Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI.Com: Mark McGwire admits to using steroids

ECU-ALUM

He wasn't afraid to lie to congress in 2005 but now that he is hitting coach he is afraid to lie to baseball writers? :hysterical:

Technically, he never lied to Congress. He basically said that he wasn't going to talk about the past. At any rate, he will never get in the HOF. Nor should he. And I hope Rose never gets in either. Can't believe so many people come to this guy's defense. In my eyes, what Rose did was much worse.

I heard this news this afternoon, and I recall the total lack of shock upon hearing this news, and in all fairness I think Mark should renounce any and all of his records even the temporary single season home-run record.

I hate roids and I hate that I cheered for Mark and Sammy as they roided their way to a homerun record.

Not a surprise, not a shock. Should be treated the same way as Bonds and all the rest. And I also wonder why he did this. The guy was much, much thinner in his rookie season, and hit 49 homeruns. You have to think that as thin as he was, it was less likely he was using at that time, and he still managed nearly 50 homers. Should have never touched the ****.

That's the really sad thing about him, and especially Barry Bonds, who was a HOF-level player for years prior to ever hitting the juice. At least, I'm assuming he started using in the late 90s, might be misremembering. Clemens is another who was of course a HOF pitcher by his natural ability and body. Such a shame.

For current players I hope like hell Pujols is clean. If he stays healthy and his body can last he could shatter a ton of career records. But after A-Rod it's hard to actually trust players' abilities anymore, even with the supposed heightened scrutiny!

**** him. Now he wants a job with the Cardinals he figures he better head off the usual questions? Selfish to the core, reprehensible and pathetic.

This was the guy who got pissed off that anyone had the audacity to question him, kept up his indignant act, lived his lies, and now wants to "come clean" just to further himself some more.

I repeat: **** him.

Baseball ought to ban him forever.

~Bang

He's still a lying cheat. "Health reasons?" Give me a break. The whole "health reasons" BS is tiresome. This chump has no place in baseball. I'm done with the whole sport. The systemic response to these clowns has turned me off big-time. I used to be a big fan, and the last decade has ruined a once-great game, for me.

**** him. Now he wants a job with the Cardinals he figures he better head off the usual questions? Selfish to the core, reprehensible and pathetic.

This was the guy who got pissed off that anyone had the audacity to question him, kept up his indignant act, lived his lies, and now wants to "come clean" just to further himself some more.

I repeat: **** him.

Baseball ought to ban him forever.

~Bang

So we should ban each one of them forever for coming clean and then continuing to play? No difference there as they only came clean to keep getting millions.... wouldn't hurt my feelin's either.

Dicky V just ripped McGwire apart! YES!

The more I see of his presser the more POed I get. Sniveling little *****. Now you cry. He jumped down peoples throats whenever they asked him about. "How dare you!" I think by not fessing up this long has hurt him worse. At least I hope it has. Tool bag. Go to ****.

I think he was 100% right in not saying anything to congress. Look what happened to everyone else up there with him. They all got in trouble for lying. Look at Palmeiro, he looked like a fool.

This isn't anyone's fault but Bud Selig's. He turned a blind eye to roid use all that time. What do you guys expect? Its sports. If theres a way to get an advantage, it will be used. Besides, the argument that he was a lesser player because of the juice is stupid. Look how many crappy players were juicing during that era. Hell, who wasn't juicing during that era?

The home run race saved baseball. I don't think steroid use is right, but don't jump all over Mark when everyone was doing it.

I have a few issues wit this. One being he did it. Two being that he lied for almost 10 years about it. Than after so long and lying for so long he finally comes clean.....sort of:doh:

I've heard a lot of sports gurus and pundits talking about what should be done. Most agree nothing. BS

he's a cheater. what could he have done without steriods? Who knows, but he cheated.

Should cheaters records be erased from the hall or should they be forgotten in regard to hall selection... YES!!!!!

Here's why. In life, when we cheat the normal outcome in most cases is we lose. When someone cheats on a test in school and they are found out, the test is thrown out and an F or 0 is given. they aren't told "I know you cheated, but we don't know if you got those good scores because you cheated or if you did it on your own, so since we don't know and it might taint everyone elses grades we will just reward you with the score you got and no other consequences"

the pundits have also stated that we don't know how many other cheaters there are in the hall. We can't destroy these records while not knowing who else cheated. WHAT!@!!

they are not destroying the hall or the records the cheaters are! This IMO is real easy. The ones you know about you revoke their status. You erase their record/records. The ones who aren't in, don't get in PERIOD!!

I don't care who knows what and if they could have done it without cheating, but they did, and none of what they did should be rewarded or even considered since they did cheat.

This isn't anyone's fault but Bud Selig's.

Well that's total crap. Sure the league didn't do enough but it was always against the rules to use roids, it was the fault of the players for cheating and killing the integrity of the game and it was the fault of the league for allowing it to happen, you CANNOT blame one side without blaming the other.

You're right the homerun race gave baseball a huge boost, but guess what? The after effects of the roid era have left a blemish on baseball that will take years to come out from under.

IMO;

The record for most career homeruns still belongs to Hank Aaron at 755.

And the single season homerun record still belongs to Roger Maris at 61.

The roider records need to be stricken from the record books.

If we found out that they used any other method of cheating to achieve these records they would have stricken their records roids are no different.

----------------------

I am just sad that I was duped into cheering for Mark Mcgwire when his #62 cleared the left field wall.

I think he was 100% right in not saying anything to congress. Look what happened to everyone else up there with him. They all got in trouble for lying. Look at Palmeiro, he looked like a fool.

This isn't anyone's fault but Bud Selig's. He turned a blind eye to roid use all that time. What do you guys expect? Its sports. If theres a way to get an advantage, it will be used. Besides, the argument that he was a lesser player because of the juice is stupid. Look how many crappy players were juicing during that era. Hell, who wasn't juicing during that era?

The home run race saved baseball. I don't think steroid use is right, but don't jump all over Mark when everyone was doing it.

It was the MLBPA's fault. They fought tooth and nail not to have any testing. The players that were clean should've fought hard to keep their names out of the mess. Instead they all pushed hard for no testing. There was nothing the managers, owners, etc. could have done. Selig's hands were tied since the MLBPA wouldn't budge on the subject. It wasn't until Congress got involved that it helped Selig make his case.

It was the MLBPA's fault. They fought tooth and nail not to have any testing. The players that were clean should've fought hard to keep their names out of the mess. Instead they all pushed hard for no testing. There was nothing the managers, owners, etc. could have done. Selig's hands were tied since the MLBPA wouldn't budge on the subject. It wasn't until Congress got involved that it helped Selig make his case.

Sure there was something that Selig could have done, he could have locked them out.

Archived