Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Earlier this year, Johnson was viciously criticized on social media after he repeatedly mispronounced Barcelona midfielder Andrés Iniesta’s name in a match (as EE-ya-nesta), and he takes responsibility for the misstep. If anything, it has motivated him to work harder as he readies himself to call a game that is the rough equivalent of soccer’s Super Bowl, if the Super Bowl routinely featured players with multiple Z’s, umlauts and diereses in their names.

As the reviews should be.  Johnson has been horrendous in the few matches he has covered.  The only good thing coming from NBC taking over EPL and other soccer coverage is that means less matches that covered by Gus.

Lol. Great chemistry. Must profess I'm not that clued in on Darke, but Stevie's just a typical, laid back Scouser that doesn't take himself seriously at all, has a great SOH, and likes a good laugh. And boy could he play .....

As for Saturday's European Cup Final (8 years ago Saturday I was in Istanbul for the greatest sporting day of my life. Man, if I never see another game again in my life the memory's of May 25, 2005 will sustain me forever. Couldn't of scripted that any better if you tried. But enough of that before I fill a page up with that day, lol); congratulations to Bayern on joining Liverpool, Madrid and Milan in actually owning a European Cup with a magnificent 5th. I really wanted Dortmund to win to stop them achieving that, but props to them for it. Absolute privilege to watch such a great game of end-to-end, fast, great soccer. Munich probably just about edged it at the end of the day, but man were they lucky not to end up with 9 men. Ribbery should of been straight off for the elbow (and when has he ever really taken charge of a game for all the hype? Certainly not a big one as far as I can recall. One of many totally overrated modern day players); and Dante should of had a second yellow for the penalty assault. Some great 'keeping. Some shocking misses from the big Pole and Robben, And then a great take by Robben to win it. (Although the less said about Dortmund's woeful attempt at defending him the better.). 

Why couldn't Bayern have done that last year instead of completely choking in their own final? Talking of completely bottling it, I wouldn't show my face in Dortmund ever again if I was Mario Gotze. Biggest game of your life, biggest game in soccer by far, club or International; and you can't push yourself to get back a month or so removed from a hammy? Still injured my pasty white ass! He **** out more like being the game was against the club he's now joining. Gutless, ridiculous, and ultimately VERY costly to the club that for now still employ him. He ought to be ashamed. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Oh good Lord those awful Armani suits.  :(

That just summed up a horrid Cup Final day back in 1996. Liverpool and United were more scared of losing face to the other that the match was a complete non-event. IIRC Cantona's winner was the only shot on target in a putrid game. 

And if those dazzling white suits weren't a bad enough fashion faux pas, Johnny Barnes had these all white boots on that coupled with the white socks made him look like he had a pair of school pumps on his feet from way back when in Phys Ed class. 

Yeah, thank you SO much for the memory of that day ixcuincle man.  :angry: I even managed to get jibbed with a flat out 'Seriously?' when I spotted and tried to kop for Natalie Imbruglia on the tube after which I still haven't lived down. 

Hail. 

Lol. Great chemistry. Must profess I'm not that clued in on Darke, but Stevie's just a typical, laid back Scouser that doesn't take himself seriously at all, has a great SOH, and likes a good laugh. And boy could he play .....

As for Saturday's European Cup Final (8 years ago Saturday I was in Istanbul for the greatest sporting day of my life. Man, if I never see another game again in my life the memory's of May 25, 2005 will sustain me forever. Couldn't of scripted that any better if you tried. But enough of that before I fill a page up with that day, lol); congratulations to Bayern on joining Liverpool, Madrid and Milan in actually owning a European Cup with a magnificent 5th. I really wanted Dortmund to win to stop them achieving that, but props to them for it. Absolute privilege to watch such a great game of end-to-end, fast, great soccer. Munich probably just about edged it at the end of the day, but man were they lucky not to end up with 9 men. Ribbery should of been straight off for the elbow (and when has he ever really taken charge of a game for all the hype? Certainly not a big one as far as I can recall. One of many totally overrated modern day players); and Dante should of had a second yellow for the penalty assault. Some great 'keeping. Some shocking misses from the big Pole and Robben, And then a great take by Robben to win it. (Although the less said about Dortmund's woeful attempt at defending him the better.). 

Why couldn't Bayern have done that last year instead of completely choking in their own final? Talking of completely bottling it, I wouldn't show my face in Dortmund ever again if I was Mario Gotze. Biggest game of your life, biggest game in soccer by far, club or International; and you can't push yourself to get back a month or so removed from a hammy? Still injured my pasty white ass! He **** out more like being the game was against the club he's now joining. Gutless, ridiculous, and ultimately VERY costly to the club that for now still employ him. He ought to be ashamed. 

Hail. 

I won't speak on Gotze.  Every Dortmund person knows what he did.  He came up through their system and basically made his entire life at Dortmund.  All the time they spent on him to make him the player he is today.  That's how he reward them.  Abandoning. 

Horrible ending to watch for a Dortmund person.  I did take the high road with my Bayern friend and congratulated him though he didn't say anything back.  When he proceeded to rub the Gotze thing in on facebook(picture with if you can't beat em join em junk)  I pointed out some flaws in his theory. 1) Dortmund has been Bayern plenty including a 5-2 beat down last year for the german cup 2)  Gotze didn't duck out due to losing to Bayern but rather then ridiculous amounts Bayern throws around.  3)  Bayern only messes with teams that are threats to its status in Bundesliga. Dortmund has consistently been right with them especially now so they target the key players on Dortmund.  You think its coindence they go after the key players on teams that give them trouble?  They bring down the entire league when they do it though.  That's why I generally find Premier league more entertaining.  One team can't become a absolutely monopoly over the others. 

Monaco is building a powerhouse with the signings of Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, Radamel Falcao and Victor Valdés on their way. They are also targeting three players from Real Madrid: Ricardo Carvalho, Angel Di Maria and Fabio Coentrao. A russian godzillionaire and No Income Tax for foreigners are really helping :).

Edited by FrFan

Monaco is building a powerhouse with the signings of Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, Radamel Falcao and Victor Valdés on their way. They are also targeting three players from Real Madrid: Ricardo Carvalho, Angel Di Maria and Fabio Coentrao. A russian godzillionaire and No Income Tax for foreigners are really helping :).

valdes is merely a name, he is without question one of the top 3 most overrated players in the world

I may die of laughing.  DCU fans celebrated with fireworks, flares, and smoke bombs after beating the Kickers on PKs.  This was after two DCU players were red carded right before PKs for dangerous plays to prevent a Kicker's scoring chance.  The kicker fan inside of me is rolling around laughing.  The Screaming Eagle inside of me is crying that MLS teams beating USLs warrants all out celebration(You know things have gotten bad when that happens).  I don't even see fireworks at regular United games LOL.

Note I find it funny though half the DCU fans there are actually from Richmond rooting against the Kickers.  Kind of sad in way but seeing as 6,000+ plus come for the Kickers when they play its not a big issues.  Just kind of weird to root against where you are from. I do wish the DCU fans who come stop stinking bombing the heck out of the place everytime.  It is the Kickers stadium.  I've traveled on away trips with DCU supporters many times and I know the supporters don't out of their way to trash opposing stadiums.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Kolo Toure' to Liverpool. Temporary solution for Carra. Not a bad move.

I was hoping that was pure media speculation but now it's official I beg to disagree on it being not a bad move man. 

32 year old druggie with constant weight issues who's hardly played over the last 24 months. And one who'll be on a VERY hefty contract. First panic buy of the Rodgers era. Made even more bizarre as it goes against the profile of youth FSG have set about building. I think that is the final nail in Skrtels coffin now too. 

Bad start to the summer. 

Hail. 

They're using flares there because they're not allowed to use them anywhere else, and they act like that because they know it grates on your nerves.

Also, the Kickers logo is awful.

It doesn't grates on my nerves.  I made me laugh.  Celebrating beating a USL team on PKs.  It's fact that DCU wouldn't win last night without penalities.  They were falling apart(down two men) and those desperate tackles that got red cards are evidence of that.  Irony is DCU took Kickers goalkeeper from them before this game which is the one that saved DCU last night.  I'm just saying its hilarious to celebrate a victory over a USL team with fireworks, flares, smoke bombs,etc.  Now as far as stink bombs that doesn't grates my nerves but that's just a jackass thing to do in a opposing stadium.  If someones wants to trash their own stadium that's one thing but trash a opposing stadium embarrasses the fanbase (I say this as a Screaming Eagle). 

DCU didn't take the Kickers goalkeeper. Dykstra and Willis are both on United's roster.

If you have such an issue with how the opposing fans act you should really take it up with the security at City Stadium. You complained about the same issue last year. If it really is a problem, it's easily solved by not allowing stink bombs in the stadium. People acted a fool at RFK and now we're not allowed to have any kind of flares, etc there.

The fact is you know 1) United sucks this year so people are going to act stupid, and 2) the fans that show up to these early round Open Cup games are not representative of the fanbase as a whole. Smaller crowds do little to hide the jackasses who may otherwise go unnoticed at RFK.

DCU didn't take the Kickers goalkeeper. Dykstra and Willis are both on United's roster.

If you have such an issue with how the opposing fans act you should really take it up with the security at City Stadium. You complained about the same issue last year. If it really is a problem, it's easily solved by not allowing stink bombs in the stadium. People acted a fool at RFK and now we're not allowed to have any kind of flares, etc there.

The fact is you know 1) United sucks this year so people are going to act stupid, and 2) the fans that show up to these early round Open Cup games are not representative of the fanbase as a whole. Smaller crowds do little to hide the jackasses who may otherwise go unnoticed at RFK.

Willis usually the goalkeeper for the Kickers.  He was one of the first sent here from United on the agreement.  If you don't believe me ask a few from the DCU board.  Most there believe United taking Willis back from the Kickers prior to the game was the reason they won. (Then again it seemed like quite a few wanted DCU to lose to send a message to the front office)

I take issue with the trashing City Stadium for two reason:

1)  Is not cool trashing a opposing stadium no matter the circumstances. 

2)  As I mentioned before a bunch of them are ones from Richmond( I do know some were from Nova though).  Now I ain't gonna get into a discussion rooting against your own city and all that but to trash your city's soccer clubs stadium. Well that's just lame.  Obviously that's not on the supporters from DC.  I guess I take issue with ones that go to root against their city and trash the stadium of the city they're from.  It would be like guys from manchester going to Old Trafford, rooting for Liverpool, and then messing the place up.  (Relax GHH I'm not saying that's what Liverpool fans do. :lol: )

Those Richmond DCU fans that do that always say they don't have any interest of watching Kickers games but I can tell you why.  They can get their beer(we have a bar) and everything else they get at RFK.  Even more so since we have quite good concession stands.  But they wreck the place every year which cause those fans to be disliked because they are from Richmond and everyone knows it.  Last night Kicker fans broke into a song about this is your city too and how you only drove 5 mins to get here.  Think about it.  How many DCU fans are gonna come to Richmond on a Tuesday night USOC game when the team is as bad as it is?  If RFK stadium is any indication I'd say not many.

I already don't like Moyes. He's already trying to lure Cesc to Old Trafford. Grrr. If he's going anywhere, he needs to go back to the Emirates.

Yeah. His hometown, boyhood club in an awesome City at an awesome football club ..... Or grey, glum Manchester at a club going forward with a complete novice at this level and with this caliber of player, trying to follow in the footsteps of a living legend. 

That born and bred Catalan will be staying in Catalonia. 

Man it's going to be a nuts summer of speculation with no major International tournament to distract. (The pre-WC half baked kick about aside.). 

Hail.