Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Enjoy standing by and supporting a scum bag. I for one couldnt stomach it. You think its a bit unfair? Fine, you can make that argument. But supporting someone like that boggles my mind.

I guess we hate Fellaini then...

In case anyone was wondering what Mike Tyson thinks about Suarez:

Mike Tyson believes Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will make up with Branislav Ivanovic -- just as the former world boxing champion did with Evander Holyfield.

Tyson started to follow Suarez on Twitter when he heard of the weekend incident.

He added: "I saw this guy (Suarez) on the Twitter thing and thought I would check it out and see what his journey was all about."

He told the David Glenn radio show: "He (Suarez) bit someone, it happens. I am sure he will make amends with this guy. I made amends with Evander and we got on with our lives."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1422795/mike-tyson-on-luis-suarez:-%27he-bit-someone,-it-happens%27-?cc=5901

Ya' know victimisation like this makes yers support Suarez even more.

I was, and still am, disgusted by what he did Sunday. And he needs help psychologically and support. And I was fully down with cutting our loses and moving him on. But **** 'em all! We'll ride out this ban, keep hold of the best striker in Europe, and have him ram it back down everyone's throats from next October. Sign someone to compliment Sturridge and Borini this summer to see us through and add to the depth when Luis is back. Let the witch hunt continue. And we'll let Europe's best do his thing on the pitch.

Hail.

I didn't know that Messi or Lewandowski or Cavanni played for Liverpool.

Yes, Suarez is a good striker, but not in the class of the 3 above.

As for biting a person, the LAST time he did it,he got a 7 game ban. It didn't work, so now he gets 10.

As for comparisons, Joey Barton was given 12 games for a bad tackle and handbags with 2 other players.

I really can't believe that any rational person would think that biting a person is excusable on any level and only worth 3 games.

Considering Messi isn't an out and out forward, which, like Robaldo makes the pairs goal record even more ridiculous; I'd take issue that Suarez hasn't been the best striker in Europe the past 12 months.

His fellow Uruguyan Cavanni is a good shout, but technically Lewandowski doesn't come close to either. And Suarez dwarfs both on the International stage. But the major difference is both players you mentioned have a far better supporting cast at their respective clubs. The majority of Suarezs chances/ goals come from brilliant play from himself.

All subjective. But outside of Messi and Ronaldo not being out and out strikers; I don't see one that's given more in terms of goals and his all round game than Suarez the past season.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'm about to give so much crow to people saying Real Madrid was beyond to talented for Dortmund. I pointed out how well Dortmund played them in the group stage.

I hope, for your sake, that they win it all this year. If the reports are true and Gotze is off to Munich, Dortmund will have a giant hole and a lot of money to try and fix it. If Gotze is gone, I fear Lewandowski will not be far behind him...

Read a report today that Lewandowski was set to sign for Blackburn for 4 million (pounds) but the Iceland volcano cancelled the flight and the deal was cancelled. Boo-urns.

Found a site that tracks the standings of all teams in the Premiership and Football League from 1889 to last year. Good to get some perspective at times. Makes me want to start a Bradford City career in FIFA, too.

http://aharm.net/football-tables.html

I guess we hate Fellaini then...

I will never support dirty play by a team I root for. Its an embarrassment. If I see a player on Everton, or the Redskins, playing dirty, I call it out the same I would on another team.

I guess Liverpool fans not only are okay with it, but support it if the player is any good.

I don't post much in here, just wanted to congratulate Big Sam and the Hammers for a successful (and at the moment top half) season in the Premier League. I don't think I can really dare to dream any higher than what they accomplished this season.

I'm about to give so much crow to people saying Real Madrid was beyond to talented for Dortmund. I pointed out how well Dortmund played them in the group stage.

They may be more talented ... but their system, and the work ethic of some of their players, was a bust against the way Dortmund played.

I'm trying to get a feel for the culture, so forgive me if I'm opening up a can of worms here. Not trying to be insensitive. But, I would like to understand why you feel Liverpool is constantly unjustly perceived/treated, GHH. This isn't meant as a jibe, I'm honestly curious. My google foo doesn't work for something like this. I know about Hillsborough (and in greater depth thanks to you), but is there anything else that makes you feel that way?

As a City or a Football Club OB?

Whilst you clarify, I will say the more I think on this, I sincerely hope the club appeals this. Nothing to lose. They extend the ban, so be it. We get it reduced by even one game, it's a mini success. The punishment is draconian and vindictive against the player to the extreme. We need Ayre to grow a pair and come out with some VERY strong comments to. 100% behind Brendan Rodgers comments today.

I was sent something earlier from the Daily Third Reich, uhmm, Daily Mail; saying he should be up for GBH and deported. Ivanovic never even had a mark on him when the Police checked him out. But apparently losing your head in the heat of the moment, and nobody doesn't disagree that it was outrageous and he needs help along with reasonable punishment; is worse than racism and going out to end a players career.

John Terry calls someone a black c***/ **** 3 or 4 times over, clearly heard, and get's a slap on the wrist and a 4 match ban. Roy Keane does just about the worst thing I've ever seen on a football pitch and openly goes out, in a revenge attack, to purposefully maim an opponent, and succeeds in doing Alf Ing Haaland. He then compounds that by standing over Haaland and his shattered leg screaming abuse at him. He takes a 5 match ban. Jermain Defoe bites an opponent. But gets nothing as he was booked and the draconian FA won't review incidents the officials see. Lately, McManaman, (the Wigan player), Sergio Augero of Man City in the Cup semi; Nasri of City last week at 'Spurs all committed shocking, potential career ending tackles that have gone unpunished. Yet the horrible, dirty, racist South American get's hit with nearly a half season of bans from two incidents. One of which was complete B/S on a racism charge that basically amounted to one mans ( a confirmed liar who's been involved in similar against two other players which went unfounded) against another. All supposedly said in a crowded penalty area yet nobody else heard the alleged racist abuse. But let's hammer the dirty South American for 8 games regardless. Even though we have no proof one way or the other.

No MisterP, I aren't going to take the gutless cop-out option and pile in on the continued witch-hunt against a man who gets treated completely different from any other player. If you think it's a good enough reason to not stand up for a guy so biasedly treated because you perceive him to be a 'thug' then you have a COMPLETELY different perception to myself from what's morally right and wrong.

The fact that you think 10 games wasn't enough for a childish act of stupidity that nobody either condones or argues doesn't deserve reasonable punishment; when you can go over the top and get a maximum 3 game ban for breaking someones leg is utterly beyond me. Not even a mark on Ivanovics skin but you've got him condemned as akin to an animal that doesn't deserve any support?

Forgive me for countering and saying your obvious club bias is shining through so brightly it's blinding. However much you dress it up as not and deny it.

Hail.

Mainly as a football club, but if the history of the city has something to do with that I'm curious as well. Feel free to lay both on me.

Disclaimer: I'm a lifelong Liverpool fan (mother hails from there), but the scousers have a reputation for lack of work ethic, petty crime, and benefits fraud. Some of it richly deserved. Much of it not.

In this case I think Brendan Rodgers statement is understandable. Which other players would have got this length ban for the same incident?

i_scousers_react.jpg

No MisterP, I aren't going to take the gutless cop-out option and pile in on the continued witch-hunt against a man who gets treated completely different from any other player. If you think it's a good enough reason to not stand up for a guy so biasedly treated because you perceive him to be a 'thug' then you have a COMPLETELY different perception to myself from what's morally right and wrong.

The fact that you think 10 games wasn't enough for a childish act of stupidity that nobody either condones or argues doesn't deserve reasonable punishment; when you can go over the top and get a maximum 3 game ban for breaking someones leg is utterly beyond me. Not even a mark on Ivanovics skin but you've got him condemned as akin to an animal that doesn't deserve any support?

Forgive me for countering and saying your obvious club bias is shining through so brightly it's blinding. However much you dress it up as not and deny it.

Hail.

You would have an argument if he didnt have a history of dirty acts. You act like this was the first thing he has done. If this was, I would agree, 10 match ban is outrageous. But its not. He hasnt learned his lesson. Maybe now he will listen and control himself and stop playing dirty.

I dont think I have a bias based on the club he plays at. I am not from Liverpool, I do not have the loathing for Liverpool FC as an Everton fan that someone from Liverpool probably does. I thought that Suarez getting banned 8 games for racial abuse on Evra that couldnt be proved was ridiculous when it happened. If I was biased, I dont think I would have felt that way. I dont include what happened in that situation with my thought process.

I also think those potentially career ending/season ending tackles should get more of a ban. Roy Keane should have been banned for life in my mind after what he did. If he did that out in the street he would have gone to prison.

You dont have to pile on him. You can say that what he did was wrong, that he should be punished, admit he has a history of being unable to control himself. And even if the 10 game ban is more then you think he should get, his history played a part in the 10 match ban. You disagree, thats fine, I can understand your argument. But no one made this happen except Suarez, he brought it on himself. If he controlled himself and didnt give anyone the opportunity to ban him, this wouldnt have happened. Who else is to blame but Suarez?

Edited by MisterPinstripe

No question the player himself is to blame for Sunday. He's his own worst enemy and as World class a talent as he is I have some serious reservations as to what's more prudent from the club to do as regards his future that's had me in a lot of heated debates the past few days with friends and work colleagues.

But I won't not stand up for him against the vindictive witch-hunt against him that has gone on from day one in this Country, culminating in some outrageously unfair treatment when he does transgress.

As his manager said earlier, he needs helping along with being punished. For the FA to turn around before an Independent Panel sat and suggest the normal 3 games would be nowhere near enough is prejudice to the player and process in itself. To then have the panel treat him totally different to anyone else with a 10 game ban is nothing short of victimisation. Rodgers 6 game ban, 6 game suspended suggestion whilst he gets help to control that anger would of been perfect and nobody would of complained. He was childish, embarrassing and totally in the wrong. No debate there.

But there is when there's one punishment for Luis Suarez. And one for everyone else.

Hail.

*I'll get back to you OB on you're question later. Now I need to eat dinner.

Mainly as a football club, but if the history of the city has something to do with that I'm curious as well. Feel free to lay both on me.

Probably not the thread, but you asked ..... I'll try be brief .....

Liverpool has always been looked down upon by the rest of the Country. Particularly in the '80's. We were the work-shy trouble causers that wouldn't bend over and take Thatchers B/S. We stood up and fought against her until she had to concead and give money she wouldn't elsewhere. (For 'work-shy' read a City that was hit harder than most places under the ******* rule.). We were the City responsible for Militant and the Toxteth riots. We were the football club involved in a terrible tragedy we still feel a sense of shame over in Belgium at the 1985 European Cup Final. (Forget all the mitigating factors that lead upto it.). Then again 4 years later at Sheffield. We weren't like them. So why should they believe us over the law of the land? So Scousers being Scousers; we refused to lie down and kicked and screamed and fought in the face if every obstacle placed in our way. We took on the Police, media and Governments lies. TOTALLY un-British if us to do that to England's (not so) finest institutions! The on-going results of which you know.

We've always been different. We talk funny. We're fiercely independent and have a mind of our own. We don't lie down and accept the **** that's thrown our way like so many good old traditional Brits. We have a great sense of community and ability to find humour through the toughest of times. Things long since list elsewhere. And when our football team dominated for a long duration the National pastime like no other before or since until Utd of the last two decades, they hated us even more. Why should those benefit cheating adgitists get to swan around Europe whilst good minded decent Brits support them through their taxes?

I could go on and on. The support of the dockers through their totally unjust labour dispute when everyone else turned their backs on them. But you get the picture I'm sure. Which all goes to explain why we don't bother with England on a Natuonal level. The Country shuns us. Why should we support them?

Don't get me wrong, we're far from perfect and have earned some of the reputation we have as was noted a few posts up. But the majority isn't just because we dare to stand up for ourselves and don't do the honourable Brit thing and suffer in silence.

That's the City, and when I mentioned the unjust way the clubs treated I was referring to Suarez and the impact on the club and how it's viewed for sticking by him.

Sorry for rambling. Hope that goes someway to explaining things.

I'm just a spirited and proud Liverpudlian from one of the Worlds graat City's.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I will never support dirty play by a team I root for. Its an embarrassment. If I see a player on Everton, or the Redskins, playing dirty, I call it out the same I would on another team.

I guess Liverpool fans not only are okay with it, but support it if the player is any good.

I have made my stance pretty clear on the Suarez matter. I don't remember you posting about what a dirty player Fellaini is and how the 3 match ban for looking around to make sure he didn't get caught followed by a vicious headbutt to the face of an opponent wasn't nearly enough. I guess I missed that...

Ancelotti supposed to leave PSG to sign with Real Madrid, Arsene to meet with the Qataris for the job. As much as I like the man it would be a big mistake, Arsene always failed to win a major european title.

Edited by FrFan

Ancelotti supposed to leave PSG to sign with Real Madrid, Arsene to meet with the Qataris for the job. As much as I like the man it would be a big mistake, Arsene always failed to win a major european title.

I think Arsene is a helluva manager. He's able to get the most out of an underwhelming group of players. Villas Boas with the best player, arguably, in the EPL this year may not finish ahead. When he's had world class players, he's had really good teams as well. His problem is that he's too principled both in player acquisition and on the pitch. He won't overspend, which is good but you miss out on talent as well.

Plus, Arsene's hayday coincided strongly with the peak of French football—he had an inside track to the top French Footballers, who also happened to be some of the best in the world at the time. Now he's got who? Giroud? Sagna? Even Nasri isn't a lock for Les Bleus. Now like everyone else, he goes to Spain and Germany for talent. He isn't even pulling much out of Francophone Africa these days.

If he's given talent, he'll win trophies.

But I wonder if he will leave. He built Arsenal for the future, new stadium, new high-tech training facility, etc.

I have made my stance pretty clear on the Suarez matter. I don't remember you posting about what a dirty player Fellaini is and how the 3 match ban for looking around to make sure he didn't get caught followed by a vicious headbutt to the face of an opponent wasn't nearly enough. I guess I missed that...

Saurez was brought up in this thread, Fellaini was not so I didnt mention it. Most of my soccer discussion is in the real world, where I have talked about it.

I will never defend dirty play. Headbutting someone is dirty play. I think the bans for some of these plays needs to be higher to teach players a lesson, and I feel the same way about any Everton player trying to injure someone. Is has no place in sports. I have ALWAYS been consistent about that, so please dont try to imply anything else.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

No question the player himself is to blame for Sunday. He's his own worst enemy and as World class a talent as he is I have some serious reservations as to what's more prudent from the club to do as regards his future that's had me in a lot of heated debates the past few days with friends and work colleagues.

But I won't not stand up for him against the vindictive witch-hunt against him that has gone on from day one in this Country, culminating in some outrageously unfair treatment when he does transgress.

As his manager said earlier, he needs helping along with being punished. For the FA to turn around before an Independent Panel sat and suggest the normal 3 games would be nowhere near enough is prejudice to the player and process in itself. To then have the panel treat him totally different to anyone else with a 10 game ban is nothing short of victimisation. Rodgers 6 game ban, 6 game suspended suggestion whilst he gets help to control that anger would of been perfect and nobody would of complained. He was childish, embarrassing and totally in the wrong. No debate there.

But there is when there's one punishment for Luis Suarez. And one for everyone else.

Hail.

*I'll get back to you OB on you're question later. Now I need to eat dinner.

Fair enough, I apologize as I have misunderstood your position.

Now to the really important stuff: Caxirola: spare us the sound of the 2014 Brazil World Cup

If you thought vuvuzelas were bad, wait until you hear the caxirola – small a yellow and green piece of recycled plastic brought to us by the Brazilian Ministry of Sport.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2013/apr/25/the-official-instrument-of-the-2014-world-cup-video

Click on the link for more