Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Holy ****!  That's some kind of water damage there. Coincidentally enough right below the windows and door.  And particle board at that,( it appears anyway).  Good catch though. That's some work right there but it'll be good to get that part buttoned up for sure.  I Sympathize though. Constant battle with all kinds of issues in my street inspected house. Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any Nest thermostat users out there? 

Moved into our house (built in 2012) in May & put in Nest thermostats upstairs & downstairs. No issues throughout the hot summer. Today (with the snow) Xfinity has gone down ~5 times. When it does, the unit under the house (downstairs heat pump) starts making a loud thumping sound. I quickly adjust the temp on the Nest to stop everything (probably a better way). Last time I finally decided to re-start it. Haven't lost power since the re-start. Anybody have any ideas on what could be happening? 

7 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Any Nest thermostat users out there? 

Moved into our house (built in 2012) in May & put in Nest thermostats upstairs & downstairs. No issues throughout the hot summer. Today (with the snow) Xfinity has gone down ~5 times. When it does, the unit under the house (downstairs heat pump) starts making a loud thumping sound. I quickly adjust the temp on the Nest to stop everything (probably a better way). Last time I finally decided to re-start it. Haven't lost power since the re-start. Anybody have any ideas on what could be happening? 

Google (which owns Nest) just wants to see how (and how quickly) you react to auditory disturbances to increase the efficiency of their coming extermination of humans.  

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 2

49 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Any recs for power washers? Looking at a Husqvarna one at Costco for $189. It's 2000 psi, electric powered.

Only needed for power washing walkways and a small area of brick. 

Never had one before so not really sure what I should be looking for. 

Should be strong enough to peel skin from flesh.

Powerwasher injuries (for strong stomachs only)

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Any recs for power washers? Looking at a Husqvarna one at Costco for $189. It's 2000 psi, electric powered.

One of two things will happen

You won't use it much and within two years the wife will make you get it hell out of the garage

You will use it and within two years be eyeing up gas powered units that really crank out the PSI

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Why don't you just rent one for a day and get it done?

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 1

On a related note, last year some dumbass came thru and spray painted graffiti on the curbs on our street.

3-4 neighbors chipped in and I bought a new gas pressure washer for that @1/4 the cost to me.

It takes a fine touch, the thing will cut into concrete, but took care of that issue.

So now we have a pool PW, when and if it's needed, but it tends to sit around a lot, so I've been monkeying around with it to see what else it can do to justify its storage.

Outside the boxly, the thing digs like a mofo without tearing out the roots. Messy but effective.

At full blast it strips off major rust on remod projects, again, messy but effective.

Handy for clearing drain pipes.

It's a plasma cannon on hornet's nests.

It discourages TF out of feral cats (apparently the official state animal of DE).

The one thing I keep arguing about is that it is NOT for cleaning vinyl siding, seemingly the No.1 use people think its for. It will tear it up, loosen the nails, drive water inside the wall, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 1 month later...

Cpl of pics from the catastrophe I posted about in Dec.  There is some lipstick on this pig bc it will never but the Taj Mahal BUT there is also damn near a full new header board, 7 new floor joists, complete new sub flooring and LVP in l/r, kit, d/r, hallway and both bathrooms.  New windows, door including frame.  New hardware out the ass all around.  Fridge is new but rest of appliances are used.  Refurbished cabinets but new counter top.   Every frigging wall tuned up and painted.  

After 3.5 tandem trailers and pickup truck loads of crap to the dump, on the final punch list which is seemingly never ending but it’s at least it’s at the point of being a functional piece.

Found out from the neighbors that the reason it was so rotted was bc the previous owner A. had a cat “collection” and B:  was well known to local authorities and the final straw was him pouring gas throughout the house and threatening to burn the place down.  Once they beanbagged him and dragged him to the pokey, the FD opened the windows and doors hosed the place out.  And then the house was sealed up…….perfect.  It’s next life, a chefs staff flophouse so it will probably be worse next time…….

0F027100-D401-459E-A399-829BDE169131.jpeg

7CB06981-968C-4894-897E-BBC720113CDB.jpeg

3E132117-B171-4E15-A89D-916C02E05116.jpeg

07B8B934-BE0A-4B71-B5B5-3DF4EACD3531.jpeg

56FED39C-5ECB-4D22-BD24-C6359DBD0A1A.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Looking for a little ES input.  Doing a quick kitchen redo in a mid ‘50s vintage home.  Back then they had 40” stoves.  These days 30”.  I’ve been trying to find a good condition vintage stove but no luck so, here we are, decision time.  I’m not replacing the cabinets but I am going to do a butcher block counter top.  

Soooo, the question is:  should I keep the counter flush w the end of the cabinet and just leave the gap as is or, add a 10” overhang to give a little more counter space, half ass fill in the gap and cover the trash can?  My concern is that the overhang can’t be supported real well and may warp.

I think I’m going to sell this before the market flattens instead of rent but still, I don’t want to **** work.  And yeah, that ugly ass stove is getting replaced w stainless.  Screw it, can’t find vintage so that’s what it’s gonna get.

F2AE9A42-E952-44A5-BCCA-396D22CF7642.jpeg

B526DC47-DF7D-47E9-BAA8-BE84A653F3A4.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj

51 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Looking for a little ES input.  Doing a quick kitchen redo in a mid ‘50s vintage home.  Back then they had 40” stoves.  These days 30”.  I’ve been trying to find a good condition vintage stove but no luck so, here we are, decision time.  I’m not replacing the cabinets but I am going to do a butcher block counter top.  

Soooo, the question is:  should I keep the counter flush w the end of the cabinet and just leave the gap as is or, add a 10” overhang to give a little more counter space, half ass fill in the gap and cover the trash can?  My concern is that the overhang can’t be supported real well and may warp.

I think I’m going to sell this before the market flattens instead of rent but still, I don’t want to **** work.  And yeah, that ugly ass stove is getting replaced w stainless.  Screw it, can’t find vintage so that’s what it’s gonna get.

Get the overhang and put shelving underneath or make it look the same as it does the the left of the dishwasher (when looking at it). Either will allow you to support it extra counter space and it would be a great play for utensils used on the stove or a great prep station for something about to go on the stove. Doesn't look good with the trash can there.

• Like 2

Wow.  Much of the work here puts me to shame.  I still havened figured out how to hang our TV in the little entertainment nook we have. I have heard about spanning plywood on studs.  We talked about buildiing shelving.  For now we just use an Ikea Dresser (Henmes) as a TV stand.  The dresser does hide my subwoofer... 

• Like 1

If it works it works. :)

I agree with Hersh above where shelves are concerned. Hell,it wouldn't take that much more work to customize a cabinet for that space either. The present ones appear to be a very simple detail. Every last bit of storage you can add to a small kitchen like that is a plus. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

On 1/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, The Evil Genius said:

If you haven't bought one yet then just get the Greenworks 1600 PSI 1.2 GPM Pressure. I have this and does a really good job. And on Amazon it is only $93. 

• Thumb up 1

• 3 months later...

I need some help.  While I was cleaning my shower enclosure, I noticed cracks/gaps where the tile hits the shower pan. I had assumed it was caulked... but it's not.  It looks like it is grout or even some type of glue? If it is some of the grout has cracked at that seal. 

I am assuming I should just clean the grout and not worry about caulk?  

Trying to upload pics on an image hosting site.  

https://ibb.co/q9SZZqL
https://ibb.co/jvHc7TG
https://ibb.co/VpYmX9Z
https://ibb.co/mbF6fGV

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I need some help.  While I was cleaning my shower enclosure, I noticed cracks/gaps where the tile hits the shower pan. I had assumed it was caulked... but it's not.  It looks like it is grout or even some type of glue? If it is some of the grout has cracked at that seal. 

I am assuming I should just clean the grout and not worry about caulk?  

Trying to upload pics on an image hosting site.  

https://ibb.co/q9SZZqL
https://ibb.co/jvHc7TG
https://ibb.co/VpYmX9Z
https://ibb.co/mbF6fGV

That is lot of yuk there. It is grout. Remove any old chalk and then I would first spray that with bleach first (I have bleach in spray bottle for this kind of stuff, also works great on shower curtains too) and let it sit for 10 mins or so that all the mold can be killed first. Blow dry it with a hair dryer. Then you will have a better idea.   Even if the grout is cracked just let it be. Put chalk over it. Problem solved. 

Edited by zCommander

Hardscaping question. Mrs. Sisko bought a huge planter for a spot near our deck. The planter isn’t quite tall enough though and the spot needs leveling out too. Could I use polymeric sand inside of retaining wall blocks to build a level, raised platform? Trying to avoid dealing with concrete. 

• 3 months later...