Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama says he won't smoke cigarettes in the White House: Chicago Tribune

TrumanB

Nah, that's on him. If he wants to be big tobacco's *****, that's on him :)

I post that stuff to get others fired up about quitting. But ultimately it's their decision, and I don't really judge others for smoking, because I used to do it myself.

By and large though, as a rule, most people who smoke nowadays have kind of given up on life. "Winners" who smoke are few and far between. I DO hold people accountable for that, at least those who want something from me (as is the case with a politician). But that's not the case with Obama, obviously.

And that's also not to say at all that smoking makes you a loser. Not true at all, just that most people who smoke nowadays happen to be in a position where they've checked out of the game of life, even if they don't realize it.

I know that's your point. A little harsh though, but I can certainly see plenty of truth in it.

BTW, didn't ol' Willie smoke a joint in the WH?

I would like to see him have a job in there.

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

Well done sir, well done.OLS

Anyway ontopic. Good for him, it's a bad habit imo. I mean you're just inhaling smoke.........I don't get it. Hopefully he'll quit.

You don't get thru a Presidential Election not having any willpower. That's just dumb.

Some of the most brilliant people I've ever met, or that have existed throughout history were smokers.

"If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go"

--Mark Twain

He proabably has Marlboro Menthol Lights. My question is though if the White House has a "No Smoking Zone", where can he light one up? He is the president. .

If you stand at the fence, you'll be able to see him on the South Portico, huddled against the cold and puffing away.

And that's also not to say at all that smoking makes you a loser. Not true at all, just that most people who smoke nowadays happen to be in a position where they've checked out of the game of life, even if they don't realize it.
Really? Lots of people at my college smoke. I'd say well over the national average of 12%. Maybe even double.

The ashtrays outside the engineering building are always full. I'm pretty sure us engineers haven't checked out of the game of life. If that were true, we wouldn't be busting our asses to simply check in to the game of life. ;)

Really? Lots of people at my college smoke. I'd say well over the national average of 12%. Maybe even double.

The ashtrays outside the engineering building are always full. I'm pretty sure us engineers haven't checked out of the game of life. If that were true, we wouldn't be busting our asses to simply check in to the game of life. ;)

I guess I was referring more to people a little older. When you're young you're invincible, and you don't always think about what you're doing to your body.

There is a big difference between a 19 year old college student who chain smokes and eats fast food 3x a day -vs- a 30 year old that does the same.

Can you imagine the nerve of a president smoking? Oh wait...

:secret: He did pretty good against the Russkies.

That was from the 40's. :doh:

Doesn't anyone find it odd and disturbing that in the year 2008 the soon-to-be president is addicted to cigarettes?

Doesn't anyone find it odd and disturbing that in the year 2008 the soon-to-be president is addicted to cigarettes?

I'm with you there buddy. The liberal media has been hiding this all year. Why didn't they bring it up during the election? A President who smokes? No one would vote for that. Next thing we're going to find out he did coke and other drugs.

no.

This thread along with the "If Obama really is a christian, shouldn't he hold a press conference to announce that he isn't Jesus?" thread are my two favorites. You sound like a whiny liberal *****

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

probably :rolleyes:

I do. And was surprised this wasn't brought up during the election (at least I didn't hear of it here or on any other news source).

Personally I think it shows a lack of character and judgment in this day and age to smoke. I lost my grandfather to lung cancer and don't see how people can rationally chose to do something that will kill you.

If you cannot handle your stresses through other healthy outlets I personally think it is very telling.

Next thing you know he's going to be taking smoke breaks during diplomatic meetings. You think other world leaders are going to respect us if our guy in charge puts a cigarette over them? He's not ready to lead.

The other diplomats are probibly wanting to smoke too, most of the world doesn't have the negitive look on tabacco as we do.

Archived