Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sign Noel or Len for cheap --> trade Mahinmi to get out of his deal --> bring Oubre back for a deal similar to what VanVleet got --> let Rivers expire --> draft a young big like Jarrett Allen.

That's how we get our financial house in order.

Conversation was had in NBA in the lack of importance for dominant centers today.  I felt that even competent center play would've made a huge difference, if we can get that, I'd be a happy man.  I'd settle for Noel and Len. 

Howard would be great, but I think I'm off the cousin train, too.  Bench was better last then year past, as long as we don't jus dump a bunch of our depth it'll be better.

We still need more playoff Wall in the regular season.  Believe we can take philly, I'm not sold we can't beat Bostone right now.

Like seriously, we are talking about not getting a center until the next draft? Haha. Amazing. This team should be all in for Cousins right ****ing now. Brooks is not good enough of a coach to put together a offensive philosophy that can compete. ( see Dwayne Casey ). So pairing cousins with wall and beal and Porter would put us up there as contenders in the east. Take a damn chance, man. Right now we are at best 3rd behind Boston and Philadelphia. Never mind Toronto and Milwaukee who would beat this team without a center. 

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Wall for Dame, straight up.  Who says no?  

Both teams.

19 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Like seriously, we are talking about not getting a center until the next draft? Haha. Amazing. This team should be all in for Cousins right ****ing now. Brooks is not good enough of a coach to put together a offensive philosophy that can compete. ( see Dwayne Casey ). So pairing cousins with wall and beal and Porter would put us up there as contenders in the east. Take a damn chance, man. Right now we are at best 3rd behind Boston and Philadelphia. Never mind Toronto and Milwaukee who would beat this team without a center. 

How do you get Cousins without giving up Porter though?  You have to salary match in a sign and trade.

42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Conversation was had in NBA in the lack of importance for dominant centers today.  I felt that even competent center play would've made a huge difference, if we can get that, I'd be a happy man.  I'd settle for Noel and Len. 

Howard would be great, but I think I'm off the cousin train, too.  Bench was better last then year past, as long as we don't jus dump a bunch of our depth it'll be better.

My take on Noel vs Len is the same as it was on draft day 2013--Len's a better offensive player, Noel a better defensive player.  I like Noel a lot more because I value defense most in the center position.  IMO Len is a little soft and he's not a very good rim protector for his size.  Noel is tougher and hustles more.  He's much more of a scrapper, and that's the kind of big I want.  Got real tired of the softness that Gortat played with at center.

I always thought Noel could be a Joakim Noah clone, but I suspect that he has off court problems that have hampered his career.

But if we can get him for partial MLE money and then get a guy like Graham with the rest of that money, we've got the makings of a much tougher and more energetic team.  We need culture guys who have defensive talent and compete hard on that end of the court.  We need rock fight guys because that is the identity we have to adopt in order to be successful.  It's how Boston and Toronto made the leaps that they did.  It's how San Antonio was so good for such a long time.  No more loafing and playing soft on defense and reading our own hype.

Re: Cousins, he represents too much money and risk.  I think it's clear that the Center position is of vastly diminished importance in today's NBA and that the best teams get by with guys who are dirty work role players and then they tend to play their PFs up at the position for a ton of minutes.  Houston with Capela, Boston with Baynes, Golden State with Pachulia for example.  I do think you're 100% right that competent center play will make a huge difference for us, but my point is that we should be able to get competent center play for much cheaper than it will cost to get DeMarcus Cousins.

My reservation with Dwight Howard is that he's too old and I think he'll cost too much.  He's still a great rebounder but he's approaching that cliff where a big just gets soft and doesn't have the vigor and athleticism left in his legs to compete hard on D.  I would rather go with a younger option like Noel.

And I still wouldn't mind trading for Ivica Zubac from the Lakers.  He's very young.  And I don't think they're going to have the patience to develop him now that they're building around LeBron.  I would love to get both Noel and him.  If we could pull that off, I'd be willing to deal our first round pick to offload Mahinmi.

• Like 1

The center position is "diminished" if only because the warriors have possibly the 3 greatest shooters in the history of the game in their prime, along with a ridiculous supporting cast. No one is touching Gooden state until they get tired of winning or something. Center play is extremely important in the east. It's our Achilles heel. The last 3 years have been a complete disaster in the front court. Every good team in the east has a superior front court. And yet we added yet another 3 that isn't an elite threat from deep. What is the play here? Defend with small forwards? Horford, Embiid, Simmons, Greek, Porzingis will tear that **** up again. Or are we back to the, wait until we get out of this cap hell thing again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

So the plan is to wait another year? To sign a bunch of 3rd or 4th rate players so we can get out of bad contracts. Is that it? Haha. John is going to be 35 before this "plan" finishes. 

2019/2020 Cap is projected around 120mil

Wall/Beal/Otto/Mahinim = 107+ by themselves

barring a massive restructure to Ted's treasured "core", we ain't doing ****

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Why?

We already have a superior version of the Portland back court. And it's been proven to be worthless in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

2019/2020 Cap is projected around 120mil

Wall/Beal/Otto/Mahinim = 107+ by themselves

barring a massive restructure to Ted's treasured "core", we ain't doing ****

Brad should have been traded for Cousins and a1st prior to the draft. Brad should still be the man to move. I like the guy. But we aren't winning anything with this back court. Ever. 

6 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Just a hypothetical...and I have ZERO clue if the numbers match, but would you trade Wall to the Lakers for some of their young talent (Randle/Ingram/etc) and picks? 

Wall deserves it, man. 

Not impressed with the young talent on the Lakers so the answer is "No".

16 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not impressed with the young talent on the Lakers so the answer is "No".

I'm just looking at it from a rebuild scenario.  One where the rebuild could happen, and they'd still be competitive (and most likely a playoff team in the East.) 

unfortunately, we are a minor league team. Wall has probably 2-3 more prime years before he hits the decline. And it will probably be hard and fast without a jump shot. Lebron is gone. Now is the time to go all in and take a shot. We know what we have now isn't cutting it. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

We already have a superior version of the Portland back court. And it's been proven to be worthless in the playoffs. 

Brad should have been traded for Cousins and a1st prior to the draft. Brad should still be the man to move. I like the guy. But we aren't winning anything with this back court. Ever. 

I'm fine moving Beal but not for a guy who just ripped his Achilles. To move Beal and a pick you need a guy like James Harden coming back.

5 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I'm fine moving Beal but not for a guy who just ripped his Achilles. To move Beal and a pick you need a guy like James Harden coming back.

Lol. To move beal we need to get an mvp in return? Haha. 

I would be be all for Leonard for beal, if it meant Leonard would take the max here. But he and Lebron have been probably planning LA for a year. It would be nice to hear that we tried. Instead we are going to sit back, pick up scraps, and watch wall lose another year off his prime.

12 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2018/7/1/17524300/2018-nba-free-agency-nerlens-noel-washington-wizards

Noel's agent says he's narrowed his choices down to 4, including the Wiz. 

It won't be OKC.  They have zero money to spend and he'd have no path to play.  He's going to have to wait to see where Cousins signs most likely.  If Cousins ends up in LA or New Orleans, it won't be for that team either.

We're probably going to get him unless we go after Cousins ourselves.