Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Don't try to peel it off...it will rip your skin off. Fingernail polish or paint remover to get it off...

Finger nail remover ain't doing **** lol.  I went to get some.  It's only helping a bit when I do it then scrub it on my file.  Hands are so ****ing ripe now though.

Glad to hear that foam stuff scrapes off easily.  If that is the case then I should be able to clean it up just fine and it will look decent.

54 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Jesus I just went into my garage to lock it up and the hole I put foam in on the inside of the garage looks like it grew a nut.  That wasn't there like 10 minutes after applying the foam.  That stuff just keeps expanding lol.

Yes it does...lol

I even used brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, WD-40 and Orange hand cleaner. Nope. I used a rock/concert with the Orange cleaner to get post it off. Was able to peel it off a little by little in a day or two. 

Edited by zskins

58 minutes ago, zskins said:

Yes it does...lol

I even used brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, WD-40 and Orange hand cleaner. Nope. I used a rock/concert with the Orange cleaner to get post it off. Was able to peel it off a little by little in a day or two. 

It was so strange when I showered and had stuff on my finger tips and was washing my hair, and like I couldn't feel my fingertips.  Just a very strange feeling and it really bothered me lol.

Hopefully in a few days all this **** crusts off.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We bought a house two months ago.  I am not very good at interior DIY projects, but I love doing outdoor work.  The house we bought has a ton of gardens but many of them were really neglected.  I decided to tackle the largest one, about 375 square feet, first.  The first photo doesn't really do it any justice as I had used the weed eater on it, the weeds were all about two feet high, and it took most of a roll of trimmer string to get through all of it.  After that, it was just a lot of hours digging weeds and roots until it was time to put one of the heirs to Home Depot (and a local nursery) through college buying pavers, flowers, and other stuff.

The last photo is blueberry bushes my son wanted, which will take years to grow but should be 5-6 feet high if we don't kill them.

Tonight, I dug out the old railroad ties that the previous owners had used as a liner.  I had no idea how heavy those ****ers were until I started dragging them under the deck, four of the in all.  Guessing the trash folks won't count that as a bulk pickup and we'll have to call a junk hauler to get rid of them.

Two doses of Advil tonight, and another trip to Home Depot this weekend for more of the wall stones to keep lining the outside.

Garden 1.jpg

Garden 2.jpg

Garden 3.jpg

Garden 4.jpg

Garden 5.jpg

Garden 6.jpg

Garden 7.jpg

Garden Blueberries.jpg

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 8

This week I am preparing my outdoor space (just a 10 foot driveway) for colder temps.  I bought and need to install a heater, THE PATIO BOSS, which is like the heaters that bars have so the smokers dont get hypothermia.  https://www.amazon.com/PATIOBOSS-Electric-Patio-Heater-Protection/dp/B08BZ6L9WK.  It's getting hung above my garage under a small bay window.  

I also got a smokeless fire pit:

• Like 4

I didn’t think to take pics at beginning bc we were just eager to get started BUT it started with a combined sushi/bar with ~12 stools, 4 booths that were hardly used and dead space where the bar is now.

Basically we split the sushi and liquor bar, expanded both by around 5 fold each.  Since it is a business, all the code work was contracted out.

Still working out some logistical kinks but if you’re ever in the Lynchburg area, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you the code word for a free round or 4, lol.  

71A498E6-3372-44B5-AE54-7E599187E9F6.jpeg

B34667B7-0CF0-49C8-BB83-FEA1761EC4A3.jpeg

7CA4D72A-6DEA-4F5F-9CBC-04E4E9C6C275.jpeg

A5A5C86B-900E-42F3-8E57-1C6C1915414A.jpeg

CE92F570-5EB3-4986-A4ED-9C502CBE1BA9.jpeg

543387D2-56F0-45A9-9A50-1FCC671E4711.jpeg

F1E53433-3916-4493-BE03-EEAF8B6176D5.jpeg

334E8AAF-67C4-43C9-A4CA-22CE86FC3CE0.jpeg

870BD707-3EA9-4812-9F8F-03A05198BDD0.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here know much about refrigerators?

I have a Samsung french door one that is at least 8 years old since we bought the house, that has it's handful of issues.  Typically the issues are because of condensation freezing near the fan behind the wall in the fridge.  I have fixed that multiple times and the underlying issue of the drip pipe to the evaporator being clogged.

Well a couple days ago I noticed my eggos were not very frozen.  Then the following day even less and noticing a lot of crystals in the freezer as though it wasn't freezing as well.  Then I noticed temps in the fridge were lower. 

So yesterday I emptied it and started looking at it more.  We have a lot of breast milk frozen for our son so I took all of that to my moms.

I took off back panel in the fridge and freezer and there is no condensation.   I also took off the back panel where the compressor and evaporator are located in the rear.

The fridge is making very little noise when plugged in.  

I tried putting it in manual operator mode per the service manual to run the compressor, and I see the fan next to the compressor starts spinning but I don't hear any noise from the compressor.  The compressor is cold to the touch too.  In manual mode the compressor is supposed to run constantly, per the manual here:

1-3) If manual operation is selected, compressor will run at once without 7 minutes delay in any
mode. If the refrigerator is on the defrost cycle at the moment, defrost will be finished and
manual operation will begin. (Be careful if manual operation get started at the moment of
compressor off, over load could be occurred.)
1-4) If manual operation works, compressor & f-fan operate continuously for 24 hours and fresh
food compartment will be controlled by the setting temperature.

I did hear at one point, for like 30 seconds maybe, the compressor turn on.  I heard that vibration rumbling sound and put my hand on it and could feel it vibrating.  But this only happened once when it was in that mode.

This is pointing to compressor or something near it so I took out the compressor overload protector.  Initially since I shook it and heard a rattle I thought that meant it was bad, but apparently that is normal for these types.

I also took a multimeter to it and between the two pins there was continuity.  The ohms reading read 0.1 so I am not sure if that is normal or low or could indicate a problem.

I am going to see if I can find one of those at a local shop today but if not I'm going to order one.  I found a store called Trible that carries it and is local, but according to their website, they don't have any in stock but it may not be accurate.  Anyone know any other parts stores around Montgomery County?

Also, anyone have any other suggestions on what could be the problem, or how to test out the compressor itself so I can rule it out as the main culprit?

This is the compressor overload protector.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPHsWZd2SmS3Zx-LBxu

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Quick question: if I use 2 inch drywall screws to mount a TV (four of them to the studs), am I ok? I lost the screws that came with the mount and just went to the toolbox and grabbed some drywall screws and washers to hold it up. Its staying right now but I'm wondering if this is sound reasoning. 

Everything I've always mounted to studs for TV's has been lag screws.

I personally wouldn't trust those skinny little drywall screws for that.  I'd just run to HD and get a 4 pack of screws.

Edited by purbeast

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Quick question: if I use 2 inch drywall screws to mount a TV (four of them to the studs), am I ok? I lost the screws that came with the mount and just went to the toolbox and grabbed some drywall screws and washers to hold it up. Its staying right now but I'm wondering if this is sound reasoning. 

How heavy is the TV? I would have gone with these (but longer at least 2.5") and they are less than $2 at home depot for four of them. 

everbilt-wood-screws-808171-64_400.jpg

BTW, if you are using drywall screws it is better to do two more on the top part of the mount so you would have four instead of two. 

Edited by zskins

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If I have metal wall studs in my garage, could I still hang something like this?

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rml-3w-fold-back-wall-mount-rack

You should be able to. The load is carried in the legs and shouldn’t be carried in the studs if installed correctly. The wall side is more stability. 

My brother has that exact rack and loves it. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I want a good night vision camera, to capture the mysterious wildlife that comes creeping up to my back door and steals my stuff.

What's a good, inexpensive camera for something like that ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WBWHWP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Q71NTBDTMJGAESK6AAB8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1