Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That's a ****ing dumb thing for his trainer to say.  You don't get to just evolve into someone whose been dribbling and shooting from the perimeter their entire lives at age 32.  I want Dwight in the paint at all times except when he's setting high screens.  If he could just be the Orlando version of himself, we will win an ass load of games.

I did a season of the MyCareer mode on NBA2K on the Wizards.  Made a center who specialized in athletic finishing and defense.  Basically a DeAndre Jordan.  No skills whatsoever.  I only averaged like 13 points per game, all coming from putbacks and pick and rolls.  But I also averaged liked 30+ good screens a game and over 16 rebounds and the team had the #1 defense by a huge margin and it went 74-8 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs.  Point being dominant inside play makes it easy to win, but you don't get the ball and you don't get to score.  It's all about relentlessly grinding away in the screen game and on the glass and making sure opponents don't get easy looks at the rim from inside.  It's unglamorous and it's exhausting, but it's how you win.  There is a reason Bill Russell is a top five player and won 37 championships even though ignorant revisionists **** on him for only averaging 15 PPG. 

I am skeptical that Dwight has the toughness, the drive, the legs, and the vigor left to play this role for us.  We need to get someone young and high motor.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a ****ing dumb thing for his trainer to say.  You don't get to just evolve into someone whose been dribbling and shooting from the perimeter their entire lives at age 32.  I want Dwight in the paint at all times except when he's setting high screens.  If he could just be the Orlando version of himself, we will win an ass load of games.

I did a season of the MyCareer mode on NBA2K on the Wizards.  Made a center who specialized in athletic finishing and defense.  Basically a DeAndre Jordan.  No skills whatsoever.  I only averaged like 13 points per game, all coming from putbacks and pick and rolls.  But I also averaged liked 30+ good screens a game and over 16 rebounds and the team had the #1 defense by a huge margin and it went 74-8 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs.  Point being dominant inside play makes it easy to win, but you don't get the ball and you don't get to score.  It's all about relentlessly grinding away in the screen game and on the glass and making sure opponents don't get easy looks at the rim from inside.  It's unglamorous and it's exhausting, but it's how you win.  There is a reason Bill Russell is a top five player and won 37 championships even though ignorant revisionists **** on him for only averaging 15 PPG. 

I am skeptical that Dwight has the toughness, the drive, the legs, and the vigor left to play this role for us.  We need to get someone young and high motor.

Re: the Buckner quote Brave,

My point is that I don't want Dwight thinking about trying to evolve into Davis or Durant for a minute.  That part wasn't taken out of context, that was the trainer telling us Dwight is trying to change to a more perimeter-oriented game.  That is a hare-brained idea.  He will never be able to do what they can do.  But nor can they do what Dwight was able to do when he was actually a great player.  If he wants to model his game after other players, then model it after Gobert.  It just feels to me that Dwight has been playing for himself for so many years that he's forgotten how to play winning team ball.  He's become a mercenary.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, StillUnknown said:

i'm done with the workout vids

not falling into that trap after last season

The only thing worth taking away from them is that Dwight clearly lost weight.  At least I'm hoping that the ones where he looks slim are recent.  Some of that footage looks old.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The only thing worth taking away from them is that Dwight clearly lost weight.  At least I'm hoping that the ones where he looks slim are recent.  Some of that footage looks old.

Those are recent. At least some of them are.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 2 weeks later...