Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

54 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Walls extension kicks in next summer.  I can do the math when I get home, but I bet dropping Otto won't get you cap space unless you release the cap holds of Sato and Oubre and trade Mahinmi for an expiring contract.

Yeah, those are the moves I was factoring in.

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, those are the moves I was factoring in.

Probably would take a first to dump Mahinmi.  If you let Sato, Kelly, and Keef walk, you could easily end up with a team of John, Brad, Troy Brown, and Dwight and 30 milion in cap space with 11 roster spots to fill and no other tools to add talent.  If you struck out on the worthwhile free agents, then you'd be stuck with a repeat of 2016, only you'd be sans Otto and Keef and you wouldn't have any other young talent in the pipeline than Troy Brown.  It could be a disaster where you'd end up having to settle for something like selling a significantly diminished DeMarcus Cousins as the third member of a second rate big three.

It'd be a path to getting blown up and starting over from scratch within three years.

We won't do it, nor should we.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Spurs won't get much for Kawhi because he's a snake, he said he wants LA, and he missed last season and no one knows how good he still is.

I think he's as good as he ever was.  I'm not buying into the whole mysterious quad injury that side lined him for 73 games.  I'm not saying he didn't have a legit quad injury, I just think he milked it and wants out and in LA.  Evidently all of this stuff started happening after he switched to his current agent, who wants him in LA for shoe deals/endorsements (article I read on this).  

Then the whole having a personal medical group/staff manage his "injury", keeping the team in the dark, rehabbing in NY and actually being hid from team officials when they tried to visit him to talk to him.  This screams bad advice given to him by his agents and family/close friends.  

I also think the Spurs think the same thing and are asking for as much as they can get, which they should, for him in hopes some teams would cave.  And I also think the Spurs could care less about giving him away for nothing to a team even though they know he's gone after next season.  I think it's turned into a **** you, you will be miserable for one more season if that's what it comes down to situation from the Spurs point of view.  

6 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think he's as good as he ever was.  I'm not buying into the whole mysterious quad injury that side lined him for 73 games.  I'm not saying he didn't have a legit quad injury, I just think he milked it and wants out and in LA.  Evidently all of this stuff started happening after he switched to his current agent, who wants him in LA for shoe deals/endorsements (article I read on this).  

Then the whole having a personal medical group/staff manage his "injury", keeping the team in the dark, rehabbing in NY and actually being hid from team officials when they tried to visit him to talk to him.  This screams bad advice given to him by his agents and family/close friends.  

I also think the Spurs think the same thing and are asking for as much as they can get, which they should, for him in hopes some teams would cave.  And I also think the Spurs could care less about giving him away for nothing to a team even though they know he's gone after next season.  I think it's turned into a **** you, you will be miserable for one more season if that's what it comes down to situation from the Spurs point of view.  

I wonder if Kawhi realizes you actually have to talk for shoe deals/endorsements to be profitable?

Spurs would be wrong to keep him just a "**** you" move. That franchise is about to transition to a period of uncertainty for the first time in the last twenty years. You can't let him walk for nothing. I imagine that would be a harder sell than trading him within the conference.

I look forward to the conclusion regardless of how it happens. That first Kawhi press conference, wherever it is, will be a must watch. He got a lot to answer for, silence won't work on this one.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

My take on trading for Kawhi is that, if it requires Otto, it's a really big risk.  If you can get assurances he'd sign an extension, then you pull the trigger.  Although it's worth pointing out that even then, it's still risky.  Dude gets hurt and misses a ton of time and he might be diminished from what he once was.

If he walked, we would be ****ed.  And he'll probably walk.  He's stated publicly that he wants to play in LA, and I think we should take him at his word.

I want us to build something sustainable here.  I don't want everything to always hinge on John's health and level of play.  I want to draft well and put a consistent 50 game winner on the floor.  Nothing we do short of getting LeBron gives us a chance to beat Golden State, so we might as well build a consistent regular season winner.

Id argue that we made the playoffs, what? Last 4/5 years? I mean consistent regular season winner absolutely means jack. The team will make the playoffs this year. And next year. But what good does it do if youre not willing to sacrifice a key player for a great player to try and get over the hump. Im confident that we can agree that individual players impact the team over mediocrr team basketball. Case in point- lebron on cavs. Greek freak on bucks. But you got to build around that with more than role players. Id trade otto in a heart beat for a willing kawhi that will.play his heart out and not play reserve. That would better the team. Sometimes u gotta swing for the fence my man. Even if it falls short.

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Id argue that we made the playoffs, what? Last 4/5 years? I mean consistent regular season winner absolutely means jack. The team will make the playoffs this year. And next year. But what good does it do if youre not willing to sacrifice a key player for a great player to try and get over the hump. Im confident that we can agree that individual players impact the team over mediocrr team basketball. Case in point- lebron on cavs. Greek freak on bucks. But you got to build around that with more than role players. Id trade otto in a heart beat for a willing kawhi that will.play his heart out and not play reserve. That would better the team. Sometimes u gotta swing for the fence my man. Even if it falls short.

There is a big difference between winning 45 games a year and getting 5 and 6 seeds, and winning 55 games a year and getting 1 and 2 seeds.  And the best team has beaten the weaker team with the best player to win the championship in four out of the last five seasons.

Why would you expect Kawhi to be willing or not bounce next summer.  He's made his intentions known and he screwed over a much better organization than ours in San Antonio.

• Like 1

So are you insinuating that role players in ths draft is whats gonna push this team to the finals? Or hope a light bulb comes on and they develop to all star level? Waiting for players to develop is a waste of John's prime and if we are gonna go that route we need to simply start over. If not, get the BEST players available and dont hesitate to put the BEST team possible.

Also, im implying that Kawhi may possibly mail it in if any team trades for him to preserve his health. 

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21

I write an unhealthy amount about the NBA G League, EIC @2Ways10Days, Dad, Husband. Just another Twitter Guy.
Jul 19

Sources: Capital City Go-Go Making Head Coach, General Manager Moves

1*1fAqefZgFDRPJX15VfUnUQ.jpeg

The Capital City Go-Go, the G League expansion affiliate of the Washington Wizards, are preparing to name a head coach and general manager, league sources tell 2 Ways & 10 Days.

According to sources, Oklahoma City Blue assistant Jarell Christian is in the running to be the team’s first-ever head coach. Christian has spent the previous four seasons with the Blue under head coach Mark Daigneault. Christian filled in as interim head coach for the Blue in February 2016 through the remainder of the regular season after the promotion of Daigneault to the Thunder staff.

Meanwhile, former NBA player Pops Mensah-Bonsu is likely to be named General Manager of the new expansion franchise, league sources tell 2 Ways & 10 Days.

https://2ways10days.com/sources-capital-city-go-go-making-head-coach-general-manager-moves-ee23fa7e81ef

Don't know why I'm so sice that Pops Mensah-Bonsu is the GM, but it really made my day. I didn't know he was making moves like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

Don't know why I'm so sice that Pops Mensah-Bonsu is the GM, but it really made my day. I didn't know he was making moves like this. 

Me neither.  He played at George Washington when I was at Richmond and they were our rivals and I remember that I enjoyed heckling him, especially when we traveled to DC.  We had a cooler full of jungle juice on the bus that my degenerate friend Goose mixed and it was so vile only a handful of us actually drank it.  I remember by the time we were within view of the Jefferson Memorial, I was utterly hammered and it was like noon.  Wolf Blitzer was at the game and we heckled him too lol.  I think they were top 25 that year and Mensah Bonsu kept dunking all over us and I remember thinking wtf is this Limey doing playing for the Colonials?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

his level of play better damn well justify this level of corny

Dude is a cartoon character, like straight out Roger Rabbit. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.  But right now he's our looney toon, so I'll hope for the best, until Wall says he wants to kill him (hopefully not).

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dude is a cartoon character, like straight out Roger Rabbit. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.  But right now he's our looney toon, so I'll hope for the best, until Wall says he wants to kill him (hopefully not).

If I had to guess the first Wizard to take a swing at him, I would choose Brad or Markieff

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

TBF, i heard the quote on radio and he was relaying a joking convo with his trainer.  

• Like 1