Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

OK, this spring I plan on doing some serious fixing up of the homestead. Im pretty handy, but i dont have any specific training in most of the things I want to get done, besides painting.

I know lots of people on ES either do this stuff for a living or have experience fixing up their own homes.

Feel free to ask for advice in this thread.

My first project:

Fixing a leaky fridge. For some reason, about once a week, i find a puddle around my fridge. Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it? Preferably without buying a new fridge.

Also, I have some mold on the wall in my upstairs bathroom. What should I use to clean this off?

Also, I have some mold on the wall in my upstairs bathroom. What should I use to clean this off?

Use bleach. Scrub good. Re-paint. There is a paint you can buy at home depot called "Killz" it prevents mold from growing. It solved the problem in my bathroom.

This is assuming it's just spots of mold/mildew. If its a serious mold problem, call a professional.

Use bleach. Scrub good. Re-paint. There is a paint you can buy at home depot called "Killz" it prevents mold from growing. It solved the problem in my bathroom.

This is assuming it's just spots of mold/mildew. If its a serious mold problem, call a professional.

Its just spots. Bleach will work.

we are completely renovating a back porch that was converted into finished living space before we bought the house. i took out the window of the redskins room that leads to the porch and installed french doors. we are taking up the carpet and putting vinyl down.

i spent a large part of the last week or so installing a paver patio in the back yard, around our brick grill.

my next big project will be a split rail fence.

our house was built in 1952. since we bought it in '03, we have, in addition to the above, painted every room, ripped up almost all the carpet since the floors are hardwood, replaced all the windows, installed a new heating/ ac system (that was contracted), updated the electricity in the kitchen, renovated the bathroom.

i have a guy that takes care of the lawn as far as fertilizer, lime, weed kill.

How is your fridge leaking ?

Uh, how? Um, water is escaping from it. Not sure what you mean by "how?"

And how old is it ?

Conveyed with the house, so i dont know. Probably 10 years or so.

Have you found the source of the leak ?

No. How do i go about doing that?

My offseason project was building a deck off my back porch. Screened in porches are great, but no place to put the BBQ :)

Anyways, there is not one nail in the entire deck. Screws used for everything. I thru-bolted all of the major joints & I used 4 2x6 runners to lay the joists on top of... it's over-built to say the least. But that's half the fun. :)

Anyways I just recently put the finishing touches on it... low voltage lighting integrated in the steps and in the landscaping... as well as a japanese maple & some assorted red & white azaleas. I even used cobblestone pavers for the landing. The landscaping needs to fill out a bit more, but I guess I just need to be patient.

I started this last January... worked on it nights & weekends mostly when I was home and the wife would allow :D

• Like 1

PB... I would bet that your leak is from the water line coming into your fridge. (does it have an icemaker/water dispenser?)

Your fridge should be on wheels, so you should be able just to roll it forward away from the wall. Keep in mind though that the fridge has been sitting there for a while so it might be difficult to break free.

Anyways, look behind the fridge where the water line (should be copper, sometimes they're other material though) connects to the fridge... I bet that's your problem.

Otherwise, you've got a problem with your condensor or something... in which case you should just buy a new fridge.

PB... I would bet that your leak is from the water line coming into your fridge. (does it have an icemaker/water dispenser?)

Your fridge should be on wheels, so you should be able just to roll it forward away from the wall. Keep in mind though that the fridge has been sitting there for a while so it might be difficult to break free.

Anyways, look behind the fridge where the water line (should be copper, sometimes they're other material though) connects to the fridge... I bet that's your problem.

Otherwise, you've got a problem with your condensor or something... in which case you should just buy a new fridge.

:cheers:

I agree, if I had to guess it would be one of the two.

And if you figure its a ten year old plus fridge, than it might just be time to invest in a new one.

Might cost you more to fix repeatedly in the long run.

Does anyone have a Trex Deck? If so, have you ever cleaned it? I've got one and it's not recommended to use a power washer but you need to use a soft bristle brush along with some soap and water. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Does anyone have a Trex Deck? If so, have you ever cleaned it? I've got one and it's not recommended to use a power washer but you need to use a soft bristle brush along with some soap and water. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

I've got Trex on my front porch. (And I'm glad I do, because otherwise I would have been tempted to use it on my back deck. That stuff gets brutally hot in the sun... you can't even walk on it.)

Anyways I clean it with a bleach solution and a scrub brush. Doesn't take long at all... dirt comes right off. Pressure Washers are over-rated... a lot of times it's less work to just use a scrub brush and cleaning solution.

I totally agree with your assessment of pressure washers... People think they are this magic machine that can clean anything... they can, but a scrub brush, approprite cleaning product and a hose is often quicker and better... and a lot quieter...

As far as your fridge leaking, there should be a drip pan in the bottom. Depending on the model, the plastic grill on the front at the bottom should pull right off (might have small screw or fasteners, but not usually) and you should see the plate. Some of my fridges over the years have had removable drip trays so you can clean them. See if the tray is full... it may indicate a bigger problem. You will often have a plate or part that heats up to evaporate the water that builds up. I think most of the water is supposed to be from condenser condensation so it may be indicative of an issue with your condenser.

I would:

1 - check the pan to see how much water is under there before rolling the fridge out. Get plenty of towels just in case.

2 - make sure your fridge and freezer are not so packed with stuff that the fans and vents in the back are blocked.

3 - Clean the coils on the back. THey build up with dust over time and cause the cooling system to work harder... BUT ONLY USE A VERY SOFT BRUSH, THEY ARE EASILY BENT AND DAMAGED!

4 - Check for any tubes coming off the back or bottom. THey may be blocked and overflowing something else.

5 - Take your wife to Lowes and buy her that new fridge she's been looking at...

zoony, where does the hate of pressure washers come from? :laugh:

i know i'm not taking a scrub brush to the 250 sq. ft. patio i just built. the pressure washer will make it's first appearance of the season.

no hate here :)

I use mine a lot... mostly on concrete though. It would be perfect for your patio.

But for use on wood and painted surfaces, you have to turn the pressure so far down that you'd be better off using a scrub brush and hose.

no hate here :)

I use mine a lot... mostly on concrete though. It would be perfect for your patio.

But for use on wood and painted surfaces, you have to turn the pressure so far down that you'd be better off using a scrub brush and hose.

tell that to professional painters.

My first project:

Fixing a leaky fridge. For some reason, about once a week, i find a puddle around my fridge. Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it? Preferably without buying a new fridge.

?

I know you like to drink but remember to look in the dark next time :)

Actually this spring I get to continue to taking all the wallpaper down in all the bathrooms.

If anyone uses wallpaper anymore they need to get the electric chair, the worst invention to not paint a wall in the world :)

The water might be due to either the waterline for the icemaker or even just condensation from the fridge. Check the temp inside to see if it is exrememly cold...

For the fridge I'd venture to guess you have a leaky seal around the door causing the fridge to build up condensation, causing water to trickle out the bottom of the door. Pull the drawers from the bottom out and take a look at the bottom catch pan.

If it were a line, or motor problem you would have water all the time and not one time a week like you explain.

Mold in a bathroom more times than not, is from an underlying problem somewhere else in your home [unless you keep a bathroom window open all the time]

While household bleach will help in the cleaning and give the ability to seal the wall, unless you use some type of a biocide, your problem will come back if the bathroom continues to have a moisture issue.

If you feel you need a professional, PM me. I manage a mold remediation team as well as water and fire loss restoration on residential and commercial structures.

everything you need to know is in this post:

1. If you are choking on an ice cube simply pour a cup of boiling

water down your throat. Presto! The blockage will instantly remove

itself.

2. Avoid cutting yourself slicing vegetables by getting someone

else to hold while you chop.

3. Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat

by using the sink.

4. For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and

bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember

to use a timer.

5. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent

you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze

button.

6. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then

you will be afraid to cough.

7. You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it

doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does,

use the duct tape.

8. Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.