Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the Thunder would make that deal.

I agree, but I don’t know how desperate they are to shed salary.  Moving those contracts won’t be easy in this free agency market and they really need to move something.  What about this:

wizards: Steven Adams and Demarre Carroll

OKC: Oubre, Austin Rivers, Jarrett Allen

Nets: Otto, Melo, Mahinmi 

Wizards solve their center issue and get out of Mahinmi’s contract.  Carroll gives us a short term starting solution at SF.

OKC gets a promising young super cheap center (for three seasons), Oubre, and massive immediate cap savings.  52 million out versus only 18 million back.

Nets gain a good player in Otto, a seat stuffer in Melo, and the cost for the deal is taking on Mahinmis deal.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Wizards solve their center issue and get out of Mahinmi’s contract.  Carroll gives us a short term starting solution at SF.

We get too little back in return.  Carroll sucks.  He had two outlier seasons in Atlanta and then has been a replacement level player in virtually every other season.  He is not a good option to start at SF.  Adams is good, but giving up two quality wings for a center just to move Mahinmi is bad team building in the guards and wings era.  Otto is a more valuable player than Adams outright.  Adams had a career outlier season last year and Otto had a down season and still had a slightly higher VORP.  Since Otto became a starter, his three year VORP total is 9.5 vs Steven Adams's total over the same span of 6.9.  That means that Adams has roughly added 18.63 wins over a replacement level center for the Thunder the past three seasons.  Otto has added 25.65.

Otto is a little bit better wing than Adams is a center, and the wing position is simply more valuable than the center position.

Otto should ONLY be traded if he nets a clear upgrade in return.  Dumping Mahinmi won't get us the cap space to make losing a building block player like Otto worth it.  It would just save Ted tax money.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The thunder would appear to lose in this but they desperately need to shed salary.  This lets them do that and puts them in a stronger position going forward.  

I don't think OKC is as desperate to save tax money as we think because NBA teams have a massive amount of borrowing power right now.  And I believe that OKC's ownership group might be gearing up to sell the team.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

1 hour ago, SkinInsite said:

Its ironic OKC traded away Harden to avoid paying luxury tax.

I don't think they ever truly cared about winning.  I think making money off their investment is and has always been goal #1.  I think they just got lucky by finding a really good GM who absolutely killed the draft three years in a row, which gave the franchise the appearance of being really competitive.  And I think they're maintaining that appearance of competitiveness right now in an effort to prop up the sale price for their team.

I'm not sure I agree that Otto is a better wing than Adams is a center.  Both players could be much better in different situations.  I think Adams is under rated, and would be wildly more effective playing with Wall than he's ever shown in OKC.  Adams can play and he adds a degree of toughness that I think matches the Wizards personality well.  Otto isn't aggressive and Wall isn't remotely interested in passing him the ball half the time, and never in the 4th. 

Think of it as being about fit instead of simply a side by side comparison.  It would be interesting to see them both in situations where their strengths are better utilized though.

I know Carroll isn't very good.  I included him to solve the issue created by trading both Oubre (who the wizards can't afford to resign) and Otto.  The Wizards would need to add a SF in the deal and Carroll makes the most sense between those three teams. 

If there's a real weakness in this trade (from the wizards perspective), it's that the Wizards would still only go as far as Beal and Wall can take them.  I don't think those two are good enough to make the Wizards into a contender.  I think the Wizards need a dominant player to be a contender, because they don't have one at the moment.  They can't add one with three max deals. 

The weakness of the trade is it would make us worse just to get rid of and replace Mahinmi.  Otto gets frozen out of the offense in fourth quarters and yet he's still more valuable than Adams.  He's a better player and he plays a more valuable position.

Fixing center at the expense of killing our rare strength on the wing is counterproductive.  Wings are more important.

And this is a depressed center market.  We should be able to find a good enough center for cheap.

The ideal situation at center for us is to find a guy who can play 25 good minutes a night at about 15% of our cap or less and then find a dirt cheap back up with some young legs.  Replacing one set of high dollar role players with another one is still committing too much money to the position, even if the new guy is a lot better.

13 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

East finally open and we not in any position to take advantage

I swear I hate that sum**** running the team

he probably gets another year added to the secret extension just because LeBron leaving

Bruh... We should be in position to run the East right now. Straight BS

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Bruh... We should be in position to run the East right now. Straight BS

we are financially ****ed moving forward as well

barring a significant leap from a Beal that has already improved or Otto somehow discovering an aggressive bone his body, we in purgatory AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME

that summer of 2016 should be enough to have Grunfeld prosecuted for malpractice, but it doesn't even register enough for Ted to tell him to get the **** on

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

we are financially ****ed moving forward as well

That's what's tough to take... With three top three talents in your grasp, you did nothing to capitalize off of that and wasted money on nonsense.

He better pull a rabbit outta his ass for real man. 

I've read a lot of bad things about Nerlens Noel off the court, but on the court, he plays really hard.  If we can get him for dirt cheap, I'm all for signing him.  Even to multiple years.  He has the kind of game I want from our C.  Dirty work guy who rebounds and plays defense and can cover pick and rolls.  And he is a solid passer who can finish above the rim.

But there are questions about his character.

And even if he worked out and took over the starting C job, we still have to figure out what to do with Mahinmi.  We're never truly going to be able to balance our team while spending so much on the C position.  We need to be doing like Boston and Golden State and Houston and having that be our cheapest spot on the roster.

We actually have a ton of expiring money coming off next summer.  Pretty much everyone is up except for ****ing Mahinmi, the core 3, and Troy Brown.  Having Meeks, Rivers, and Smith all expire will clear off 22 million in payroll.  Keef is another 8.5 million expiring, and if we can deal Mahinmi for an expiring that's another 15.5 off the books.  That's a ton of savings.  We should be able to keep Sato and Oubre.  And Keef, if he's willing to take a slight paycut.  We're even getting 8k in relief for finally paying off Martell Webster's stretched contract.

If we can get Nerlens for two seasons on the tax payer MLE, then we can actually get under the cap next year by dealing Mahinmi for an expiring.

Brooklyn was able to get out of Mozgov by dealing for Howard.  I would actually consider trading Mahinmi for a worse contract and luxury tax hit this season if it meant getting an expiring back.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Steve, you know what's about to happen. We're going to over spend on Len and trade Mahinmi and our first for someone that's not about to expire. Lol

I don't think we can spend more than the tax payer MLE, which is just over 5 million per year.  The league rules will actually prevent us from making a ruinous signing, like giving a severely and probably permanently injured DeMarcus Cousins 20-30 million a year.  Then again, nothing is stopping us from getting him and doing this in a salary matched sign and trade...

If we could just get a better GM, this situation could be salvaged and we could field strong and competitive teams, even if we can never be contenders capable of beating Golden State.  Here are some hard-learned rules of free agency for the eventual next front office:

- Never give a free agent role player approaching 30 a deal longer than three years

- Never give scrub role players player options

- Never commit more than 20% or your salary cap to PF and C unless one of those players is a true star.

- Never commit big money to a center over the age of 26.  Their legs go fast.

I'm in favor of building our depth at SG and SF with cheap talent like Graham and Brown, but we could also really use a really strong bodied wing like PJ Tucker who can play in the front court.  Not a Jared Dudley though.  Someone who can run and jump and preferably has some length.  Right now our rotation at the 4 is almost as sketchy as it is at the 5.  Basically just Otto and Morris.  Scott is a FA.  Jason Smith is pretty bad at the 4 and Oubre is too undersized for most match ups.  Don't even know what happened to McCullough.

Nerlens can play a little 4, but not with Mahinmi at the 5.  We might want to kick the tires on someone like Noah Vonleh if we don't keep Scott.

*Vonleh on a min deal that is.

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sign Noel or Len for cheap --> trade Mahinmi to get out of his deal --> bring Oubre back for a deal similar to what VanVleet got --> let Rivers expire --> draft a young big like Jarrett Allen.

That's how we get our financial house in order.

So virtually no chance any of this happens. Got it. 

• Sad 1