Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama says he won't smoke cigarettes in the White House: Chicago Tribune

TrumanB

I heard for the first time that Obama smokes about 2 weeks ago in an interview he did on ABC.

I almost fell on the floor. I had no idea- but then, I thought it was kind of cool in a way. It shows he's human. Because quite frankly, when you see someone who graduated Harvard Law School and has 2 perfect kids and a perfect wife and a perfect career and does everything perfectly, it makes you (a) want to puke and (B) wonder if he's even human.

Might sound bad, but I kind of like to know that my leaders have vices. Within certain paramaters of course. For instance, I'd be very dissapointed to learn he's a pothead. :)

I had a similar reaction, but I wasn't floored at Obama, I was floored that it was never mentioned before.

But in the end, it makes no difference... unless he adopts a preachy additude about public health, like he did about the tire inflation, and the 72 degree thing.

The other diplomats are probibly wanting to smoke too, most of the world doesn't have the negitive look on tabacco as we do.

Huh? Maybe most of the third world. Every civilized nation knows that the long-term effects of smoking kills. This is an indisputable fact.

LMFAO.

Have you really been living under a rock for the past 2 years?

This was well-known - and it was known early.

Oh, I knew. But read the reaction to the many posters in this thread that did not know. And I'm sure they are as informed as any other voter. The mainstream media (translation: left-wing liberal media) did not cover this like it should have been covered.

Oh, I knew. But read the reaction to the many posters in this thread that did not know. And I'm sure they are as informed as any other voter. The mainstream media (translation: left-wing liberal media) did not cover this like it should have been covered.

LMFAO.

You really come across as a sad, desperate individual. You give rational conservatives a bad name.

Well, all partisan hackery from both sides aside, I do wonder what kind of health effects this might cause.

Obama is middle aged-works 16-18 hours a day in probably the most stressful environment in the world- and he smokes. Not a good combo.

I hope he can quit for him and his family's sake. But at the end of the day that's his choice, and doesn't affect his ability to lead or govern.

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

I hope you stretched a little before reaching that far. Wouldnt want you to pull a muscle.

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

:rotflmao:

It was covered early on in the election cycle exactly how it should have been covered. And that is it was mentioned.

Just like in 2000 and 2004 the fact that Bush was an alcoholic was mentioned.

Honestly, how many people do you think would have not voted for Obama because he smokes??? I hate smoking, I knew about his nicotine habit back in January I think, and still voted for Obama twice.

You are coming off as really, REALLY whiny here...

It was covered early on in the election cycle exactly how it should have been covered. And that is it was mentioned.

Just like in 2000 and 2004 the fact that Bush was an alcoholic was mentioned.

Honestly, how many people do you think would have not voted for Obama because he smokes??? I hate smoking, I knew about his nicotine habit back in January I think, and still voted for Obama twice.

You are coming off as really, REALLY whiny here...

Mentioned? :doh: It was covered 24/7 for months that Bush HAD a drinking problem in the PAST.

Obama's CURRENT smoking problem was briefly mentioned. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

Mentioned? :doh: It was covered 24/7 for months that Bush HAD a drinking problem in the PAST.

Obama's CURRENT smoking problem was briefly mentioned. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

I'm a conservative. And no. It wasn't covered "24/7" for months.

24/7 for months? I wouldn't say so. I barely heard about it the entire 04 campaign (2000 was quite awhile ago for me). Your fascination with the "liberal" media is kinda funny, and pathetic at the same time.

And wtf you mean you don't expect me to know the difference? Isn't this the kind of **** that got you banned? Because please continue, Tailgate was a much more pleasant, intelligent place when you weren't around.

That was from the 40's. :doh:

Doesn't anyone find it odd and disturbing that in the year 2008 the soon-to-be president is addicted to cigarettes?

Oh he'll be smoking in the White House, just not tobacco.

Your President Elect will be smoking blunts while threatening Russia with nukes. It's cool, it's they'll know he's just high.

Obama is middle aged-works 16-18 hours a day in probably the most stressful environment in the world- and he smokes. Not a good combo.

I hope he can quit for him and his family's sake. But at the end of the day that's his choice, and doesn't affect his ability to lead or govern.

If he actually smokes three a day there is not clear medical evidence that it increases risk significantly. None would be better of course.

Living in an urban environment with air pollution, flying at high altitude (long distance international pilots have 25 times the incidence of skin cancer of Joe Public), and diet are all factors.

Archived