Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

I have a question for you DIY guys. I'm one of the most unhandy, handymen around. My question is, I have a dual AC/Heat system for upstairs and downstairs. Two seperate thermostats. The lower T-stat is going through my backup batteries like crazy. What is my problem? Why is the system running off the batteries only (I'm assuming)? I know it's not a wiring problem as the system works when the batteries are in. Did my fuse go out? Or did the T-Stat itself go out? The upstairs one is the same T-stat and I haven't changed the batteries. We just moved in 3 months ago and I'm on my 3rd set of batteries on the lower unit. Maybe someone in here has had the same problem and could help.

Probably a bad connection on the power input wire (usually comes from the air handler relay) and it is running on battery

checking the connections at both ends or using a continuity tester if ya have one would be 1st

if it is getting power the thermostat itself might be bad

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4867651_troubleshooting-digital-thermostat.html

Edited by twa

Probably a bad connection on the power input wire (usually comes from the air handler relay) and it is running on battery

checking the connections at both ends or using a continuity tester if ya have one would be 1st

if it is getting power the thermostat itself might be bad

I'm thinking the thermostat, because it gets power and works through the batteries.

Cant wait to get a house so i can start doing stuff like this. Been helping my Dad put in floors and tile for a while. Hopefully soon!

It can be a pain in the ass and sometimes a bit daunting,but as cliche as it may be,when you get done it's pretty damn cool. And a whole lot cheaper. My girlfriend loves DIY stuff,so as she looks for houses,we keep that in mind. Really helps to be able to look beyond some of what she has found to what they could be with some sweat equity.:)

Gotta be the thermostat itself pj. It's faulty or wired improperly. Keep in mind a lot of those thermostats are built to take batteries and can be hardwired to the the system itself. You can open up the thermostat yourself and see if it is in fact,hardwired.

It is hardwired. I checked the wires and they look intact and are connected real well. I've heard that after a while the T-stats just go out. The house is 13 years old and I'm assuming they are the original. I've been thinking about going ahead and replacing both. We replaced the one in our last house (it was a manual) to a digital and we bought a Hunter brand. I think this brand is Honeywell. Like I said, when the batteries are in, the heat and air run with no problem. When the batteries are low or out, it doesn't do squat.

It can be a pain in the ass and sometimes a bit daunting,but as cliche as it may be,when you get done it's pretty damn cool. And a whole lot cheaper. My girlfriend loves DIY stuff,so as she looks for houses,we keep that in mind. Really helps to be able to look beyond some of what she has found to what they could be with some sweat equity.:)

Yea, im sure at times it can be daunting...but like you said it will be very satisfying.

It is hardwired. I checked the wires and they look intact and are connected real well. I've heard that after a while the T-stats just go out. The house is 13 years old and I'm assuming they are the original. I've been thinking about going ahead and replacing both. We replaced the one in our last house (it was a manual) to a digital and we bought a Hunter brand. I think this brand is Honeywell. Like I said, when the batteries are in, the heat and air run with no problem. When the batteries are low or out, it doesn't do squat.

If you have a multimeter, take the T-stat off the wall and check to see if you are getting 24 volts. If not, there is a break or short in your wire going to the T-stat. The wires run directly to the motherboard of your AC/Gas furnace. (usually found right in front of the blower housing when you take the bottom panal of the unit off) Check for a loose connection there too. Its one of those two issues. If you are getting 24 volts at the T-stat, then you would want to replace the T-stat. Honeywell is a decent brand, depending on the model. (like most pieces of equipment.)

Edited by Stew

Yea, im sure at times it can be daunting...but like you said it will be very satisfying.

Indeed. Even more so if it's with the better half. :) Looking forward to working on whatever house my girlfriend finds,(the ultimate honey do list. ;) ).

If you have a multimeter, take the T-stat off the wall and check to see if you are getting 24 volts. If not, there is a break or short in your wire going to the T-stat. The wires run directly to the motherboard of your AC/Gas furnace. (usually found right in front of the blower housing when you take the bottom panal of the unit off) Check for a loose connection there too. Its one of those two issues. If you are getting 24 volts at the T-stat, then you would want to replace the T-stat. Honeywell is a decent brand, depending on the model. (like most pieces of equipment.)

I don't have a meter, but my dad does. I'll borrow it and check it. Thanks.

Hey handymen folk.

My wife and I are renting out our condo and the renter said that the rim around one of the recessed lights in the living room ceiling has come loose. The housing itself seems fine it's just a metal rim that goes around the perimeter of the light where it meets the drywall.

How should I go about putting it back in? There doesn't seem to be a point where it will hold itself by friction. Should I drill a small hole and screw it up there? Seems like an ugly fix. Is there some kind of glue I should use? It's a textured ceiling.

Generally that trim ring on a recessed light is a friction fit into the light pot or tabs that grab the edges of the hole, etc. I wouldn't glue it unless you already have a buyer lined up- someone's going to be pissed about that sooner or later.

Try rotating the trim to see if it "grabs" somewhere else and/or remove it and see if it has tabs that can be carefully bent outwards a little to grab better.

Question-- What is the best way to anchor 12" pilings into dirt for the purpose of a foundation for a (small) house?

probably depends on the ground,but concrete is rather widely used

Generally that trim ring on a recessed light is a friction fit into the light pot or tabs that grab the edges of the hole, etc. I wouldn't glue it unless you already have a buyer lined up- someone's going to be pissed about that sooner or later.

Try rotating the trim to see if it "grabs" somewhere else and/or remove it and see if it has tabs that can be carefully bent outwards a little to grab better.

Thanks for tip, I'll fiddle with it more tonight. We have a renter currently in the unit, it's just a cosmetic fix for them. The ceiling is around 12 or 13' high at that spot though, so it's not something she can just do by herself.

Yes below the frost line. Local building codes should give guidelines for the frost depth in your area.

What is this frost you speak of? ;)

Down here ya worry about sinking in the gumbo, never even considered cold

What is this frost you speak of? ;)

Down here ya worry about sinking in the gumbo, never even considered cold

In case you're wondering, I'm considering purchasing a piece of land in western MD to eventuallly build a cabin. Thing is, I don't want to pour a concrete foundation, which would require that the property be graded, etc. I'd like to keep the "land" as pristine as possible, so my solution to build on wood pilings, like what you would see at the beach. Three issues I can forsee are (1) plumbing/how to get water to a raised structure while ensuring that pipes will don't freeze (2) insulation of the underside of the structure, and (3) building a stone chimney to a raised structure.

• 3 months later...

Okay. Moving in to the new home. Fiance' wasn't kidding about needing some work. After I find out who did the roofing and some of the plumbing repairs and punch them in the head,I can get to work. So far and this is just a quick list off the top of my head,(such as it is. ;) ).

Fix two broken sprinkler heads,(just about done).

Replace light switches in1-2 rooms.

Build an assortment of shelving in garage,(the dreaded Christmas and every other holiday decoration thing).

Install eave and roof venting.

Replace flooring in one bathroom,(carpet in there right now. Yuck).

Redo all caulking in same bathroom.

Power wash siding and under soffit.

For starters. :whew: