Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I am not trying to agitate, but what is going on with DC United?

This is ren and the problem is they have no legit striker on the field and they really miss Andy Najar's offensive mindedness and speed on the wing. Also Pontius and DeRosario took a huge step back from last year. Just overall the offense is not working and the problem is spreading to the D now. All the while Olsen refuses to make any changes.

Edited by renaissance

This is ren and the problem is they have no legit striker on the field and they really miss Andy Najar's offensive mindedness and speed on the wing. Also Pontius and DeRosario took a huge step back from last year. Just overall the offense is not working and the problem is spreading to the D now. All the while Olsen refuses to make any changes.

I was hoping Pontius would take the next step in his career and get some run with the National team. I guess that may not happen now. I expected DeRosario to take a step back because of his age. DC United never seems to be in the conversation when it comes to big name players returning to or joining MLS. It seems that Hercules Gomez or Robbie Rodgers would help some of the team's offensive woes, but DC isn't even mentioned as a possible destination. How does that work?

Stupid question but is this the same Leonardo that fractured Tab Ramos' skull in the 94 World Cup?

Nevermind, IT IS the same Leonardo.

He just tried to do it on the ref in the tunnel leading to the locker rooms yesterday. (Granted Thiago Silva didn't deserve the red). ;)

Edited by FrFan

What a depressingly dreadfull derby.

Passionless. Flat. Even the atmosphere was muted in the hot sun. Really thought we'd lick the blues today but we didn't have the desire to lick a stamp. And Everton were no better with little intent to play football. Sturbridge missed a sitter, in an all round terrible, lazy game from him. I'm tempted to say L'pool should of had two penalty's. The one first half down the other end of the ground on Sturridge was hard to say. Fellaini's looked a handball Kop end secon half, but in truth neither team deserved to win. VERY poor advertisement for Merseyside football.

Loved the 'loveable' blues and their irony at the end ..... 'Looking down on the red s***** ' indeed. Pity yers still 18 years and counting since yers last silverware huh? David Moyes- ZERO trophys. 1 Champs league qualifier- Lost. 1 Europa League qualifier- Lost 5-0. Football genius! But hey, you achieved your aim of finishing above L'pool so happy wanking over that in yers Kirkby hovels tonight.

Enjoy the one and done Euro adventure this summer MisterP. ;)

Hail.

Yeah that was a pretty disappointing game. Oh well. I do appreciate your angst at finishing below Everton and out of a european spot. I did tell you not to get your hopes up. :-P

Everton's goal was much higher, finishing in the top 4. I dont live in Liverpool, but I know I was more concerned with that than were Liverpool was going to finish. Though I already figured it would be below us, so maybe thats why I didnt give them much thought. :pfft:

I am pretty frustrated with the way the season turned out. The odds are high that we make the Europa league as I would assume Man City will beat Wigan, but doesnt feel like a victory. We were in contention most of the year to push for a top 4 finish, but played flat the last couple of months most of the time and dropped a lot of points. Very disappointing to have to rely on another club to get to europe.

Everton will need to play more conistently to have an impact in European play. Im also hopeful that we might now have a little extra money to improve the squad. Looking forward to next year.

DCU problems- No true striker and the new management (remember the new owners cleaned house on the off season) won't invest major in the team itself until a new stadium happens. Guarantee it. So the team will probably stay bad until then. Oh and yes Olsen lack of changes.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

We might well be joining you yet MisterP.

The irony of all irony's after the Suarez 'bite' is Liverpool are still in pole position for a Europa League spot through the fair play league. We're third in England behind Arsenal and Tottenham, who will be in through their league position. The only stumbling block is the last time UEFA put every Country's table out, Finland, Norway and Sweden we're in front of England. (The top 'cleanest' Country's get the three additional Europa League 'fair play' slots.).

Liverpool in Europe through the fair play route after everything just amuses the living **** out of me.

We'd start in the first qualifying round of course, which means a ridiculous season start of June. But meh, this club is ALL about European football so I'll take that in a heartbeat. The other irony on that is Suarez would potentially play anything upto 9 competitive European games before his domestic ban is up. So he'd be fully match fit and raring to go for the EPL.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Fergie was a good gaffer for United. Happy trails to him

---------- Post added May-8th-2013 at 06:50 AM ----------

I fail to see why anyone should criticize a legend such as Ferguson. He was a good gaffer as I said before.

One criticism

It would be heartening to contemplate such an extraordinary career without major reservations. There's so much to admire about Ferguson's management, the willingness to give young players opportunity; the commitment to attacking, passing, imaginative football played with width, depth and pace; the resilience and the work ethic that has remained as players have come and gone; the passion for winning that has allowed him to plough on for so long without slackening. While he was arrogant in some ways, he was rarely if ever guilty of underestimating opponents or football's capacity for surprise. But I defy anyone to watch him at his worst, berating referees, linesmen and journalists whose only crime is not to distort reality to suit his prejudices, and not want to spit. Once upon a time Alex Ferguson was an active trade unionist, and would presumably have railed against the idea of a millionaire throwing his weight around in order to have his way. Sport, the sentimentalists will tell you, is a vehicle for the best in humanity.

Man-management always seemed to be his greatest strength rather than tactics. Lest we forget, his record in World Cups (without money, cowed officials or a sycophantic FA to grease the wheels for him) is played three, won none. Whilst there were mitigating circumstances, one of those games was against opponents who were down to ten men for 89 minutes. So maybe the explanation for his proneness to intimidate is a degree of self-doubt about his own strategic talents. Two European Cups is not to be sniffed at, yet his career in that competition contains a notable number of disappointments.

The belief that anything is justifiable as long as you win poisons football, and on that score Ferguson is as guilty as anyone. Other managers have won big with far more dignity, Matt Busby for starters, and without the foundations laid down by that great manager Ferguson would never have found himself in a position to knock Liverpool off their perch.

I've never seen Alex do anything classless. Ever.

I've never seen Alex do anything classless. Ever.

Then you were just not watching - he was a terrible loser (part of what made him great) and that came through in how he reacted after defeats. Truly great manager mind you, what he achieved was genuinely extraordinary.

SAF definitely hated losing and you could see it everytime Utd did. Having said that he handled it impressively especially the title loss last year when he smirked it off and told the team to go thank the fans. He definitely had his bitter moments after losing but his hatred of losing made him better. Great managers had losing but usually they are some of the worst at dealing with when they do.

Ben Foster put the pressure to win at United best a few seasons ago. He openly admitted he couldn't hack it in that environment. He said that a draw was absolutely unacceptable, that Ferguson would go nuclear if they drew a match. I guess much more so for GKs since they went through a somewhat revolving door between Schmeichel and Van Der Sar.

In many ways, Ferguson highlights how I feel that tactics are overrated. Have width, keep the speed of play high, have great finishers, and great goalkeeping<---I think that's been his model. There are other ways to win at soccer, but you just have to get your system and get the players in it to work. There was a time when United where superior talent wise, but I don't think that's been the case for the past decade(?). Bar a few years with Cristiano Ronaldo, I'm hard pressed to think of a superstar lineup. He's made it work with solid players at the core, not stars.

Refusing opposing mangers handshakes. Being a graceless winner. Never mind classless loser. Banning BBC radio journalists in a long lasting vendetta from Old Trafford because they had the gall to criticise a poor Utd performance. A tawdry vendetta that spilled over into him going years with refusing to speak to the BBC MOTD after game interviews, instead sending his assistant or some other member of staff out. Constant bullying tactics to the FA and Premier League to make sure he constantly got his own way for his club. Putting ridiculous, constant pressure on match officials to the point they run scared of him. Particularly in games in Manchester, Forging a siege mentality that turned Manchester United into the most hated club in the land. Not because they've dominated the past two decades. But because they've been pretty darn classless from the manager on down 9 times out of 10. (Unless it benefited him to praise someone.). Taking a **** at the side of a busy road because he couldn't wait to get home to the bathroom.

And that's not even scratching the surface. Yeah, REAL classy dude.

Great manager no question. Up there with Paisley in the GOAT stakes. But let's not do a history re-write on Ferguson the man.

Hail.

Refusing opposing mangers handshakes. Being a graceless winner. Never mind classless loser. Banning BBC radio journalists in a long lasting vendetta from Old Trafford because they had the gall to criticise a poor Utd performance. A tawdry vendetta that spilled over into him going years with refusing to speak to the BBC MOTD after game interviews, instead sending his assistant or some other member of staff out. Constant bullying tactics to the FA and Premier League to make sure he constantly got his own way for his club. Putting ridiculous, constant pressure on match officials to the point they run scared of him. Particularly in games in Manchester, Forging a siege mentality that turned Manchester United into the most hated club in the land. Not because they've dominated the past two decades. But because they've been pretty darn classless from the manager on down 9 times out of 10. (Unless it benefited him to praise someone.). Taking a **** at the side of a busy road because he couldn't wait to get home to the bathroom.

And that's not even scratching the surface. Yeah, REAL classy dude.

Great manager no question. Up there with Paisley in the GOAT stakes. But let's not do a history re-write on Ferguson the man.

Hail.

Get it all out your system GHH?

---------- Post added May-8th-2013 at 08:42 AM ----------

I am not sure how many people actually watch soccer on this website though. My eyes are glued to bein sport haha unless there is football on.

Sadly I don't have BEIN so I watch through PS3 stream online (Barca) or FSC (Man Utd). I have to watch Dortmund strictly online.

Get it all out your system GHH?

Seriously man, I have the utmost respect for what he's achieved on the pitch both sides of the border. His record is phenomenal. Regardless of era or circumstance.

But the very last thing he's been is 'classy.' Unless it worked to his benefit that is.

Hail.

David Moyes- ZERO trophy's in 11 seasons. 2 European qualifiers. Both lost in the SAME season. In TWO different competitions. The latter 5-0. ZERO European games outside of the aforementioned 2 screwed up qualifiers. And a whopping ONE domestic final through the duration. Lost.

David Moyes- Football Genius.

David Moyes- New Manchester United manager following a living legend. Bringing a trophy filled CV to the tab ..... Ahhhhhh, spoted the flaw here.

Too good for Everton. Nowhere NEAR good enough for United. Total win-win for a Liverpool supporter. Our two greatest rivals screwed over in one move.

I would write more but I can't stop laughing. Great day to be a Liverpudlian.

Hail.

*Edit* 6 year contract. This just gets funnier and funnier.