on down Jeff Green (probably will waste the full MLE on him, classic Ernie). I guess Troy Brown is gonna be a Go Go all season.

If they sign Green, which they’ve always been destined to do at some point, they’ll have 8 Guards/Wings (not including Lawson/Sessions) and 3 bigs (1 maybe 1.5 useful wings). Something has to give

Edited by SuperBash

Man, listen...

Trade either Wall or Beal now (to LA) and get some young assets and picks back.  This team has reached their ceiling.  They 10000000% will not ever in this lifetime compete with Golden State.  At best, they are a 45 win team that can be a 6th seed in the East.  Forget GS for a second, we're light years behind Philly, Boston, and Indy. 

I'd embrace a mini-rebuild right now.  Look ahead a few years to when HOPEFULLY Golden State's title run is over.  If you make a deal (hypothetically) with LA and get back 2/3 of Ingram/Hart/Lonzo/Kuz and a pick or two, you can start that process NOW of being in prime position to be a TRUE title contender in 3-5 years.  If that mini-rebuild happens, I guarantee that they'd be in that same 42-45 win range IMMEDIATELY as our current Wizards squad is constructed. 

I honestly don't care that Boogie went to GS.  It came out of left field, but GMs around the league have to start playing chess rather than checkers.  Unfortunately, we don't have a GM with any foresight, so i'm sure it will be more of the same..."we like our guys" going forward. 

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'd love to hear Ernie explain things to Ted.  "It's all going according to plan, Boss!"

Ted just shrugging his shoulders, "I'll take your word for that."

"the plan" is just make the playoffs, seeding or advancement in the playoffs does not matter

Grunfeld only leaves when we completely miss the playoffs

I’ll embrace a rebuild once Ernie is gone. He’ll trade Wall for Deng, Zubac and a heavily protected future 1st. 

“Deng gives us a quality player that will allow us to compete now and Zubac gives us a young big that we are excited about.”

Edited by SuperBash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

There is absolutely no point in watching the NBA for the foreseeable future.

Agreed.  The league isn't worth watching any more.  I'll probably still watch some games next season, but when true die-hard fans like you and I are considering walking away, it's a sign the league is in trouble.

I legitimately have seen just about every game for the last 8 years. That includes my entire time in China watching through a VPN with league pass or Tencent QQ. I streamed the Nene-Bulls playoffs series from ****ing base camp at Mount Everest. I forced a bar in the damn Philippines to throw on the ****ty wizards over midget boxing. But this is it. I didn't watch a single game after we deservedly whimpered out of the playoffs this year, and I have absolutely no interest in watching any games for anyone next year, and possibly the foreseeable future. We have 1 center on the roster who picks up fouls faster than Ryan Hollins, and he makes triple per year what Cousins just got. Yet, we couldn't afford even a guy like Jahil Okafor at this point. Teams like ours (90% of the league) have no shot at staying competitive and signing quality players when they can go and play for peanuts. Bums cost 8 mil. Cousins, an mvp candidate last year, cost 5 to go to a team that won with javale McGee.... Twice!

I'm not sure there is a single like able NBA player left out there. Maybe Otto Porter and Sato? Maybe? Leonard was another guy I presumed, but I couldn't have been more wrong there. They are all over paid gutless chumps who have little to no understanding to the value of hard work and success earned, or the costs expound by the fans who like to take a night away from their lives to decompress. It's dead. 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Man, listen...

Trade either Wall or Beal now (to LA) and get some young assets and picks back.  This team has reached their ceiling.  They 10000000% will not ever in this lifetime compete with Golden State.  At best, they are a 45 win team that can be a 6th seed in the East.  Forget GS for a second, we're light years behind Philly, Boston, and Indy. 

I hope you mean the Clippers. I would hate for the Lakers to have either Beal or Wall. I don't think either guy is worth the contract. Wall is the closest...but even then...nope. Otherwise, I agree with your post. 

20 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I hope you mean the Clippers. I would hate for the Lakers to have either Beal or Wall. I don't think either guy is worth the contract. Wall is the closest...but even then...nope. Otherwise, I agree with your post. 

I'll entertain this for a second. 

Beal has more than lived up to his contract that he signed in the summer of '16. 

Wall, right now, has questions surrounding his health...but he's proven that when "on" he can be one of the top 3-5 players at his position. 

They are both UNQUESTIONED max-contract players in today's NBA. 

Now, you want to argue Otto's merits, that's another story LOL.

• Thanks 1

I have a huge problem with a PG that can not hit FT's. Is often injured, and is playing the social media game against his team. 

As a SG, I expect you to be able to create your own shot more often than not in today's NBA, then we go on to injuries. Hell, I could talk about his drop in 3 point % as well. 

As a SF... I expect better from a 4-5 year vet. 10 points a game is not a max player, then you add on the other stats. 

Either way, the contracts don't work for the Lakers.