Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama says he won't smoke cigarettes in the White House: Chicago Tribune

TrumanB

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-talk-obama-smokedec08,0,1955010.story

What a wonderful role model for the youth of America. :rolleyes: Interesting that the article title doesn't state that "Obama still smokes". Oh well, it is the messiah after all.

While the burning question of whether he smokes still rages, Barack Obama says he definitely won't be lighting up in the smoke-free White House.

The president-elect addressed the subject during a television interview aired Sunday, acknowledging that he has sneaked a few puffs.

"There are times where I've fallen off the wagon," Obama said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The does-he-or-doesn't-he question has been the butt of ongoing speculation.

Obama told the Tribune in February 2007 that he had quit at his wife's urging, but his comments this year have been somewhat hazy. He said in February that he was chewing stop-smoking gum Nicorette, in June that it had been months since his last cigarette, and in a November interview with Men's Health magazine that he was indeed smoking again—occasionally.

"But I figure, seeing as I'm running for president, I need to cut myself a little slack," he told the magazine, adding that he sometimes bummed a smoke along the campaign trail.

Obama's comments Sunday didn't really clear the air.

"I've done a terrific job, under the circumstances, of making myself much healthier," the president-to-be said. "And I think that you will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

He said in the White House. That doesn't mean he might not sneak a few drags out in the Rose Garden.

I heard that he once had the hiccoughs. Hiccoughs can stem from a nervous condition. What's he nervous about? What's he lying to us about? But we don't hear about that, do we? Why won't the damn liberal media investigate the origins of the President Elect's hiccoughs?

I heard for the first time that Obama smokes about 2 weeks ago in an interview he did on ABC.

I almost fell on the floor. I had no idea- but then, I thought it was kind of cool in a way. It shows he's human. Because quite frankly, when you see someone who graduated Harvard Law School and has 2 perfect kids and a perfect wife and a perfect career and does everything perfectly, it makes you (a) want to puke and (B) wonder if he's even human.

Might sound bad, but I kind of like to know that my leaders have vices. Within certain paramaters of course. For instance, I'd be very dissapointed to learn he's a pothead. :)

heres to the crack investigation by the media though over 2 years of travelling with him? I never heard of it..

known during his 2004 Senate campaign, when his wife told the Chicago Sun-Times that he smokes "about three Marlboros a day."

wait to ruin a stereotype... blah ;)

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

I heard for the first time that Obama smokes about 2 weeks ago in an interview he did on ABC.
Really, I thought this was very old news.

I almost fell on the floor. I had no idea- but then, I thought it was kind of cool in a way. It shows he's human.

But doesn't it get you mad that he doesn't have the discipline to not be an addict to a product?

For instance, I'd be very dissapointed to learn he's a pothead. :)

I bet we would have less wars though. Less people in prison as well.:cool:

Besides the fact that it is stupid to smoke, it also raises this question - does this guy have any will power? Here he is, elected to the highest office in the land and he can't manage to stay away from a few puffs. It tells me something about the guy. What's he going to do if Russia invades another sovereign nation - go cower in the Rose Garden chain smoking Marlboro reds.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

But doesn't it get you mad that he doesn't have the discipline to not be an addict to a product?

Nah, that's on him. If he wants to be big tobacco's *****, that's on him :)

I post that stuff to get others fired up about quitting. But ultimately it's their decision, and I don't really judge others for smoking, because I used to do it myself.

By and large though, as a rule, most people who smoke nowadays have kind of given up on life. "Winners" who smoke are few and far between. I DO hold people accountable for that, at least those who want something from me (as is the case with a politician). But that's not the case with Obama, obviously.

And that's also not to say at all that smoking makes you a loser. Not true at all, just that most people who smoke nowadays happen to be in a position where they've checked out of the game of life, even if they don't realize it.

You don't get thru a Presidential Election not having any willpower. That's just dumb.

Some of the most brilliant people I've ever met, or that have existed throughout history were smokers.

Archived