Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Ok, so i cant believe this ****ing happened.

Halftime of the GLORIOUS Skins Dallas game i go to the bathroom to expel some used beers. I finish, flush, and bump a bottle of hair crap into the bowl. It was PERFECTLY timed. The NANOSECOND the bottle hit the water, the water went down the tube, taking the bottle with it. I still cant believe it freaking happened.

I tried to reach down and retrieve it, but i cant get to it. Now im scared to :toilet: in my toilet.

How the hell do i get that thing out of there?

I bet its still lodged in the trap. I would try every way in the world to get it out of there from going thru the bowl. Just be sure to wash thoroughly afterwards :laugh:

If you can't get to it though... removing a toilet is extremely easy. Shut off the water to your toilet and take the bolts out of the bottom of the toilet and disconnect the water (after you shut it off, lol)

The toilet should lift right off. beware of smells coming up from the plumbing... you might want to even put some plastic over the opening. Anyways, you can maybe get to it this way by shoving something flexible thru the opening of the toilet and pushing it out the other end.

To replace the toilet, you might need another wax ring... they are cheap and you can buy them anywhere. Anyways, don't over-tighten the bolts as you can crack the toilet doing so.

Don't be intimidated PB... toilets are one of the easiest things in the world to work on. And worst case if you break it or something, you can always go to Lowes and buy a new one for $100 or so. Not a big deal.

I bet its still lodged in the trap. I would try every way in the world to get it out of there from going thru the bowl. Just be sure to wash thoroughly afterwards :laugh:

Any ideas on how to go about this?

If you can't get to it though... removing a toilet is extremely easy. Shut off the water to your toilet and take the bolts out of the bottom of the toilet and disconnect the water (after you shut it off, lol)

You say shut off the water AND disconnect the water. I know to turn off the knob behind the toilet, is there something else too?

You say shut off the water AND disconnect the water. I know to turn off the knob behind the toilet, is there something else too?

no that's all I meant.

As for your other question, I dunno. They make plumbing snakes to break up clogs... but that's a shampoo bottle, it won't break up.

Maybe some kind of flexible pickup tool with claws on it? Or you might be able to call a hardware store and ask if they have anything that would work for that. Whatever it is it will have to snake thru the trap, grab the bottle, and pull it out.

Just turn off the water to the cistern, flush it and then scoop any remaining water out of the toilet beforeremoving the bolts.

Replacing a toilet is easy - even I can do it. But when you put something to cover the hole so that nothing falls down it, remember to remove it before you put the toilet back. :doh:

The wax seal cost something like $4 at Home Depot.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Make Jen do it. Girls have small hands. :laugh:

Who's got time for that? Seriously. On Maslov's hierarchy of needs, I would say 'properly sealed and maintained grout' is somewhere just above 'itemized/categorized sock drawer'.

:rotflmao:

I've got to clean up a couple of bathrooms; replace our master bathroom shower unit and the tile, with new flooring and fixtures, and hopefully leave it at that.

My kids main bathroom has a shower in the tub. They both are enjoying their science at the moment and chose the item below as their shower curtain. :geek:

We've yet to work out a matching color scheme for this.

I've got to clean up a couple of bathrooms; replace our master bathroom shower unit and the tile, with new flooring and fixtures, and hopefully leave it at that.

My kids main bathroom has a shower in the tub. They both are enjoying their science at the moment and chose the item below as their shower curtain. :geek:

We've yet to work out a matching color scheme for this.

I wish I had that shower curtain while in school....That would have helped me a lot.

:D

• 4 weeks later...
When i run too many appliances in my house at the same time, the circuit breaker blows. How do i keep that from happening?

You could buy a higher amperage breaker, but risk an electrical fire. Most times the breaker is there to keep the wire from overheating and causing a fire.

If you have any electrician buddies they could tell you how much your circuit could really handle safely. Then go from there.

You could buy a higher amperage breaker, but risk an electrical fire. Most times the breaker is there to keep the wire from overheating and causing a fire.

If you have any electrician buddies they could tell you how much your circuit could really handle safely. Then go from there.

Yah, that's one project I wouldn't recommend tackling yourself.

When i run too many appliances in my house at the same time, the circuit breaker blows. How do i keep that from happening?

do NOT simply buy a bigger breaker.

not for your average ham and egger, run another circuit and ADD a breaker in your box. This is assuming that you have room in the breaker box.

of course, if you REALLY never want the breaker to blow again, just replace it with a wrench........(**allow me to edit this for those of you that may be a little sarcasmtardy. This is sarcasm. Do NOT do this b/c yes, your appliances will continue to run, HOWEVER there is a distinct possibility that your home may burn down around the wrench....)

• 3 months later...
What are you suppossed to do with old half-full paint cans?

if you are not going to use them take them to the Fairfax County Trash Center, they will recycle all your old paint etc... all you need is a ffx county decal on your car, it is located near fair lakes i believe

What are the plans for this summer??

I just finished redoing all of our bathrooms, wallpaper needs to be banned and if you own a home with it you must be forced to take it down before you sell personally :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Need to replace the deck this year and do something with the basement once and for all :)

if you are not going to use them take them to the Fairfax County Trash Center, they will recycle all your old paint etc... all you need is a ffx county decal on your car, it is located near fair lakes i believe

Thats the place on West Ox? I didnt know if they take paint or not.

What are the plans for this summer??

I just finished redoing all of our bathrooms, wallpaper needs to be banned and if you own a home with it you must be forced to take it down before you sell personally :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Need to replace the deck this year and do something with the basement once and for all :)

I just moved, so i have a pretty good list. This week im dumping all the **** i dont need anymore at the new place, then hanging a TV on the wall, hanging some other **** on the walls, refurbishing a grill (thoughts on this project welcome), and hopefully installing a pull up bar.