Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

On 6/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Hypothetically if my neighbors wall has a leak that causes mold and damage to my house, does it even matter the source?

Not sure I understand the question.  Finding the source of the leak is the first step in mitigating the issue.

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Wife said she heard a noise & then noticed the smell of a burned electric motor on our 11 year old dishwasher. It blew up mid-cycle while I was out. I turned off the breaker when I got home haven't opened the door yet. I wanted to wait a bit for the water to drain (I'm assuming it will drain). I had a guy come out 6 months ago to replace a part on the bottom that was leaking ~$250. Any ideas on next steps? Awesome this happened on a Friday, 4 days before we go on vacation...

Don't marry an 11yo dishwasher? 😁

(Agree with the other comment. Actual dishwashers are relatively cheap these days. You can get quality ones sub $600.)

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Not sure I understand the question.  Finding the source of the leak is the first step in mitigating the issue.

My question was about who pays.  I got a lawyer to answer it though.  And the fact I have a lawyer tells you how well this is going.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I installed a ceiling fan today.  I anticipated an easy time of it, as I have installed ceiling fans several times before.  How wrong I was.

I removed the old fan and the old mount.  I installed the new mount.  Then in reading the instructions I found they showed a different mount than that which came with the fan.  The one that came with the fan didn't attach to the fan the same way and, in fact, didn't appear to have any good way to attach the fan to the mount (and in no way matched the diagrams in the instructions)  WTF?  It was unworkable.  Fortunately I was able to re-instal the old mount which would work fine with the new fan.  

Next the fan came with a remote control, so there was a remote adapter and some addtional wiring.  The instructions that came with the fan however said the remote unit was optional, and had zero instructions on how to do the wiring of the remote unit.  Fortunately I was able to locate a video online (not from the manufacturer) that simply explained it.  So when I went to put the fan up and do the wiring, I noticed that the fan did not come with a hangar to hang the fan while doing the wiring, which is something all fans come with and which the instructions said was included.  So I had to rig something to hold the fan while I did the wiring.

Then, for some reason I couldn't get the screws to line up properly so I could mount the fan.  After much cussing and finagling, I managed to get it hung properly.

The rest was easy, but it ended up taking way longer than it should have.  Frustrating.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, China said:

So I installed a ceiling fan today.  I anticipated an easy time of it, as I have installed ceiling fans several times before.  How wrong I was.

I removed the old fan and the old mount.  I installed the new mount.  Then in reading the instructions I found they showed a different mount than that which came with the fan.  The one that came with the fan didn't attach to the fan the same way and, in fact, didn't appear to have any good way to attach the fan to the mount (and in no way matched the diagrams in the instructions)  WTF?  It was unworkable.  Fortunately I was able to re-instal the old mount which would work fine with the new fan.  

Next the fan came with a remote control, so there was a remote adapter and some addtional wiring.  The instructions that came with the fan however said the remote unit was optional, and had zero instructions on how to do the wiring of the remote unit.  Fortunately I was able to locate a video online (not from the manufacturer) that simply explained it.  So when I went to put the fan up and do the wiring, I noticed that the fan did not come with a hangar to hang the fan while doing the wiring, which is something all fans come with and which the instructions said was included.  So I had to rig something to hold the fan while I did the wiring.

Then, for some reason I couldn't get the screws to line up properly so I could mount the fan.  After much cussing and finagling, I managed to get it hung properly.

The rest was easy, but it ended up taking way longer than it should have.  Frustrating.

Victory should be savored.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, China said:

The weird part of this story is that you had no trouble with a simple home project the first few times. 

Latest project:  cabin on 5 acres in the woods.  Exterior, interior framing, electric wiring done prior.  Big items:  central AC (contractor), plumbing, tongue in groove walls and ceiling, all fixtures and appliances, complete bathroom, flooring, etc.  (us w a couple hired guns when manpower needed) Looking to finish structure by end of year for purpose built ABB.

Then to the outside for the entertainment: hot tub/volleyball/fire pit/etc and finish a remote boom boom room/kid’s hideout with electric/AC and accommodations.  As an aside, found what looks to be bear scat all around this area.  

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I have a back door to the patio that's stuck. there's this wood buffer under the door that is blocking the door from opening out. 

what should be done in this case. it seems like the door has expanded or something. door used to open fine now is larger? 

Have you checked the hinges to make sure they're screwed in tight?

On 8/19/2023 at 11:55 AM, The 12th Commandment said:

Anybody install or have any of those sail shades in their yard?  Thinking of putting one that would extend the shaded part of my patio a bit.  There are a ton of different brands and options.  

10X20RectangleShadeSail.jpg.1f38b8697bb2dc3d5c6df0449f8a5179.jpg

* not my patio lol

Did you do this? I just saw this and I’m curious as to how it’s going. I want to do this over my pool, but now sure that I want to be dealing with these things every time it gets windy. As stated previously, I’m in Houston, but closer to the gulf and the afternoons kick up a bit of breeze in the afternoons. I don’t need more to do, haha.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Did you do this? I just saw this and I’m curious as to how it’s going. I want to do this over my pool, but now sure that I want to be dealing with these things every time it gets windy. As stated previously, I’m in Houston, but closer to the gulf and the afternoons kick up a bit of breeze in the afternoons. I don’t need more to do, haha.

The ones I am looking at (Colortree) are rated up to 85mph wind if installed properly.  We get seriously windy every spring in the SW but rarely does it exceed 85.  Rare to exceed 60.  I figure to leave them up year round.  Don't see why you couldn't in Houston (edit:  unless there's some of that tropical weather) either.  Snow would be an issue but we don't have much of that. 

Haven't completed the project yet, have to go to El Paso and get fence posts long enough.  The sails and hardware are relatively inexpensive, even for the better quality fabric. Biggest expense will be the posts and concrete etc to put them in.  

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The 12th Commandment said:

The ones I am looking at (Colortree) are rated up to 85mph wind if installed properly.  We get seriously windy every spring in the SW but rarely does it exceed 85.  Rare to exceed 60.  I figure to leave them up year round.  Don't see why you couldn't in Houston either.  Snow would be an issue but we don't have much of that. 

Haven't completed the project yet, have to go to El Paso and get fence posts long enough.  The sails and hardware are relatively inexpensive, even for the better quality fabric. Biggest expense will be the posts and concrete etc to put them in.  

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into that brand. 

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I smell gas in my garage.  I have no idea why this would be.  My furnace is also on the same level (my bottom level is garage and utility room), but the smell is less bad in the utility room. Any thoughts?

Call the Washington Gas company to come out & check for a leak. It's free. Leave the garage door open to keep air circulating. 

Is the heat on & running (actual heat coming out of the vents)? If it's on but no heat, the pilot may not be lighting when the system calls for heat thus no gas is actually burned and a bit goes into the air as the furnace tries to light the pilot. The furnace has a thermocouple wire sensor that keeps the gas flowing when the thermocouple gets hot indicating the pilot/gas is burning. If the thermocouple is bad it's not sensing the pilot burning thus it turns off the flow of gas to the pilot. But some gas gets emitted into the air. 

If you've ever had a propane patio heater go bad - won't stay lit after you release the knob after it's actually lit - it's the $5 thermocouple. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Call the Washington Gas company to come out & check for a leak. It's free. Leave the garage door open to keep air circulating. 

Is the heat on & running (actual heat coming out of the vents)? If it's on but no heat, the pilot may not be lighting when the system calls for heat thus no gas is actually burned and a bit goes into the air as the furnace tries to light the pilot. The furnace has a thermocouple wire sensor that keeps the gas flowing when the thermocouple gets hot indicating the pilot/gas is burning. If the thermocouple is bad it's not sensing the pilot burning thus it turns off the flow of gas to the pilot. But some gas gets emitted into the air. 

If you've ever had a propane patio heater go bad - won't stay lit after you release the knob after it's actually lit - it's the $5 thermocouple. 

Heat is off and hasn't been on for a few days, it's like 70 degrees here. 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Heat is off and hasn't been on for a few days, it's like 70 degrees here. 

Hmmm...doesn't seem like you would smell gas now if it ran overnight and hasn't run since the early AM. I would start by calling the Gas Company & get them to check it. 

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Hmmm...doesn't seem like you would smell gas now if it ran overnight and hasn't run since the early AM. I would start by calling the Gas Company & get them to check it. 

Just called the gas company and they are sending someone out.

I appreciate the advice. 

• Thumb up 2