Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

How much of an upgrade is Austin Rivers over Ty Lawson and is it even worth having that conversation?

*paging Steve*

My thoughts are that I don't even know what kind of player Ty Lawson really is at this point.  His career was almost dead before we called him.  He had some nice games for us, and I think he's going to get an NBA deal from someone this year.  But that was a Hail Mary.  It'd be tough to trust him to back up John for an entire season.  Fast as hell though.  And desperate to find a home in the league again.  I can see him being productive for somebody on a min deal.

Rivers is a lot more dependable.  Plus he can play SG.  He's a cut above what we have typically had backing up John because he's capable of starting for a decent team.  Strong right hand.  Good first step.  Good BBall IQ and work ethic.  I hope he does well here.  I think it'll be natural for us to do a bench mob sub where Rivers, Sato, and Oubre all come in for John/Brad/Otto at about the same point in games.  I see us playing a true ten man rotation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

Chase Hughes and Chris Miller have talked themselves into us being the second coming of 1995-96 Chicago Bulls. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-tipoff-podcast-instant-reaction-dwight-howard-agreeing-deal-wizards

If grunfeld tells chris miller to like the move, chris miller is going to like the move

I remember him saying how much of a positive impact Mahinmi would have too

• Like 2

It will come down to Dwight's attitude.  If he works hard, then the move can work out really well.  If he doesn't care, then things will quickly go South.

One point Chris and Chase made that is worth keeping in mind is that there are a lot of expiring contracts in that locker room this season.  There's going to be a lot of insecurity.  Things can unravel quickly under those circumstances.  It's hard to play for each other when you're worried about your job.

Summer League roster announced: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-announce-2017-18-summer-league-roster-including-first-round-pick-troy-brown-jr

G/F Troy Brown, Jr., Oregon (6-7, 215)

C Thomas Bryant, Lakers (6-10, 248)

G Sam Cassell, Jr., Halcones (6-4, 190)

G Chris Chiozza, Florida (6-0, 175)

F Carrick Felix, Melbourne United (6-6, 200)

G Phil Goss, PAOK BC (6-2, 187)

G Aaron Harrison, Mavericks (6-6, 210)

C Alan Herndon, Wyoming (6-9, 225)

G Tiwian Kendley, Morgan State (6-5, 190)

C Doral Moore, Wake Forest (7-1, 280)

F Ajdin Penava, Marshall (6-9, 220)

F Devin Robinson, Wizards (6-8, 201)

G Jalen Ross, KK Studen Mostar (5-11, 176)

G Issuf Sanon, Olimpija Ljubjana (6-4, 185)

G Philip Scrubb, Skyliners Franfurt (6-3, 185)

F Heng YiFeng, Guangzhou Long-Lions (6-5, 185)

First game is tomorrow, against Cleveland.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It will come down to Dwight's attitude.  If he works hard, then the move can work out really well.  If he doesn't care, then things will quickly go South.

One point Chris and Chase made that is worth keeping in mind is that there are a lot of expiring contracts in that locker room this season.  There's going to be a lot of insecurity.  Things can unravel quickly under those circumstances.  It's hard to play for each other when you're worried about your job.

thats what hurt us that one year we had a bunch of 1yr deals, people were looking out for numbers

I just can't see Dwight not coming in and feeling entitled to a certain number of post touches to get his numbers, especially on a 1yr deal. I can easily see Dwight looking around this locker room and realizing he's led a team further than anyone in here, and passive-aggressively demanding more post opportunities

I do not want to be right about this because I want the Wizards to be fun to watch again. Barring that game against Boston, I really can't remember watching the team last season and enjoying it. It felt more like a chore that had to be done.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

For 23.5 Mill?!?  You’re damn right they told him to kick rocks.

didn't they take on more money overall with Mozgov's deal

this about sums me up. in a vacuum, the moves are reasonable and one could begin to make sense. Then you remember who's pulling the trigger and it reeks of mistakes of free agent seasons past

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Can anyone confirm it was the Andre Blatche that was middle of that basketball brawl overseas?  I think it's him, yall slacking not even bringing this up, lolz

it was him, our captain for a day.

i kept replaying the video, hoping that flying double knee from Thon Maker would land flush

• Haha 3

As for Dwight....

This is a good move only if Wall understands his limitations. Wall should not being taking 17 shots per 36 and shooting 42%, that is not beneficial.

Per 36 I think Wall needs to be around that 14-15 shots per game range. Beal should stay where he was at. Dwight should be getting the same 12-13 FGAs per 36 he was getting last year. Marcin took about 10, so Wall needs to be more effecient and basically give two more shots from himself to Dwight.

Brooks will need to coach too. The offense can't be just Wall dribbling around then trying to shoot or pass with 7 or less seconds on the shot clock. We need wall passing to Dwight in the post early, who then looks to dunk our give an outlet pass, and have Wall in motion a bit for reset to do what he usually has done without dwight.

I like the bench well enough, with Green, SATO, Rivers, Oubre, Mahinmi. I mean its a solid mix of playmakers and shooters with a post guy. 

I am more worried about what we end up doing next offseason.

If I had a pipe dream of us Leonard extending here I would offer Porter and a 1st for him.... Spurs don't have much leverage at the moment for some mega deal

1 minute ago, Skins199021 said:

As for Dwight....

This is a good move only if Wall understands his limitations. Wall should not being taking 17 shots per 36 and shooting 42%, that is not beneficial.

Per 36 I think Wall needs to be around that 14-15 shots per game range. Beal should stay where he was at. Dwight should be getting the same 12-13 FGAs per 36 he was getting last year. Marcin took about 10, so Wall needs to be more effecient and basically give two more shots from himself to Dwight.

Brooks will need to coach too. The offense can't be just Wall dribbling around then trying to shoot or pass with 7 or less seconds on the shot clock. We need wall passing to Dwight in the post early, who then looks to dunk our give an outlet pass, and have Wall in motion a bit for reset to do what he usually has done without dwight.

I don't care how many shots Dwight gets as long as their lobs, putbacks, or rolling to the lane for a dunk. I'm not here for shutting down the offense so Dwight can have post up opportunities, he doesn't really pass well enough to generate anything once the ball goes to him.

Any decrease in Wall shots should lead to more shots for Otto if Brooks is smart, which I remain unconvinced. Otto is the best shooter on the team, put him to work.

Unless he finds that sweet spot in mid range wall needs to shoot less. Its better for the team. Easy buckets from the 5 are easy buckets. You want those. 

If that disrupts Walls driving we are in trouble cause hes the only guy on the squad that can do it effectively. And its his only move if the mid range aint there. 

Im not very hopeful myself but there is hope there. We will see if brooks can get it out of them. 

I think ~17 shots a game from Wall are fine, but more of them need to be three pointers.  I want to see him run more possessions where he does like Sato and passes out to Beal then sprints around a back screen or two to shift the defense and set up on either the FT line extended or the corner.  John can make catch and shoot threes.  37% is solid from that range.  And they leave him alone behind the line too.  Especially since Beal is now good enough to command a double when he has the ball.

51 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I don't care how many shots Dwight gets as long as their lobs, putbacks, or rolling to the lane for a dunk. I'm not here for shutting down the offense so Dwight can have post up opportunities, he doesn't really pass well enough to generate anything once the ball goes to him.

Agreed.  Dwight can be very effective in our Horns offense, but Wall and Beal are far better playmakers and the ball should generally be in their hands.  Dwight needs to be a shotmaker for us, not a shot creator.

This becomes an unguardable play with the five starting personnel we'll be able to put on the court:

high-pick-and-roll-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think ~17 shots a game from Wall are fine, but more of them need to be three pointers.  I want to see him run more possessions where he does like Sato and passes out to Beal then sprints around a back screen or two to shift the defense and set up on either the FT line extended or the corner.  John can make catch and shoot threes.  37% is solid from that range.  And they leave him alone behind the line too.  Especially since Beal is now good enough to command a double when he has the ball.

Yeah but a 43.6% 2 point shooting % is pretty crappy. I rather two less dumb shots from him a game. 

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

If grunfeld tells chris miller to like the move, chris miller is going to like the move

A lot of people were saying that though.  I distinctly remember cuz I thought he was a bum and didnt get why people on this board were looking forward to him returning last year like he was gonna do something.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, justice98 said:

A lot of people were saying that though.  I distinctly remember cuz I thought he was a bum and didnt get why people on this board were looking forward to him returning last year like he was gonna do something.

That Mahinmi deal had a distinctive stank on it from day one and it has only gotten worse since

That deal let me know the lengths some people will go to keep hope alive

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Oh yeah.  Dude is a homer to the Nth degree.