Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

We're behind on the grouting front here...we tend to just use an all in one tile adhesice/grouter. Never seen different grouter colours in DIY centres...maybe it's exclusive to the trade here still?

Anyway..nice idea having a choice. :applause:

Blighty, Lowe's and Home Depot here in the states have a pretty nice range of grout color choice. You buy the bulk of the grout (which is just a bland grey color) seperate from the coloring agent. It's amazing how many colors there are to choose from.

Blighty, Lowe's and Home Depot here in the states have a pretty nice range of grout color choice. You buy the bulk of the grout (which is just a bland grey color) seperate from the coloring agent. It's amazing how many colors there are to choose from.

Sounds good...hopefully it catches on here.

so I need to tell the contractors to use "unsanded grout" on the tiles for the shower then?

If they are any kind of contractor, they will use that without you saying. Only question they should have for you is what color.

Speaking on color, I saw it mentioned somewhere to use a dirt type color or something. As long as you take care of the grout/tile, and apply a sealer/protector every six to eight months,you can use ANY color you like.

Grout ends up looking like crap because people don't take proper care of it, and the average consumer is not even aware they need to seal their grout/tile that often.

Today there are products that you simply spray on, and there is no wiping down at all.

Good luck on your project Air Force!

thanks chubakah!

their bid was for 2,300 dollars. another company wanted 6,175 (adding in staining/glazing the bathtub and glass doors)

I think I am going with Duron "Plantation Beige" for the paint of the bathroom. and then will try and match the tile and unsanded grout with that. as well as the new shower heads and faucet/handle..

Speaking on color, I saw it mentioned somewhere to use a dirt type color or something. As long as you take care of the grout/tile, and apply a sealer/protector every six to eight months,you can use ANY color you like.

Grout ends up looking like crap because people don't take proper care of it,

Who's got time for that? Seriously. On Maslov's hierarchy of needs, I would say 'properly sealed and maintained grout' is somewhere just above 'itemized/categorized sock drawer'.

As for the spray products you mention, that's the first I've heard of them, I'll have to check them out. In my experience though there is always a catch with things like that.

AFC... go with an earth-colored grout. You'll thank me :)

I think I am going with Duron "Plantation Beige" for the paint of the bathroom. and then will try and match the tile and unsanded grout with that. as well as the new shower heads and faucet/handle..

you're better off going with

1a. benjamin moore

1b. sherwin williams

2. behr (home depot)

any of those three can match any color that you have picked out.

I just told the contractor to go with unsanded grout and sent him this link for paint for the bathroom:

http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/duron/duron_colors_25.htm

which color do you like best for the paint job? once I get that down it will be easier to choose tile and the matching grout color.

I am moving towards sandy lane or one of the colors on the far right which are more reddish

you're better off going with

1a. benjamin moore

1b. sherwin williams

2. behr (home depot)

any of those three can match any color that you have picked out.

Major, are you saying that Benjamin Moore is better, or that they're equal?

Also, do you have a recommendation on deck stain? Cabot?

Major, are you saying that Benjamin Moore is better, or that they're equal?

Also, do you have a recommendation on deck stain? Cabot?

i prefer benjamin moore. my summer painting partner (who paints year round), prefers sherwin williams. behr is a GREAT value.

as far as deck stain, cwfuv is one that we use, but if you've got the money, nothing beats sikkens

why is benjamin moore better than duron? which color would you say is better for the paint- a more gray, more tan, or more red color?

better durability, washability and overall quality.

but the more i think about it, for bathroom paint, i'd go with sherwin williams durations....it's the most washable paint i've ever seen.

i'm not much of a color guy. i'd go earthy, but not dark.

solid, transluscent, or 2-step? How long does this stuff last?

I've been told that nothing lasts longer than 3 years.

2-step is best. not NECESSARY on new wood, but still better than translucent. 2-step is a must for renovating.

the first time you put it on, it'll last 2-3 years. during the 3rd year, re-do it using the same product, and it should last 5 years. they say the 3rd time you do it, it should last about 8 years.

2-step is best. not NECESSARY on new wood, but still better than translucent. 2-step is a must for renovating.

the first time you put it on, it'll last 2-3 years. during the 3rd year, re-do it using the same product, and it should last 5 years. they say the 3rd time you do it, it should last about 8 years.

Okay... final question. Are you gonna get your ass down here and help?

He asked if sanded grout was a real thing. The ad "BS" was for the pic only...

The orifinal conversation was for floor tiles not wall. I always have used sanded grout in the bathrooms extra traction. Tiles can get very slippery.

Actually, unsanded grout is used in many applications, in fact any time you drop below a 3'16" grout line, sanded grout should never be used. That article/advertisement is BS.

You should also use unsanded for transitions like going from tile to wood like in a bathroom to wood hallway.

In a typical track home unsanded grout is used in shower stall walls more than 50% of the time.

You done good!

Ok, I'm the un-handiest person ever. I have two projects I want done, and need to prioritize them and get 'em done.

1. Fence. Our HOA will only allow a wooden fence that looks like everything else in the neighborhood. We have a pretty big back yard. Lot totals a little more than 1/3 acre, and the back yard is bigger than the front. I'd love a fence to give some privacy and keep our little ones in. Is it best to go with a Home Depot or does it not really matter, just find a contractor?

2. Patio/deck. The door off the kitchen is only a few feet above the ground (we have a walk-up basement). Been going back and forth between patio and deck. If deck, we prefer man-made vs wood. But right now we're leaning towards a patio. I like the look of slate, but recently read about something called 'stamped concrete'. They can make it have the look, texture, color of just about anything you want-and it's probably cheaper. I'm just concerned about cracking. Anyone have experience with stamped concrete? How much do patios normally run if you hire someone? Is it better to go with a reputable company, or does it not really matter? Anyone have a strong opinion of patio vs deck, and the relative costs?

I'm thinking of replacing the windows in my house myself (about 9 of them). Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Get a professional. Seriously...do. Do you know how to mix mortar? Put in a window frame you know will not collpase after 20 years? Put a frame in square so it's well insulated and wont budge if you have slight house movement? Handled glass before, so you don't risk cutting a major artery? No? Then hire a professional. If you're really desperate, when the pro puts up your windows, observe how he does it and do it yourself next time, if you feel confident enough.:applause:

Heres a few more landscaping pictures. The house is only 2 years old so obviously things need to fill in some more.

In one picture is Gold Mound Spirea, Creeping Phlox, purple Azaleas and a Laceleaf Maple. In the other are hershey-red Azaleas mixed with purple Azaleas framed by 2 Dogwoods.

I built a rock wall about 3 feet high on one and only about a foot high on the other. Can't really see one of the walls because it is around the front.

If anyone has any other landscaping ideas or pictures please post, always looking for ideas. And I've got a lot more to do. :)