Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not even going to see if anyone else does it first KNOWING WE CAN MATCH? Not even going to wait to use the moratorium to try and offer a max deal to another FA? Just going to go ahead and up Beal's cap commitment from the 15 million dollar hold to the 22 million dollar number in the first hours of free agency for no reason? We're dumping like 7 million in free cap money to use during the moratorium for no reason. As far as we know Beal hasn't even talked to a single other team yet.

Amateur hour.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Not even going to see if anyone else does it first KNOWING WE CAN MATCH? Not even going to wait to use the moratorium to try and offer a max deal to another FA? Just going to go ahead and up Beal's cap commitment from the 15 million dollar hold to the 22 million dollar number in the first hours of free agency for no reason? We're dumping like 7 million in free cap money to use during the moratorium for no reason. As far as we know Beal hasn't even talked to a single other team yet.

Amateur hour.

I'm really hoping they mean that it's an agreement in principle. I mean even Ted and Ernie can't be stupid enough to flush 7 mil in cap room down the toilet right? Right? Anybody?

I'm really hoping they mean that it's an agreement in principle. I mean even Ted and Ernie can't be stupid enough to flush 7 mil in cap room down the toilet right? Right? Anybody?

Yeah I hope you are right. But we can never be sure. This FO has no credibility left.

The moratorium means they literally can't sign the deal right? So by rule, we can't flush our cap money down the toilet until the five days are over? I really hope that's the case.

Wizards, moving on from Durant, will try and hammer out framework of new deal for Bradley Beal tonight. Max would run five years, $133M.

Agreement on framework would allow Wizards to pursue other free agents with existing cap space, then officially re-sign Beal.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Ted is an absolute loser. I mean say what you will about Dan Snyder, but even at his worst he could at least sell. If Ted didn't luck into Ovechkin on the Caps and Wall on the Wiz he'd be an even bigger disaster then Snyder ever was.

• Like 1

Yeah this is a horrible FA class. No depth available at any position except C. 2012 was a good year to come into the league.

Honestly, unless you can get one of the four or five guys actually worth a max deal, I think you're better off sitting FA out and just making trades for guys who signed extensions last year and the year before. These contract numbers for the first and second tier FAs are going to be terrible and the cap is going to go back down in the summer of 2018.

• Like 1

Y'all know the absolutely best we are gonna do is Beal, Anderson and small parts.

Yeah. But I'm not sure I even want Anderson at the price we'll be looking at. If we do sign him, I want the deal to be short. 2 years would be nice. 2+1 (team option) would be ideal. 2+1 (player option) would be acceptable. 4 years would be terrifying.

The best way to play this FA market is to sit it out. Make trades, wait for the money to come back down to Earth in a few weeks, then go bargain hunting. It's not sexy, it won't assuage a pissed off fan base, and the players might publicly grumble about the inactivity. But it's the best way to secure the long term health of the roster construction. This is a disastrously player-friendly market and one albatross contract (Beal's) should be enough risk for us to take on for one summer.

Unfortunately, when the dust settles, we'll be stuck with Ryan Anderson and a bunch of other parts.  On the positive, a lot of these other signings are saving Grunfeld from himself.  On the other hand, as mentioned before, we'll most likely sign Ryan Anderson.  Ugh.  All of this paves the way for Wall's eventual departure in 2019. 

Wizards are one of the worst run teams in ALL of sports.  No hyperbole. 

Edited by RonArtest15

Wizards are one of the worst run teams in ALL of sports.  No hyperbole.

Our ownership and management is lousy. But I'm not convinced we're even one of the worst run teams in the NBA. You've got the Lakers and Kings and Sixers and Nets and Knicks as legit trainwrecks. We're just anonymously bad, not in their class.

• Like 1