Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not that worried about his stupid and annoying personality.  I'm worried about the loafing.  He hasn't played hard since that first year in Houston.  I don't really expect him to do it now.  Maybe if we're in the mix for a high seed, but not if we're mediocre or bad again.

But the bottom line remains that center is a significant weakness and he can still loaf his way to 12 rebounds a game.  And that's something we need.  If you fix our defensive rebounding problem, then you've fixed a pretty big hole for us.

• Like 1

Dwight's a clown but he's the most talented center we've had here in years.  He's walking into an ornery locker room with guys who probably won't be afraid to put hands on him despite his size.  Just rebound and show a semblance of defensive awareness.  That's all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Remember years ago when GACOLB was still around and he predicted that eventually one of either Blake Griffin, DeMarcus Cousins, or Dwight Howard would be here in DC?

At the time it was a bold claim.  He ended up being right.  But my how the shine wore off those three guys.  Nobody really seems to want them any more.

The game has moved away from their style of play so much that I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of impact on winning these guys can have now.  Well, Cousins is obviously going to win now, but coattail riding is different.

Let's say the best case scenario is Dwight Howard surprises us and plays hard this year and flirts with an All Star type season in terms of his individual production.  How much of a win bump would that actually translate into for us?  Five?  I'd certainly be satisfied with that, but we still don't move the needle on the league.  Our team ceiling is probably 53-55 wins.

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Remember years ago when GACOLB was still around and he predicted that eventually one of either Blake Griffin, DeMarcus Cousins, or Dwight Howard would be here in DC?

At the time it was a bold claim.  He ended up being right.  But my how the shine wore off those three guys.  Nobody really seems to want them any more.

The game has moved away from their style of play so much that I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of impact on winning these guys can have now.  Well, Cousins is obviously going to win now, but coattail riding is different.

Let's say the best case scenario is Dwight Howard surprises us and plays hard this year and flirts with an All Star type season in terms of his individual production.  How much of a win bump would that actually translate into for us?  Five?  I'd certainly be satisfied with that, but we still don't move the needle on the league.  Our team ceiling is probably 53-55 wins.

Realistic best case scenario: Wall returns to 16-17 form, if not slightly better(like lets say fringe MVP caliber player), Beal is an All Star again, Porter is healthy and plays like a high win share player again. Howard beasts out. We get the 2 or 3 seed and win 7 game wars with Philly and Boston before getting trounced in the Finals by the Golden State.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Just read something about the Arenas gun situation. Gil tells his side and explains what went down.

Ugh... It popped up on my news and of course I have no idea how to use my phone to share the link here. 

I gotcha

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24312447/gilbert-arenas-says-gun-incident-trash-talking-not-money

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

That is not the link I read, but it goes on to others that go into detail about the game as well. 

On the computer now. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/gilbert-arenas-reveals-trash-talk-led-2009-locker-room-gun-incident-180723737.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That reads like damage control and we’ve seen this before.  Evidence on the court of major chemistry issues.  Reports concerning those chemistry issues in the locker room.  Offseason reports from local reporters assuring everyone that that stuff was all overblown and that in fact everything is, in fact, great.  In other words... “this is fine.”

They traded him, so we all know its real.

Why dwelling on the past?  This probably the best team we had in a while.  Cool with not playing Christmas, I don't want to have to make time fr them that day anyway, and I'll take my comments of playing 4-5 games on Christmas Day off the air.

Edited by Renegade7

John is never going to stop talking or varnish his opinions.  He's a talker.  He will fill up a column in the time it takes another person to answer a single question.  I don't have a problem with it.  I'm actually glad to see he's confident heading into next season because it indicates he has faith in this construction.

If he didn't, that would be the death knell.

I think the national media misunderstands John, and that's the biggest reason they think there are all these deep chemistry issues with our team.  The team is used to the way John talks and they understand him.  He's very unclear and very rapid fire to anyone else.  Remember when John supposedly disliked Otto?  That was sourced from an interview where John offered honest criticism in response to a question about what Otto needed to do to improve and it was delivered without anger or resentment.  Remember when he and Beal hated each other?  On John's side, a lot of that came from a misunderstanding of John saying that Beal should get the chance to go and earn his money.  John wasn't trashing Beal, he was actually telling critics of his extension to be patient and lobbying for Beal to get a bigger role in a very blunt way.

John can get asked one question and give you a page full of quotes.  And he doesn't speak with clarity.  He's a poor interview who is easy to misinterpret.

• Like 1