Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI.Com: Mark McGwire admits to using steroids

ECU-ALUM

McGwire apologizes to La Russa, Selig

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

During a 20-minute phone call with The AP on Monday, McGwire says he called commissioner Bud Selig and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa earlier in the day to personally apologize.

McGwire also used human growth hormone, a person close to McGwire said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McGwire didn't include that detail in his statement.

McGwire's decision to admit using steroids was prompted by his decision to become hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, his final big league team. La Russa, McGwire's manager in Oakland and St. Louis, has been among McGwire's biggest supporters and thinks returning to the field can restore the former slugger's reputation.

Article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

EDIT: ECU was a couple of minutes earlier on this, mods. Please merge.

La Russa, McGwire's manager in Oakland and St. Louis, has been among McGwire's biggest supporters and thinks returning to the field can restore the former slugger's reputation.

It won't restore a thing with this sports fan. That era killed baseball for me. I've never been back. To this day I assume that if you're really good at baseball, you're cheating.

Well that took him long enough to admit the obvious. Maybe he's hoping that by coming clean the Hall will vote him in eventually.

i doubt it. you need 75% of the vote to get in, he's having a hard time getting above 25%

i dont see that many converts coming over to his side

besides, home runs are really the only reason he would be in he hall. without the homerun totals, nothing stands out about his career in the majors

He did this for 2 reasons:

1. As the hitting coach of the Cardinals, if he didn't address this now, he'd never hear the end of it once the season started. Easier to get it out of the way now and not bad timing during the NFL playoffs so people will forget about it.

2. He know he'll never get a shot at the HoF unless he comes clean. Look how quickly people forgot about Giambi, Pettite, and A-Rod once they came clean. He figures people will be forgiving and now give him a pass since he came clean.

What? You mean it wasn't just Andro and healthy living?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

McGwire also used human growth hormone, a person close to McGwire said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McGwire didn't include that detail in his statement.

McGwire's decision to admit using steroids was prompted by his decision to become hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, his final big league team.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/11/mcgwire.steroids.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0cL6BzZHt

And the truth shall set you free...

Thank you, Mark, for finally admitting you took them. As more of your friends admit to it, MLB "might" gain back some credibility. If nothing else, your stats may lie, but at least your heart and mind is telling the truth.

Not a surprise, not a shock. Should be treated the same way as Bonds and all the rest. And I also wonder why he did this. The guy was much, much thinner in his rookie season, and hit 49 homeruns. You have to think that as thin as he was, it was less likely he was using at that time, and he still managed nearly 50 homers. Should have never touched the ****.

There wasn't testing for it back then so I never got outraged that it was used. I do applaud those that come out and admit use, though I feel that Bonds is way too stubborn to ever admit it.

Steinbrenner and TBS ruined baseball for me than steroids could.

Archived