Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Going through questions in my head. 

• Are they planning to be this bad again and there isn't a coach better who will sign up for 15 wins? 
  • Even with a new front office, do coaches not want to come here unless there are no other options? 
  • Did they interview anyone else? 
  • Maybe they really liked Keefe? 
  • Even with a new front office, this feels like a Ted move. Right? 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Going through questions in my head. 

• Are they planning to be this bad again and there isn't a coach better who will sign up for 15 wins? 
  • Even with a new front office, do coaches not want to come here unless there are no other options? 
  • Did they interview anyone else? 
  • Maybe they really liked Keefe? 
  • Even with a new front office, this feels like a Ted move. Right? 

Not to me.

Keefe is actually respected around the league..particularly when it comes to player development.

And that's where this team is at the moment 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not to me.

Keefe is actually respected around the league..particularly when it comes to player development.

And that's where this team is at the moment 

It feels clearly a priority over situational basketball such as rotations, establishing roles, designed plays.

Wes Jr was respected, Keefe seems like a placeholder while we accept not being relevant right now.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It feels clearly a priority over situational basketball such as rotations, establishing roles, designed plays.

Wes Jr was respected, Keefe seems like a placeholder while we accept not being relevant right now.

I think it's a mix of a few things, especially after reading the WaPo article this AM. Yeah, he was 8-31 last year. People like Kuzma talking about how they started to be competitive. So, the guys here apparently like him. Add in that the front office probably wants him to play a very young lineup maybe without adding much of anything this summer. The thought could be that he's tasked with developing and if they get better under him, he could get a shot to keep coaching if it works. If not, doesn't matter either way. No idea what their cap room looks like next season.

• Like 1

Mystics are as bad or worse than expected? Their rookie Edwards has been a non-faction with like 3 points a game and playing a little more than a dozen minutes per. Sounds like Thibault has lost self control on side. 

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:01 PM, Renegade7 said:

Wes sucked as a coach.  If his name wasn't Unseld, he doesn't get "moved" to the FO and is actually fired.  Wes left the organization to be an assistant in Chicago.  Keefe is fine.  This team is going to tank for at least the next two years.  They owe a protected pick to the Knicks that they have to ensure they keep (i.e. the pick is top 10 protected in 2025 and top 8 protected in 2026, if the pick doesn't convey, then the Wiz owe two 2nd rounders instead).  The team is all about developing young players for the next two years.  When you don't have a single player capable of making an all-star game (maybe Deni could make it as a reserve one day), you have to tank.  

At a little less than 4 weeks  to go.  I am fine with Rissacher, Topic, and Castle... Sarr seems like a consensus #1, albeit a weak one.  Ultimately it's gonna be up to the FO and Staff to sift who will be the best via workouts.  I think I would be fine with one of the UK guards either.  

It's all a dice roll.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 11:16 AM, @DCGoldPants said:

Mystics are as bad or worse than expected? Their rookie Edwards has been a non-faction with like 3 points a game and playing a little more than a dozen minutes per. Sounds like Thibault has lost self control on side. 

He did last year. I saw it.

Everyone agreed this would be a rebuild, but they shouldn't be this bad.

Kinda stunned the Edwards pick isn't even close to the limit impact on the floor as Reese.  It's early, buy they shouldn't be this far apart.

Coach will ultimately be held responsible for that and develop of Austin.

Doing some research and Fever being 2-9 is concerning but who are they ahead of in the East?

Yinz Washington Mystics who have started the season with an ignominious 0-8 record.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I stand by what I said on Reese...juice wasn't worth the squeeze jus to sell tickets...

RDT_20240604_2233294474601983595326411.jpg

Edwards had a nice stat line yesterday. Finally. I understand what you're saying, and typically I would agree. Especially if the rookie they took was playing better overall. But this is the year of women's hoops and what I never see on social media when they show players from LA, LV, Chicago, Indiana, NY, Conn showing up for their games....... Washington. Not once so far. Even before they were halfway to this many loses. I imagine its a full tank for Paige Bueckers as long as she has a really good year at UConn. Otherwise, Eric Thibault should have been fired already.

• Like 1

Jeremy Woo on ESPN's best case pro comp for Rissacher is Khris Middleton lol.  How is he so widely considered the top player in the class?

Just spend the pick on Donovan Clingan.  These players are always underrated.  Marc Gasol was a second round pick and thrown into a notoriously unbalanced trade as a ham sandwich before he became a franchise player in Memphis.  Walker Kessler was a late first pick that got passed around like a blunt before ending up in Utah and third in the ROTY voting.  No thanks on drafting some soft guard or wing whose upside is glorified role player.  Get the defensive anchor and try again for a better perimeter player next year.