Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Congrats to Jordan Clarkson -- I can put closure on my bitterness over him as there'd be no way the Wizards to have Clarkson, Beal and Wall under their current contracts. 

Gee - I wish we had a young big man to put on the roster right now... okay the Morris and Gortat deals look kind've ridiculous... but a young big man would put a cherry on top of this team and.... how much has Grunfeld tried to acquire one....

Timing is everything.

Pretty much....just the nature of the landscape of the league when these guys are signing their max deals.  OBVIOUSLY Wall is worth well more than what he's making.  He's a bargain.  That next contract of his will be insane...

Congrats to Jordan Clarkson -- I can put closure on my bitterness over him as there'd be no way the Wizards to have Clarkson, Beal and Wall under their current contracts. 

Gee - I wish we had a young big man to put on the roster right now... okay the Morris and Gortat deals look kind've ridiculous... but a young big man would put a cherry on top of this team and.... how much has Grunfeld tried to acquire one....

Dwight Powell. 

What position is Ryan Anderson expected to play if he becomes a Wiz? I though Morris was the starting PF

PF. There are going to be a lot of minutes available at PF because Morris is only a 26-28 MPG player (and that might be expecting too much). Anderson is also a natural sixth man, so he probably wouldn't start over Morris.

I don't understand why people thought contracts would stay the same after the cap went way up. These are just inflated contracts keeping up with the cap. These contracts probably won't even look bad in the near future as the cap is expected to make a big jump again

The problem is that people are projecting that the cap will go back down in the summer of 2018. It looks an awful lot like the NBA is experiencing a bubble. If that's true, then these big deals could become really detrimental in years three and four.

Someone on RealGM had a fantastic idea and I wish I could take credit for it, but here it is:

- Portland looking to max Chandler Parsons and sign Dwight Howard

- Portland needs cap space to do it

- Trade them a future second round pick to take Ed Davis off their hands. Two years left on his deal, seven million per.

It's genius. Gets us a good 27 year old back up C for bottom dollar.

Trading for salary dumps from teams who are big game hunting this summer is where the real value of this FA period is at.

• Like 2

Did you read the article a few months ago about KD not wanting to play in DC?  

It wasn't out of his mouth, but someone from his inner circle said that said DC is home for him and he enjoys playing in front of the hometown crowd when he comes through once a year, but that he does not want to play for the Wizards.  That he didn't want the pressure and expectations that playing in DC would happen if he signed there.  

I get this, honestly. KD is from here, and he's a true Skins fan, so he knows how easily the local media and fanbase can turn on a person. Look at RG3. Look at Gil. This area can be passionate to a fault sometimes, and I think he may be looking long-term and wants to come back here when he retires. And if he can't bring a championship to DC, he'd much rather his retirement be full of people looking up to him within the community instead of getting ****ted on by the likes of Czabe and co. and/or the community. 

I get this, honestly. KD is from here, and he's a true Skins fan, so he knows how easily the local media and fanbase can turn on a person. Look at RG3. Look at Gil. This area can be passionate to a fault sometimes, and I think he may be looking long-term and wants to come back here when he retires. And if he can't bring a championship to DC, he'd much rather his retirement be full of people looking up to him within the community instead of getting ****ted on by the likes of Czabe and co. and/or the community. 

Exactly.  I can't blame him for feeling that way and not wanting to put up with the DC media.  

Well I also think another factor is how anonymous the Wizards are. Even within the surrounding market. Durant would have to do a lot of heavy lifting to improve the level of fan support and game atmosphere in the Verizon Center. TBH that'd suck for a 10 year vet who is just trying to win championships before his good years are over. Say what you want about Oklahoma City, but it's a one team town that is rabid about the Thunder and provides the kind of game atmosphere you get from a storied college program.

• Like 1

Someone on RealGM had a fantastic idea and I wish I could take credit for it, but here it is:- Portland looking to max Chandler Parsons and sign Dwight Howard- Portland needs cap space to do it- Trade them a future second round pick to take Ed Davis off their hands. Two years left on his deal, seven million per.It's genius. Gets us a good 27 year old back up C for bottom dollar.Trading for salary dumps from teams who are big game hunting this summer is where the real value of this FA period is at.

This is excellent.

Man, too many people here are worried about money that's not theirs.

We need talent and we need it bad.  I don't give a **** how much Beal is getting.  If we didn't give it to him, someone else would have.  Who cares if he makes $40m more than Wall.  We're talking about a multi-millionaire making less than another multi-millionaire, lol.  None of us can relate to that.  The owners have so much money to spend that you can't compare these deals to any previous deals made in the NBA.  Max deal doesn't mean franchise player.

Anyway, we need to sit this out until the dust settles.  Then Ernie will make a deal that will redeem himself before his next screw up.  Please get Cousins.

Edited by CBass1724

The Lakers just shelled out 16 million a year...

These teams will be remembered as the ****-show-time Lakers.

I find myself trying to not go full out ham. What is it now nearly 40 years? The Lakers of all teams. Please save your carpal tunnel. Edited by Kosher Ham

Man, too many people here are worried about money that's not theirs.

We need talent and we need it bad.  I don't give a **** how much Beal is getting.  If we didn't give it to him, someone else would have.  Who cares if he makes $40m more than Wall.  We're talking about a multi-millionaire making less than another multi-millionaire, lol.  None of us can relate to that.  The owners have so much money to spend that you can't compare these deals to any previous deals made in the NBA.  Max deal doesn't mean franchise player.

Anyway, we need to sit this out until the dust settles.  Then Ernie will make a deal that will redeem himself before his next screw up.  Please get Cousins.

I never like the "its not our money" logic. Technically, it IS our money. We as fans pay for the product. But that's another argument...

As I always said regarding the Skins when they'd splurge, just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it. That's the kind of logic that gets you Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas on max deals.

Beal is a talent no doubt, but that kind of money is absurd for someone who A)can not stay healthy and B)has never made an All-Star game. I fully understand that we'd have a big hole at SG if we didn't resign him, but what if he doesn't really develop(because of injuries or otherwise)? Now we have this massive albatross around our necks.

No need to be snarky about it.  The owners have it to spend with all the new money so comparing a deal this year to the one Wall signed in 2014 just doesn't work.  Just because you don't think someone is a max player doesn't mean the market or NBA GM's agree with you.

It's not just with Beal.  It's with all the players being discussed in here where someone says "he's not worth that."

Anyway, you all have my permission to proceed and discuss things accordingly.  Don't forget to send me a PM before you bring up any new topics in here.

Yeah I don't get the ****ing about the Beal deal but we all knew it was coming. And if you didn't sign him someone else would have. So you lose Beal and then what? Yeah you have money but then you'll spend it on who? Courtney Lee? Jr Smith? Eric Gordon? I'd take Beal over all those guys. So stop ****ing and realize this is what the NBA salary cap is now and people are going to get paid. Has Beal earned the max deal? No but I'll take my chance on him at 23 rather than my other options. Because we know when Beal is healthy he is a very good scorer. We just have to hope he stays healthy. I'm fine with the gamble.

• Like 5

No need to be snarky about it.  The owners have it to spend with all the new money so comparing a deal this year to the one Wall signed in 2014 just doesn't work.  Just because you don't think someone is a max player doesn't mean the market or NBA GM's agree with you.

It's not just with Beal.  It's with all the players being discussed in here where someone says "he's not worth that."

Anyway, you all have my permission to proceed and discuss things accordingly.  Don't forget to send me a PM before you bring up any new topics in here.

If they had let Beal walk, the majority of Wiz fans would be ready to riot.  I've not cared for years on what a billionaire owner is willing to pay for a player.  And with salary caps increasing every year, payers that are lower tier than other players are going to get paid.  

Look at Jeremy Lin, he's gonna make $12 million a year.  That's right at what Kemba and Steph Curry make.  Is Lin better than those guys?  Hell no.  He's good off the bench, I hate to lose him, but another team has money to throw at him and needs a starter, so he gets more money than other guys that are better than him make.

Just the way it works.  Players sign contracts, then while under contract, lesser players (talent wise) are the best available at their position and teams have to pay for it.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

Yeah I don't get the ****ing about the Beal deal but we all knew it was coming. And if you didn't sign him someone else would have. So you lose Beal and then what? Yeah you have money but then you'll spend it on who? Courtney Lee? Jr Smith? Eric Gordon? I'd take Beal over all those guys. So stop ****ing and realize this is what the NBA salary cap is now and people are going to get paid. Has Beal earned the max deal? No but I'll take my chance on him at 23 rather than my other options. Because we know when Beal is healthy he is a very good scorer. We just have to hope he stays healthy. I'm fine with the gamble.

Lets spend $130 Mil on a guy so we can secure our spot in the East as a routine ~45 game winner 1 or 2 and done playoff team. Sounds like a great plan.

Lets spend $130 Mil on a guy so we can secure our spot in the East as a routine ~45 game winner 1 or 2 and done playoff team. Sounds like a great plan.

So, your main objection is that Beal isn't Michael Jordan? It's a good signing and one that 100% of the GMs in the league would seek to accomplish.

Beal with it.

• Like 5