Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barack Obama says he won't smoke cigarettes in the White House: Chicago Tribune

TrumanB

oh come on man. just stop.

Do you hold Dick Cheney to the same standard? Do you know what Doctors orders have been since his last (what is it, 3rd?) heart attack, and if he's been following them?

I'm glad that when I've tried quitting smoking in the past or shed a few pounds on a diet, etc. - there hasn't been someone there saying it might be an indictment of my character

Thats what makes us human

Wow.

Did I call it an indictment of his character, or did I say I really don't consider this a big deal, I just hope it doesn't become a pattern?

Yep, I'm just a hack. (My decision to vote for the man aside, of course.

And I just posted a link showing in February that he said he had "successfully quit."

But I guess I'm a Sarge, simply because I heard the man say he had quit, and took him at his word, and missed the bit in June.

I find it hard to believe that you've never known anyone trying to quit smoking that thinks they have quit the habit and then have a relapse a few weeks/months/years later.

I also know people who have "quit" drinking for a period of time and then eventually start up again.

Doesn't make it lying.

Wow.

Did I call it an indictment of his character, or did I say I really don't consider this a big deal, I just hope it doesn't become a pattern?

"Theres one"

Like- "theres one, and if there's another, I'm done with him".

If you don't like the guy or his policies, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a reason other than he's having trouble quitting smoking.

"White Lie- but I hope it's not indicitive of things to come"

As in- I'm building my case against Obama, based on the fact that he "lied" about quitting smoking.

Well you know what Hog? By that standard, there are SEVERAL things you've "lied" about OPENLY on this very board. That goes for most of us. But I would never be so shallow as to judge you by it.

Why do you keep typing this in every thread, after you say something about Obama? And why would you feel the need to type this to me?

I find it hard to believe that you've never known anyone trying to quit smoking that thinks they have quit the habit and then have a relapse a few weeks/months/years later.

I also know people who have "quit" drinking for a period of time and then eventually start up again.

Doesn't make it lying.

Why do we always call people "recovering alcoholics," even if they've been sober for 40 years? Why don't they ever claim to have "successfully quit?"

Look, again, I DON'T see this as a big deal; regardless of how it went down (relapse or white lie.) Hell, as long as I continue to have an ex-wife, I'll drink. So I can't very well jump somebody else's ****. ;)

Why do we always call people "recovering alcoholics," even if they've been sober for 40 years? Why don't they ever claim to have "successfully quit?"

Look, again, I DON'T see this as a big deal; regardless of how it went down (relapse or white lie.) Hell, as long as I continue to have an ex-wife, I'll drink. So I can't very well jump somebody else's ****. ;)

I was just trying to clarify - and was just posting a link showing that he admitted having problems quitting well before the election.

As you said, it's not a big deal so perhaps this post just reflects a personality flaw of trying to get in the last word. :silly:

Doesn't make it lying.

Hold on where is the logic in there. Now I agree there are bigger problems then Obama smoking, which is retarded now adays to smoke but that is for another thread.

If you QUIT smoking you QUIT. There are no ifs ands or buts. If he relapsed then he didn't quit.

"Theres one"

Like- "theres one, and if there's another, I'm done with him".

And that WOULD be damning. You know, if that was what I actually said.

If you don't like the guy or his policies, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a reason other than he's having trouble quitting smoking.

Right, and I don't like his policies. (I'd remind you that I do, and give you an example that proves that, but you obviously don't care for that approach.)

"White Lie- but I hope it's not indicitive of things to come"

This is a very minor issue, zoon. If he did fib about it, that does concern me.

As in- I'm building my case against Obama, based on the fact that he "lied" about quitting smoking.

And here again, if that was what I said, it would be damning. Fortunately, that's not what I said at all.

I really have to wonder why EVERYBODY who tries to argue with me on this board has to do so with words that THEY put into my mouth. Got damn it's frustrating.

Well you know what Hog? By that standard, there are SEVERAL things you've "lied" about OPENLY on this very board. That goes for most of us. But I would never be so shallow as to judge you by it.

Such as? My weight loss? My lifestyle changes? Never claimed victory there, it's ALWAYS been a work in progress; and will be until the day I die.

Why do you keep typing this in every thread, after you say something about Obama? And why would you feel the need to type this to me?

"oh come on man. just stop."

Stop what exactly?

I had a similar reaction, but I wasn't floored at Obama, I was floored that it was never mentioned before.

But in the end, it makes no difference... unless he adopts a preachy additude about public health, like he did about the tire inflation, and the 72 degree thing.

you guys actually missed all those badass photos of him with the cig dangling from his lip?!?!?

Hold on where is the logic in there. Now I agree there are bigger problems then Obama smoking, which is retarded now adays to smoke but that is for another thread.

If you QUIT smoking you QUIT. There are no ifs ands or buts. If he relapsed then he didn't quit.

I think you were getting that backwards. Late 07/early 08, he says he's quitting. A few months later he says he has quit.

I guess on a few occasions over the summer he gave in and smoked a cig. Then he gives this more recent interview saying that he did in fact smoke a few cigs during the campaign.

So him saying that he quit, if that was before he started smoking occasionally again, would not have been lying.

(Not that any of this matters to any degree)

And that WOULD be damning. You know, if that was what I actually said.

Then why are you even in this thread? If you don't have a problem with it, don't say that you do. end of subject.

you obviously don't care for that approach.)

What a doofus comment to make.

This is a very minor issue, zoon. If he did fib about it, that does concern me.

nah, you're just posting for your health. we get it.

And here again, if that was what I said, it would be damning. Fortunately, that's not what I said at all.

You didn't have to say it. We get it loud and clear. But it would be a lot easier if you wouldn't come off it when you get called on it. "oh I don't really care, where did I say I cared, I just think it's a lie, and I would never do it" :blahblah:

I really have to wonder why EVERYBODY who tries to argue with me on this board has to do so with words that THEY put into my mouth. Got damn it's frustrating.

Almost as frustrating as you insulting the collective intelligence of the board by saying "oh I didn't really mean that, I don't really have a problem with it" after you spend a dozen or so posts saying **** like

"that's one" :rolleyes:

stop what, exactly

the passive-agressive routine, followed by innocent victim.

Just come out and say it. "You don't think it's a big deal, but you consider it a lie. And although that's not an afront on his character, you hope it's not a sign of things to come, i.e. more lying. And you don't really care, and never really said it was a big deal, but it's not something you would ever do." :blahblah:

Then, when someone calls you on it-

"I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth!" :violin:

Everyone has an addiction. Something that's unhealthy that they're trying to stop. And everyone struggles with it. Whether it's cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, junk food, a video game, bad sleeping habits, aggressive driving, or crazy amounts of time on ES. It's all the same. An addiction is an addiction.

Then why are you even in this thread? If you don't have a problem with it, don't say that you do. end of subject.

Excuse me if I'm a little fed up with chief executives lying to me over the last 16 years. Maybe I'm a little gun-shy.

What's so hard to understand about this? I don't think this particular situation is a big deal. But if he lied about a little thing, that makes me nervous.

What a doofus comment to make.

Right. Because you didn't call me out for saying I voted for Obama in "every thread." :rolleyes:

nah, you're just posting for your health. we get it.

Did your cornflakes taste like urine this morning by chance? I truly don't know why sharing my opinions has you so pissed off. I didn't come in here looking to start **** with anyone. You've seen me do that. And you know the difference.

You didn't have to say it. We get it loud and clear. But it would be a lot easier if you wouldn't come off it when you get called on it. "oh I don't really care, where did I say I cared, I just think it's a lie, and I would never do it" :blahblah:

I'm not coming off of anything. This is not a big deal. But if this is a sign of things to come, it could become a big deal. That's what I've said through the entire thread.

Almost as frustrating as you insulting the collective intelligence of the board by saying "oh I didn't really mean that, I don't really have a problem with it" after you spend a dozen or so posts saying **** like

"that's one" :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to insult anyone. If I was, I would make reference to their "doofus comments" and their tendencies to just "post for their health."

I was sharing my opinions. No more no less.

the passive-agressive routine, followed by innocent victim.

It's not a routine. I showed you two examples of you arguing with things that I simply didn't say.

Just come out and say it. "You don't think it's a big deal, but you consider it a lie. And although that's not an afront on his character, you hope it's not a sign of things to come, i.e. more lying. And you don't really care, and never really said it was a big deal, but it's not something you would ever do." :blahblah:

Then, when someone calls you on it-

"I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth!" :violin:

If I was out of line a couple of weeks ago, just say it and be done with it. There's no reason for this. None.

Wow.

Of course you didn't actually vote for him, did you?

You're a liar. Just like Obama.

Yes we can ... or at least we can try really hard. :silly:

Of course you didn't actually vote for him, did you?

You're a liar. Just like Obama.

Yes we can ... or at least we can try really hard. :silly:

I can almost smile about that now.

I'm anxiously awaiting the response from the Secretary of State's office.

I don't know if you were addressing me or not Steve, but...

One of two things happened here.

A "Mission Accomplished" banner was flown prematurely.

OR

He lied about a very minor issue.

Neither make me very comfortable, for obvious (recent) reasons.

But maybe I need help anyway. :)

Archived