Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks if I were a guard.  No one blocking my path to playing time, and Porzingis is the kind of big you want to play with.  Can finish at the rim and shoot so you can run pick and rolls/fades all day.  Plus he can play defense so you don't have to get through every screen.  And he's young so a dropoff isn't eminent.

The Clippers only make sense if you really want to play for Rivers.

Brooklyn is where you go if you want to get 25 shots a night and average near 30 PPG.  They've got no scoring whatsoever.  DeAngelo Russell is their first and only option.  But Jarrett Allen, Faried, Ed Davis, and Rondae Hollis Jefferson could actually be a fun group of forwards and centers to play with if you're a guard who wants to handle the ball the whole time and play downhill and have options to pass to who can play above the rim.

But yeah, the basketball situations at each of these places mean that you're only going to be putting up individual numbers and you won't win.  It's clear he wants to play in LA or New York, but without playing second fiddle to LeBron on the court.

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he's said before that anything less than 50 wins would be unacceptable

Ted's words are meaningless

Ted is a man of his word. He said less than fifty wins would be unacceptable and followed this up with concrete actions. Only extended Grunfield for ten years instead of twenty after the miserable season.

That'll put the fear of G-d in 'em.

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he's said before that anything less than 50 wins would be unacceptable

Ted's words are meaningless

It all hinges on getting Howard to buy in and play the way he "needs to" instead of "wants to".  Saw the thing where Kemba said he wasn't a locker room cancer, which should be good news for y'alls ears.  The last projections I saw, they had the Wiz at 47 wins, if Dwight buys in and y'all stay healthy, I could see 52 wins happening.  

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It all hinges on getting Howard to buy in and play the way he "needs to" instead of "wants to".  Saw the thing where Kemba said he wasn't a locker room cancer, which should be good news for y'alls ears.  The last projections I saw, they had the Wiz at 47 wins, if Dwight buys in and y'all stay healthy, I could see 52 wins happening.  

Cancer is probably too strong a term, as I don't think Dwight is a "bad" guy. Just someone who's act wears thin very quickly

Howard produced for them on the court and they still traded him for one of the worst contracts this side of Ian Mahinmi. You don't do that unless there is some validity to the problems

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Cancer is probably too strong a term, as I don't think Dwight is a "bad" guy. Just someone who's act wears thin very quickly

Howard produced for them on the court and they still traded him for one of the worst contracts this side of Ian Mahinmi. You don't do that unless there is some validity to the problems

True, but like I said, if he buys in and plays the way he needs to instead of the way he wants to, y'all will be fine.  Dwight's biggest problem is Dwight, and when things weren't done the way he wanted, is when his immaturity showed on the court, blaming others, etc.

If he does what he is supposed to on offense and defense, I think y'all win 50+ games, possibly snag a 3 seed.  If he doesn't buy in, then you're stuck with a guy that kills the fast pace of your offensive, demands to post up and milks the clock to almost nothing before putting up a shot and slacks off on defense and misses assignments while pointing the finger at teammates.  

Jimmy Butler is not a good fit for this team, from a skill set perspective or a personality perspective.  This is a place for big personalities and if you don't have one, you're going to get rail roaded.  And he's a ball handling wing who isn't a good shooter.  His salary is also prohibitive.  Trading Otto for him is just about the only way to make the money work without trying to overload a deal with junk assets, and that would be too big a risk for us to take on since Butler could walk next summer.

It's a shame because the guy is a talented scorer and a hard nosed defensive player who has been on highly competitive teams in the past.  Very Scottie Pippen-like.  I wish we had better assets to package with Mahinmi to get the Wolves to bite but we can't take the risk of giving up value for an expiring player who is a dodgy fit.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Nope. Don't want him.

Butler the player? I like.

Butler the personality? Not so much.

I think he’d fit in well with a Wall and Beal.  Wall, Beal, Butler, and Morris is a whole lot of toughness.  D Howard might be scared to show up at practice though.  

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The other big risk with Butler is that he's 29 and would be looking for at least a four year max deal next summer going into his age 30 season.  That is a terrible risk to take.  Thibs has run him to the point that I doubt he has any cartilage left in his legs.

This is a good point.  None of Thibs’ players last.  

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think he’d fit in well with a Wall and Beal.  Wall, Beal, Butler, and Morris is a whole lot of toughness.  D Howard might be scared to show up at practice though.  

This is a good point.  None of Thibs’ players last.  

I dont think Butler fits in well with anybody.  Two teams, both ended poorly with conflict.  I cant see how it would be any different on the Wizards.  

• Thanks 1