Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're too biased against 22 year old rookies who played full NCAA careers.  Sometimes these guys end up being really good role players right off the bat.

I'm not trying to hype it because it's just Summer League, but with the way dude played, how could he not make this roster? It wasn't like he was doing lucky things, dude was filling up the stat sheet and his athleticism alone should probably get him on the team. Geesh.

28 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I'm not trying to hype it because it's just Summer League, but with the way dude played, how could he not make this roster? It wasn't like he was doing lucky things, dude was filling up the stat sheet and his athleticism alone should probably get him on the team. Geesh.

He's a solid looking player.  Productive, smart, good passer, nice touch on his jumper, pretty good first step and lateral fluidity, and very long arms.  If Luc Richard Mbah a Moute can have a ten year career in the NBA, so can Bates Diop.  He's what you want in a PF now because he can also switch onto 3s and keep them in front of him.

I don't think you can have too many forwards who can shoot and defend.  Especially ones with the size and strength to hold up at the 4.  If we draft Bates-Diop, then we probably don't have to sign Jeff Green.

I still like Sanon though.  Maybe not more than Bates Diop, but I think he can be a good player.

Just now, RonArtest15 said:

Sanon is 2 years away from being 2 years away, to quote Fran Fraschilla.  The pick sucked.  No fault of the kid, he can't help where he was selected.  THere were better options out there that could help immediately. 

I just don't understand why the pick was made. If they think they're close as they think they are, why the hell are they drafting project players?

You don't need a home run every draft, sometimes you just gotta grab some ballers.

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I just don't understand why the pick was made. If they think they're close as they think they are, why the hell are they drafting project players?

You don't need a home run every draft, sometimes you just gotta grab some ballers.

Agreed.  It was a moronic pick, especially considering who was still available.  If I'm not mistaken, there is still a roster spot open on the final-15.  That could have easily been the 2nd round pick. 

I wouldn't say Sanon was a bad pick.  He is talented and has a chance to be quite good.  Point guards are really valuable in today's game and he's 6'4 and he can fly in the open court.  He's got some junk yard dog in him and he has the potential to be an elite on ball defender.  And he's still 18 until October.  That is super young for a draft pick in the one and done era.

His potential is very high.  I think the question is: does the deferred value of Sanon trump the immediate value of Bates Diop?

I think Sanon's physical ceiling is definitely higher than Bates-Diop's, and I think his positional value is higher because it's harder to find good point guards than good combo forwards.

I go back and forth on Bates Diop.  I am impressed by what he's shown in summer league, but I wasn't always that impressed with his college film.  He's skilled but there was always a feeling that a lot of his scoring style wasn't going to translate to the NBA.  A lot of post ups and loping, below the rim stuff.  He's not explosive, he was a one year wonder in college, and a lot of his production came from winning with lower body strength against much younger competition.  I get why he fell in the draft.  But I also see lateral agility and a 7'3 wingspan and think he could be a really good defender at the NBA level and it would have been nice to have him on the roster this year.  All second rounders have warts, but if you can find a rotation player, you've done well.  And I think that if we'd drafted him, there is a good chance we wouldn't have signed Jeff Green and Bates Diop could have backed up the PF position this season.

But at the end of the day, if Sanon pans out then he was a solid pick.  We're going to need a back up PG sooner rather than later.  Sato is going to hit free agency next summer and Rivers is an expiring.  This has been a chronic weakness for us.

• Like 1

Man, I fell asleep during the SL game... From what I did see, Robinson and Brown looked nice. (As Brown just cooks a Shot Clock dagger three-pointer. (And as I'm editing this he dunks on the fast break. He got up there... ))

Also, someone said if Howard stays healthy, he can be the best center we've had since Unseld. That can't be true ?

Edited by CrypticVillain

6 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Man, I fell asleep during the SL game... From what I did see, Robinson and Brown looked nice. (As Brown just cooks a Shot Clock dagger three-pointer. (And as I'm editing this he dunks on the fast break. He got up there... ))

Also, someone said if Howard stays healthy, he can be the best center we've had since Unseld. That can't be true ?

Maybe?  Jeff Ruland and, later on, old Moses Malone did a lot of damage.  Just couldn’t get past the Celtics or the Pistons.

9 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Robinson, Bryant and Brown all performing very well.

I'm ready to give Robinson a spot on the roster..

I'm perfectly content to ride with Bryant and let Mahinmi get paid 16mil to wear suits on the bench

shouldn't be many minutes for Mahinmi anyway as he doesn't do anything differently, in a positive manner, than Dwight. When Dwight's not in the game, we should be playing small most of the time anyway. Let Bryant have the rest of the minutes, he at least represents a different dynamic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I'm perfectly content to ride with Bryant and let Mahinmi get paid 16mil to wear suits on the bench

shouldn't be many minutes for Mahinmi anyway as he doesn't do anything differently, in a positive manner, than Dwight. When Dwight's not in the game, we should be playing small most of the time anyway. Let Bryant have the rest of the minutes, he at least represents a different dynamic.

I would go with Mahinmi instead of Bryant.  I think the second unit benefits more from a defender and screen setter than a shooter at the position.  Jeff Green + Oubre + Rivers + Sato is a fairly good mix of scoring.

But I'm also looking to deal Mahinmi for an expiring, so if I had my way, he'd be shipped out before the deadline.

We could get into trouble if Dwight got hurt though.  Don't want to have to start Bryant.

The last two plays were the plays I was talking about in my post. Lol

Real talk, I think I finally understand what Ernie is trying to do... He is really going all in on the whole "Positionless" basketball movement. That's the only thing I can think of why he's loading this team with combo players. As of now, I think Wall, Howard, Mahinmi, and Bryant are the only players locked into one position when they're on the court.

Also... I think they're going up looking to trade Oubre unfortunately. Kind of felt like it could happen when we drafted Brown. Hope I'm wrong though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Also... I think they're going up looking to trade Oubre unfortunately. Kind of felt like it could happen when we drafted Brown. Hope I'm wrong though. 

The front office is conservative.  They're not really in a hurry to get rid of any of our players.  You saw how long it took them to trade Gortat.

I think the plan with Oubre is to wait and see what kind of progress he makes this season, and then see what his market is like next summer.  We've been pretty good about holding on to our young talent, and I don't think we're going to deal Oubre unless it accomplishes something big.

• Like 1