Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

oh no, a Barca fan haha. I am Real Madrid, Juve, PSG, and Man City. But I do like Dortmund

uh oh Man City person lol. I don't think we had any here. Atleast none posted when they won the league last year. Ronaldo will always be a Man Utd legend to me(still walk around in Ronaldo Man utd jerseys lol) but loyalty can't carry over to Real Madrid. French and Italian I don't pay too much attention to though I follow AC Milan alittle occasionally. Dortmund was combination of the colors, fans, and someone here suggesting I watch alittle bit of them. Plus my Bayern friend bragging about great players they take from everyone made me want to support another German team that would beat them down. If nothing else I bring up PKs to him and he stares a hole through my head.

As far as Barca thats been recent too. I played with some spanish guys the last few years who showed me the tiki taka style. Lucky for me I'm a finisher mainly so the movement is easier for me. But it's amazing the opportunities I got from that style. I started to really appreciate Barca's style. Sad how the style has come to rely on one player so much though. Plus I went to see Man Utd and Barcalona a few years ago in DC after Champions Final game (got a couple of free tickets from a soccer coach I helped at VCU). So awesome to see the skill and playing styles clash.

But yeah if there's something Man Utd going on someone will usually put my SN in the post since that's I been following them forever.

---------- Post added May-9th-2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

So, how many more games does DC United have to lose before Olsen get the ax? 1-7-1? Pathetic.

I don't even want to talk about that. I tuned in to see 0-2 and went back to the Caps game. 0-4 is just unacceptable at home.

So, how many more games does DC United have to lose before Olsen get the ax? 1-7-1? Pathetic.

It's painful to watch them try to play. Ben has not been able to motivate this team or nail down an effective lineup. When you get to 4-5 losses you should be making changes to the starting lineup. When you cannot execute passes or put the ball in the net, you should be on the bench.

Right now we have 0 midfield play, we have no attack on the wings, and our defense is consistently getting beat.

And why the **** do we continue to pick up DPs if they are not going to start (Bronko and Salihi last year and Rafael this year)?

Also I have two major pet peeves with professional soccer - 1) There is absolutely no excuse for a PK not to be on goal, and 2) There is absolutely no excuse for a corner kick not to make it in front of the goal.

#2 continues to be an issue for DCU. It's embarrassing how bad some of our corners (and free kicks) are. Going directly to the wall or the first defender, or sailing straight to the other side of the 18 where we don't have anyone in position. I do not understand how any professional soccer player can fail to execute these plays so consistently.

I'll never understand that either ren from a professional player. It's only like your darn JOB!

Two more bug bares of mine are one footed players and shots skyed way over the bar. I mean one footed players to the extent their weak foot is literally just for standing on. You can't take the time to put the extra work in even after training on your weaker foot? Seriously? Not like your day is full or anything. Geez. And when a professional can't get his knee over the ball to keep it down and leans back and sky's it I despair. Basic fundamentals a 9 year old should have.

Seriously makes you wonder if they even train/ practice most of the time.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

David Moyes- ZERO trophy's in 11 seasons. 2 European qualifiers. Both lost in the SAME season. In TWO different competitions. The latter 5-0. ZERO European games outside of the aforementioned 2 screwed up qualifiers. And a whopping ONE domestic final through the duration. Lost.

David Moyes- Football Genius.

David Moyes- New Manchester United manager following a living legend. Bringing a trophy filled CV to the tab ..... Ahhhhhh, spoted the flaw here.

Too good for Everton. Nowhere NEAR good enough for United. Total win-win for a Liverpool supporter. Our two greatest rivals screwed over in one move.

I would write more but I can't stop laughing. Great day to be a Liverpudlian.

Hail.

*Edit* 6 year contract. This just gets funnier and funnier.

Keep laughing funny man. You know what they say about he who laughs last.

Keep laughing funny man. You know what they say about he who laughs last.

Keep deluding yourself into thinking this is a step toward continuity.

COMPLETELY different animal to what he was at, at Everton. COMPLETELY different set of ego's to contain. Ferguson commanded respect for what he'd done both prior to going to Utd and through his time there. Moyes. Not so much ..... Moyes bollocking RVP ..... 'And WTF have YOU ever done in the game boss? Where TF have you ever played? ..... you get the picture.

How one of the biggest sporting organisations on the planet jumps head first into someone with so empty a CV, who's got absolutely ZERO experience of managing this caliber of player at this level is utterly beyond me, Klopp I'd of hated. He's building up a fine reputation. Mourinho would of been a disaster. Mourinho in that set up would win 10 straight titles. But United say nah, we'll go with the man with zero trophy's or experience at this level and think he'll get the respect from our players. All with no Gill there to oversee a man who's never had money to spend, trying to figure out what to do with it at this end of the market.

Yup, I have little doubt I'll be laughing long over this. ;)

Hail.

How did United decline this fast after going to the Eastern Conference finals last year?

We lost Andy Najar in the offseason. DeLeon, who should be able to pick up some of Andy's slack, has been injured this year.

We gave away two of our top goal scorers (Santos and Salihi) in the offseason while the two remaining (Pontius and DeRo) have been worthless this year.

We can't get a steady midfield play going. Our defense has turned in to poop.

Beyond losing players I can only surmise that it's a coaching issue and that Ben got really lucky last year.

Keep deluding yourself into thinking this is a step toward continuity.

COMPLETELY different animal to what he was at, at Everton. COMPLETELY different set of ego's to contain. Ferguson commanded respect for what he'd done both prior to going to Utd and through his time there. Moyes. Not so much ..... Moyes bollocking RVP ..... 'And WTF have YOU ever done in the game boss? Where TF have you ever played? ..... you get the picture.

How one of the biggest sporting organisations on the planet jumps head first into someone with so empty a CV, who's got absolutely ZERO experience of managing this caliber of player at this level is utterly beyond me, Klopp I'd of hated. He's building up a fine reputation. Mourinho would of been a disaster. Mourinho in that set up would win 10 straight titles. But United say nah, we'll go with the man with zero trophy's or experience at this level and think he'll get the respect from our players. All with no Gill there to oversee a man who's never had money to spend, trying to figure out what to do with it at this end of the market.

Yup, I have little doubt I'll be laughing long over this. ;)

Hail.

We already knew Mourinho would go to Chelsea. You know that place Torres won his Champions League Cup. ;)

We already knew Mourinho would go to Chelsea. You know that place Torres won his Champions League Cup. ;)

Talking of which .....

Your greatest ever season, '99. That Champions League you won against Munich in Barcelona. The one that completed the treble .....

We OWN that. It's in OUR trophy room for EVER. Come to a real big club and see it one day. ;)

Some clubs merely win European Cups. Big clubs not only win European Cups but retain them the year after. (Yeah, what happened at Utd with that?). GREAT clubs not only win and retain the trophy the following season, they win it enough times to actually OWN it. :cool:

Yup, still :ols:

Hail.

Talking of which .....

Your greatest ever season, '99. That Champions League you won against Munich in Barcelona. The one that completed the treble .....

We OWN that. It's in OUR trophy room for EVER. Come to a real big club and see it one day. ;)

Some clubs merely win European Cups. Big clubs not only win European Cups but retain them the year after. (Yeah, what happened at Utd with that?). GREAT clubs not only win and retain the trophy the following season, they win it enough times to actually OWN it. :cool:

Yup, still :ols:

Hail.

Better keep holding onto those Cups. You don't see many important ones nowadays. Which makes the Moyes comments funnier. Besides who needs to own a Cup when you can just win it every year so you get to keep it? :cool: Sad thing is our noisey neighbors have been making more noise than Liverpool. Perhaps next year you can get up in the top 5 and make a push for the title? Or perhaps qualify for european competition through some other way than the Fair Play deal? I mean jeez even Tottenham has been making a European push. ;)

Better keep holding onto those Cups. You don't see many important ones nowadays......

4 European trophys to your 2 in the 2000's. Recent enough for ya'?

Or where you talking League titles? Let's see. You've dominated the past two decades, winning 13 Championships. Yet only last year did you surpass Liverpool who have not won the league since '91. Man, just how bad were Utd in the 100 years or so before the Premiership money?

I like the trophy game. This is fun. :cool:

Hail.

*Edit* I'd take note of the above too. Utd's cycle is ending. Moyes doesn't do silverware. ;)

4 European trophys to your 2 in the 2000's. Recent enough for ya'?

Or where you talking League titles? Let's see. You've dominated the past two decades, winning 13 Championships. Yet only last year did you surpass Liverpool who have not won the league since '91. Man, just how bad were Utd in the 100 years or so before the Premiership money?

I like the trophy game. This is fun. :cool:

Hail.

*Edit* I'd take note of the above too. Utd's cycle is ending. Moyes doesn't do silverware. ;)

I'd say its more sad that a club such as Liverpool has not won the league in over 20 years (or even been in contention for title as recently). But not as sad as when Moyes starts bringing in trophies and the Liverpool supporters watch their rival's former manager collecting silverware.

Eleseer:

I presume you mean the article about Ferguson looming large over Moyes ala Busby and his successor?

Yeah, that could be a major issue right there. Back when Kenny stepped into the breach at Liverpool in '85 after Heysel, he still had Paisley in the background to lean on when he needed him. But Bob was just that. In the background. He always was an intolerably humble man ala Coach Gibbs who shunned the limelight. Probably a major reason why his phenomenal record gets overlooked today. Ferguson can't help but be in the limelight. I'll be shocked if his presence isn't more of an interference to Moyes than a help. When Paisley took over from Shankly, Bill was still going down the training ground (because he was just nuts about football and being around football people); and the players were calling him 'boss' still and Bob 'Bob.' The club ended up having to ask Shanks to stop going to Melwood which caused a bit of unpleasant bitterness so he went to watch Everton training everyday. Ferguson hanging around United's training ground won't be clever.

Richmond:

I wouldn't laugh too hard at Citeh's loss. The Wigan manager now has more trophys to his name than the new United manager. ;)

bsf:

Awesome finish to that game yesterday. And absolutely made up for Watford given how the final day transpired to deprive them. Really pulling for them to go up. Always loved Zola. Real genuine, humble guy and one heck of a talented lil' dude in his playing days.

Good luck Bradford City too next Saturday. After the wonderful but ultimately fruitless league cup run, promotion would be a perfect finish to the story of this season.

Me:

Utterly gutted at Finland, Norway and Sweden getting the UEFA fair play places for the Europa League. No European football for a club that is ALL about Europe. Gona' be a LONG season with no Euro trips. (That friendly in August against Celtic in Dublin can't come quickly enough.).

There can be NO excuses for BR now next year. With no European distractions, the top 4 is a must.

Hail.

*Edit* And was that the final nail in Shrek's Utd coffin yesterday? Dropped by his own request from the squad. Transfer request in. Not on friendly terms with Moyes. The conspiracy rumbles .....

Richmond:

I wouldn't laugh too hard at Citeh's loss. The Wigan manager now has more trophys to his name than the new United manager. ;)

I'll laugh as much as I want and they will like it. Just means our manager truly comes with a fresh start. A certain manager is definitely gonna be on the hot seat after the way that final went though.Going from Hero last year to Zero.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1446051/chelsea-captain-john-terry-injury-doubt-europa-league-final?cc=5901

Terry doubtful for Europa League final

Need Terry 26 out there.

john_terry2_1635687c.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/13/frank-lampard-john-terry-europa-league-final

Chelsea are increasingly resigned to being without John Terry ... for Wednesday's Europa League final ... Frank Lampard could feature against Benfica and even captain the side in Amsterdam.

Sorry Monk man. I respect the heck out of your football analysis on here. You're one of my favourite posters to read oft times Particularly when it comes to college prospects. We tend to mesh well on a lot of things gridiron. But I hope Chelsea get absolutely annihilated tomorrow evening by Benfica. (And all and every other game yers ever play for that matter. :pfft:).

We've always had a thing with Chelsea going way back. They've always been the London club (and Leeds aside, vice versa for a Northern club with them); we've hated the most. I've had some real fun and games around Chelsea/ Earls Court/ London Bridge over the years. By far and away the most bigoted, racist, nasty, horrible set of 'fans' in England in my experience. But that's probably best left alone on a family board. ;)

And to top it all off, chelsea, a club with little to no history before Russian money tipped up; could now become the first English side to win all three major European trophy's. Joining only Ajax, Bayern and Juve in the process. There's something inherently WRONG with that. :mad:

Hence to say:

COME ON BENFICA!

Hail.

*Edit* I won't get to see the game (the local theatre is showing the full film of Wings '75/'76 World tour which should be a classic blast); but I'm looking forward to the multitude of text updates of Benfica goals. :fingersx:

They don't - he is a shadow of the player he was. Pace was never his strong suit but now he is painfully slow and teams know if they can isolate him and play balls either side of him he turns like an oil tanker. Whoever the manager is for Chelsea next year finding a new quality centre half should be top of the to do list, Luiz is much better in midfield IMO.

Edited by MartinC