Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

@Elessar78 Thanks that is the exact model I am looking at.  I'm looking at the darker colored one which is like $799 right now.  

Did you get the matching dryer too?  We are also looking at the dryer and if I get a new washer will probably just get both.  Our stuff came with the house and it's just old and on it's last legs.

We did NOT get a matching dryer. We had spent a lot of $$$ recently on various stuff and this was an emergency purchase, so we decided to table the dryer for another year. I DO want to get the dryer. The dark one looks sharp, but we had to take first available since this was already on a 6 week fulfillment.

So far I'm happy. There's notes to leave the lid open when not in use so it doesn't get musty. We tried a heavy blanket and it did that really well, but haven't tried anything like a comforter yet. My wife has no so far made no complaints like "our clothes aren't clean"—so that's good. I'm kind of an old-school agitator guy since I've used them for 30+ years and I've never had the "my clothes are dirty after the wash" feeling. But the new ones do save a ton of water, esp. if I'm washing two loads at once.

• Like 1

I just installed my Nest Secure Alarm System and this thing is SSUUPPEERR easy to setup and it's super sleek too.  I can't believe how easy it was to set everything up.  

Hopefully this weekend I can install the 2 cameras I got.

These cameras feel way heavier than the Ring cameras I returned.  I was shocked how heavy the box was.

• Like 1

So I am installing a Nest camera and drilled a hole from outside into my garage where an outlet is to plug it in.  However there is this 3/4" connector on the cable so I had to make the hole bigger than that.  It wouldn't fit through a 3/4" hole I made so I ended up doing a 1" hole.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean this up from outside?

bitJp4d.jpg

Are there any like rubber plugs or something that are 1" that I could cut and stretch around the connector and then put on there to make it cleaner?  Or should I just use some kind of outdoor caulk or something to fill it?  I would think there would be some kind of plug or something that I could run the wire through that would be clean.  Like I feel that is something other people have had to do a lot too.

There's both: Solid  plug or a cap like this one. I'd go for the solid plug, drill out the center to the size of the cable, slice it to the drilled area, fit it around the cable & put in in the hole. If there's any gap fill it with caulk. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-15-16-in-x-11-16-in-Black-Rubber-Hole-Plug-808238/204273789

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-Nylon-Locking-Hole-Plug-808168/204225716

image.png.b3e4148f431a409c1aac47fa6aead4d0.png

image.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

There's both: Solid  plug or a cap like this one. I'd go for the solid plug, drill out the center to the size of the cable, slice it to the drilled area, fit it around the cable & put in in the hole. If there's any gap fill it with caulk. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-15-16-in-x-11-16-in-Black-Rubber-Hole-Plug-808238/204273789

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-Nylon-Locking-Hole-Plug-808168/204225716

image.png.b3e4148f431a409c1aac47fa6aead4d0.png

image.png

Problem with these is that I'll have to cut a 3/4"hole in that for the plug to fit through.  That is why I'm wondering if there are like rubber ones where I can cut a slit in them and stretch it around large part of the plug.

31 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Problem with these is that I'll have to cut a 3/4"hole in that for the plug to fit through.  That is why I'm wondering if there are like rubber ones where I can cut a slit in them and stretch it around large part of the plug.

Drill the hole the size of the cable. Then slit it to fit it around the cable & put the plug in the hole. No need to run the plug through it. 

Or get something like GG11 just posted. 

5 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Drill the hole the size of the cable. Then slit it to fit it around the cable & put the plug in the hole. No need to run the plug through it. 

Or get something like GG11 just posted. 

Ooooh herp derp I see what you are saying.

I may need sometype of glue/sealant to get it to stick though.  Any suggestions on that?

@GibbsGreen11 where did you see that?  I am going to run to HD and have a couple things I want to check out.  I was looking at some of that Loktite foam possibly too.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

So I am installing a Nest camera and drilled a hole from outside into my garage where an outlet is to plug it in.  However there is this 3/4" connector on the cable so I had to make the hole bigger than that.  It wouldn't fit through a 3/4" hole I made so I ended up doing a 1" hole.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean this up from outside?

bitJp4d.jpg

Are there any like rubber plugs or something that are 1" that I could cut and stretch around the connector and then put on there to make it cleaner?  Or should I just use some kind of outdoor caulk or something to fill it?  I would think there would be some kind of plug or something that I could run the wire through that would be clean.  Like I feel that is something other people have had to do a lot too.

https://www.amazon.com/security-camera-junction-box/s?k=security+camera+junction+box&page=3

24 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I may need sometype of glue/sealant to get it to stick though.  Any suggestions on that?

@GibbsGreen11 where did you see that?  I am going to run to HD and have a couple things I want to check out.  I was looking at some of that Loktite foam possibly too.

I think you'll be fine without glue. Just tap in the plug that should hold it. You may need to caulk any gap. 

If you don't ever plan to move the cable forget the plug & use spray foam to keep it in place. 

13 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I think you'll be fine without glue. Just tap in the plug that should hold it. You may need to caulk any gap. 

If you don't ever plan to move the cable forget the plug & use spray foam to keep it in place. 

I don't know what those plugs are called or where to get them.  I've found out that aisle 15 bay 22 at my local HD has all of that other stuff above plus some grommets so I plan to check that out.

I am going to have some clips before/after where ti goes in the hole to keep the wire in place too, but I am thinking of getting some loktite foam just to put inside the hole since it'sprobably like 6-8 inches deep.

• Like 1

Latest dilemma:

Purchased a house to ultimately be used as a rental.  Since I’ve been here, my biggest peeve is the lack of hood vent over the stove.  Ok, so my cooking isn’t that great, whatever I’m not dead yet but damn, I have to turn the ceiling fan on and open the windows almost every time I use the stove. 

So, this is a 1950’s home and apparently has never had one so there is no electric in place.  I can get that bc the breaker box is in the basement below the kitchen.

There is also only about 6” between the stove and the bottom of the cabinet.  I’m not replacing the cabinets bc, rental.  My initial thought is to commit to blasting out the bottom of the cabinet to the 2nd shelf.  That’s going to be a pita.  I’m also going to have to pipe in the exhaust vent/outlet.  Another pita.

Plus, if I bring the cabinet up that high, I’m going to have to remove a row of tile because the top row was cut around the cabinet,  come up with something to cover the space on the left wall, or repaint the entire frigging kitchen bc there’s no way I can find tile to match.

What say ye home wreckers of ES?  Am I missing something that would give me another option?

241F66B7-5896-49D0-8B65-0C7DA3619314.jpeg

67282BDF-8B22-47C5-9055-A8ED6376AF20.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj

Not ideal, but if you don’t want to rework the cabinet you could put in a thRough wall exhaust fan beside the stove...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-NuTone-470-CFM-Wall-Chain-Operated-Bathroom-Exhaust-Fan-506/100662380?MERCH=REC-_-visuallysimilar_1_0-_-100662376-_-100662380-_-N

make sure the one you get is rated for use in kitchen, I think that one is..

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Is the wall hollow?

If so, may want to put a tube in instead of trying to foam it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Latest dilemma:

Purchased a house to ultimately be used as a rental.  Since I’ve been here, my biggest peeve is the lack of hood vent over the stove.  Ok, so my cooking isn’t that great, whatever I’m not dead yet but damn, I have to turn the ceiling fan on and open the windows almost every time I use the stove. 

So, this is a 1950’s home and apparently has never had one so there is no electric in place.  I can get that bc the breaker box is in the basement below the kitchen.

There is also only about 6” between the stove and the bottom of the cabinet.  I’m not replacing the cabinets bc, rental.  My initial thought is to commit to blasting out the bottom of the cabinet to the 2nd shelf.  That’s going to be a pita.  I’m also going to have to pipe in the exhaust vent/outlet.  Another pita.

Plus, if I bring the cabinet up that high, I’m going to have to remove a row of tile because the top row was cut around the cabinet,  come up with something to cover the space on the left wall, or repaint the entire frigging kitchen bc there’s no way I can find tile to match.

What say ye home wreckers of ES?  Am I missing something that would give me another option?

I had an oven in my rental (my home before that) that was one piece and had the fan built in (looked similar to this):

6KC2HYYYRRHEBNYLR6BMTRYGAI.jpg

I took out the oven and had to get the over the range hood. What you can do is get rid of the big cabinet and get the smaller one and put the range hood under that. The one I got came with charcoal filter so it doesn't need to be vented out. 

Just keep in mind to allow 30 inches of space between the bottom of the cabinet and the cooktop of an electric stove (36" for gas range). 

As for the tiles I had to get creative as the one I installed myself 16 years ago were nowhere to be found locally. The closest one I found were subway style and almost same color (see picture). It worked out for me and the back of the oven covers the bottom 1/4 of tiles anyways.  :)

IMG_20200324_141047.jpg

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

Just get this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-100212441-_-N

• Like 1

Too late and I feel like I made it look even worse lol.

I had no clue that loctite foam **** was such a pain in the ass to work with.  That **** like never stops expanding and expanded out of the hole.  And then it got on the side of where I drilled the hole a bit and I tried to get it off and just spread it around more and now it looks all messy.  I am hoping once it dries I can scrape it off to at least get rid of that ****.

I got some nylon washers to basically cover the hole.  I was going to fill the hole in the wall with the foam and then just glue a washer to the hole on each side.  But that ****ing foam kept expanding and pushed the washer out so again I hope I can shave some of that **** off tomorrow and then just glue the washer there and it will look somewhat clean.

Oh and did I mention that loctite **** is a pain in the ass?  That **** is stuck all over my hands now and I can't even peel it off.  Already showered and scrubbed the **** out of it.  I did put my fingers in nail polish and then rub it on this calice filer thing I have and that did work a bit, but it also hurts after a while and I'm tired of that ****.

**** me.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Too late and I feel like I made it look even worse lol.

I had no clue that loctite foam **** was such a pain in the ass to work with.  That **** like never stops expanding and expanded out of the hole.  And then it got on the side of where I drilled the hole a bit and I tried to get it off and just spread it around more and now it looks all messy.  I am hoping once it dries I can scrape it off to at least get rid of that ****.

I got some nylon washers to basically cover the hole.  I was going to fill the hole in the wall with the foam and then just glue a washer to the hole on each side.  But that ****ing foam kept expanding and pushed the washer out so again I hope I can shave some of that **** off tomorrow and then just glue the washer there and it will look somewhat clean.

Oh and did I mention that loctite **** is a pain in the ass?  That **** is stuck all over my hands now and I can't even peel it off.  Already showered and scrubbed the **** out of it.  I did put my fingers in nail polish and then rub it on this calice filer thing I have and that did work a bit, but it also hurts after a while and I'm tired of that ****.

**** me.

I feel your pain. The stupid can emptied out in my car (came upside down somehow) and went into my circular saw, among other things, and into the hole where the battery goes...ughhhhh! I got some on myself and yeah it takes time to come off your hands. You will have to just rub your hands over some concrete or a scrubber. It will come off in couple of days. 

When it is fully dried it is easily cut and scrapped. I had to wait and do the same for my saw as well. Lots of digging was involved but at least the battery fits and the saw works now. :)

Edited by zskins
  • Thanks 1