Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ernie and a Brooks being comfortable with him is fine, but what’s plan B?  I ask because Mahinmi’s issue was less that anyone wanted him off the floor, and more that he hasn’t been able to stay on the floor.  His first year he couldn’t stay healthy, his second he was a foul machine.  Is Ernie comfortable with Jason Smith and Morris getting big minutes at center too?  

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Ernie and a Brooks being comfortable with him is fine, but what’s plan B?  I ask because Mahinmi’s issue was less that anyone wanted him off the floor, and more that he hasn’t been able to stay on the floor.  His first year he couldn’t stay healthy, his second he was a foul machine.  Is Ernie comfortable with Jason Smith and Morris getting big minutes at center too?  

Given Wall's comments and where the league is trending, they should not be okay with it I don't think. Like you pointed out, the guy is an injury waiting to happen as well.

LeBron is gone - aim high Willis.

21 minutes ago, Destino said:

Yep Mahinmi has always been a fouling machine.  He's a very handsy, grabby defender.  Also watch the way he drops his hands when he's guarding the ball.  He does it consistently.  You are going to foul on the contest when your hands are that low at the start of the shooting motion.  It's a symptom of the way he plays defense.  He gets a fair number of steals and deflections but it's a high risk style that means some nights he's going to be in foul trouble immediately.

I also wonder if the only reason he made it through the full season this year was because he played so few minutes.  14 MPG is nothing.  Can he give us 1800 or 1900 minutes?  Plus playoffs?

I am highly skeptical that he can. 

Plus he doesn't play above the rim.  It'd be nice to have a big with a second bounce for once.

We need to move on from him ASAP.  We need a minutes eater with younger legs and a much cheaper cap number.  I actually do think we should expect Keef to play a lot of C minutes now, but that means we need a better back up 4 than Mike Scott and/or wings who are much more capable of playing the 4.  Otto clearly gets worn down by doing it.  Kelly really doesn't have the size for it.  We've finally got a good array of guards and small forwards, the next steps for us are finding a credible combo forward and getting a cheap young rim protecting C.

I'm looking at Mahinmi's career minutes played and, in four seasons with Indy, he got through most of them without missing a ton of games.  But look at the totals:

'12-'13: 98 games played but only 1472 minutes including playoffs

'13-'14: 96 games played but only 1489 minutes

'14-'15: Only 61 games played and only 1146 minutes

'15-'16: first season as a starter, 78 games played and started, 1988 minutes played.

He's never broken the 2,000 minute mark in a season.  It is doubtful to me that he can start for a whole season for us and make it through, especially if we are hoping to go on a run in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I like this player.  He's a classic three and D hustle guy.  Nothing flashy at all to his game.  Doesn't seem to have more than a two-dribble game, but he looks like a coachable and reliable system guy.  He's short for a forward, but he is very strong and scrappy.  Probably a solid 225-230 pounds.  Wingspan is around 6'10 to 6'11.  Might even be able to scrap at the 4 in small line ups.  I think he could be a gem and we might be able to get him for cheap since he's a local kid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Nerlens Noel to OKC, 2 year deal with player option year 2. Not sure salary yet.

- via Shams

Wonder how the hell they're affording that when they're above the apron.

It has to be a minimum deal.

I'm genuinely surprised he picked OKC over the Lakers or Wizards.  He could have started for both teams.  And we could have paid him more than OKC.

4 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Noel signed for the min after Billy Donovan reaches out First thing during FA and George and Westbrook reaches out as well.

This is fine

Yeah we're not showing the urgency we need to be getting these free agents.  I had reservations about Noel off the court, but we he was better than most of the alternatives.  We needed him a lot more than the Thunder did.  They're a better organization than us.  Thy compete harder.

41 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Dwight the last hope?

**** me man, but you're probably right.  If he'll sign for the MLE, then we might as well do it.

I would guess that Nerlens Noel has a drug problem, and it's the reason his career hasn't panned out.

I would guess that Robert Williams is a pothead and that it's the reason he's already screwing up for Boston.

Those guys would have been great for us on paper.  Young, cheap, athletic rim protectors.  Now we're going to have to settle for something like:

Severely injured and expensive: DeMarcus Cousins

Old and cancerous: Dwight Howard

Young but soft: Alex Len.

Or stay put and roll with an expensive Mahinmi who has little chance of making it through a full season and playoff run as the starter.

On second thought, there is no way we'll get Dwight.  He's going to want to make some money.  He's not going to settle for the MLE.  Not from us anyway.

Watch him go to the Lakers.

There are really no good moves left at center.  They're just gonna be screwed.  Gortat is gonna look like Wilt Chamberlain compared to who we'll be trotting out next year. 

They can try to coax Dwight into signing and see what happens, but to what end.  Just to get through the season and be right back in the same spot hoping to get out from under Mahinmi so they can throw money at another Mahinmi type.

And they'll probably still be capped out next offseason.  Not that the options will be plentiful then either.

That's why we need to get a young big with upside.  Someone who is cheap but has the potential to outplay their deal.

Next year should be easier because Mahinmi will finally be an expiring and we have a lot of other money coming off the books.  We need to find a warm body for this season though.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We could have offered him at least a part of it.  Then used the rest on a forward.

Quite likely, but that tweet kinda implies that Noel took significantly less money.  That’s prolly not the case.

Edited by TryTheBeal!