Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

A simple reset of the browser settings seems to have fixed it for now. I'll bookmark your post in case it pops back up again.

If it comes back try this out: 

If it is a browser hijacker, as I suspect it may be. It will also be an installed program on your OS. My previous position at my company was IT Network Admin, and I used to see this all the time when users would be looking for a legit program to download and ended up getting it from a website like cnet or download.com. Sometimes the actual download isn't vetted well, and included in it are some pretty nasty PUPs and viruses. 

My process of getting rid of it was to uninstall the program itself, (a nasty one like "search conduit" will reinstall itself later on so you can't stop there) then use ADWCleaner to clean the registry. CCleaner is good for that too, but I think ADWCleaner is better. Then I run ComboFix to make sure there is nothing left. That process hasn't failed me with any PUP I've encountered. Now if we're talking about CryptoWall, you might as well punt the HDD if you don't have a backup and start fresh. But for stuff like that, this process normally works. Good luck dude! 

If it comes back try this out: 

If it is a browser hijacker, as I suspect it may be. It will also be an installed program on your OS. My previous position at my company was IT Network Admin, and I used to see this all the time when users would be looking for a legit program to download and ended up getting it from a website like cnet or download.com. Sometimes the actual download isn't vetted well, and included in it are some pretty nasty PUPs and viruses. 

My process of getting rid of it was to uninstall the program itself, (a nasty one like "search conduit" will reinstall itself later on so you can't stop there) then use ADWCleaner to clean the registry. CCleaner is good for that too, but I think ADWCleaner is better. Then I run ComboFix to make sure there is nothing left. That process hasn't failed me with any PUP I've encountered. Now if we're talking about CryptoWall, you might as well punt the HDD if you don't have a backup and start fresh. But for stuff like that, this process normally works. Good luck dude! 

Yea. I've had, and gotten rid of search conduit before. This one wasn't on the programs list though, which is usually where go to first, and where I usually get the quick fix. If it isn't there I just do a google search of ways to get rid of it. I did that for this one, and step one was to reset the browser settings, and that knocked it out.

Steaks are just cuts from the inside of larger pieces of meat.  Handled properly and cut with clean knives in a clean environment, the chance that any given steak has enough "bad" bacteria on it to infect a person is extremely low.  If this weren't true restaurants wouldn't serve raw beef dishes like carpaccio and steak tartare.  For that matter, the health department wouldn't allow it.

On top of that, tracking down exactly how someone was infected with food borne illness is guesswork at best.  Unless several people in the same area go to the doctor and the only common factor is that they all ate beef from the same grocery store, it's just about impossible to tell what actually made you sick.  Know what the next biggest carrier of E. coli is after beef?  Leafy greens.  And yet nobody goes around saying you better be sure you cook your leafy greens.

I highly recommend the food safety chapter of "Cooking For Geeks" for anyone who is interested in the scientific facts behind food safety and disease transmission and how government regulations came to be what they are.

Steaks are cuts of meat, from larger pieces/sides of cattle.  E. Coli is a surface bacteria.  Cooking the surface kills said bacteria on steaks and other slabs of beef.  When you grind it up, if not cooked all the way through to well done, you are at risk of getting sick from the E. Coli bacteria.  

Health departments allow it, just like they allow people to eat sushi and raw shellfish, etc.  Depends on the state by the way.  Doesn't mean that it cannot cause a food borne illness like E. Coli.  It absolutely can and you are at risk if you eat raw ground beef.  

Not sure why you bothered to point out what I said already, to quote myself "It accounts for something like 40% of all food borne illnesses, for those that actually go to the MD and get an official diagnosis. "

Never said you can't get E. Coli from cross contamination via other products such as lettuce, greens.  Kind of irrelevant to my point about raw ground beef, but ok.  

Don't need to read your suggested book to know the government guidelines on proper food prep.  I already have done plenty of research, had plenty of training in the industry and know what is recommended.  

Feel free to continue to eat your raw ground beef meals, I'll kindly pass :)

So out of curiosity, do you avoid sushi for the same reasons?

Raw fish is disgusting to me.  I don't eat sushi at all.  And I wouldn't because it can cause illness as well.  You can get salmonella from sushi.  And from raw shellfish like oysters, you can get vibrio paraheamolyticus.  I've witnessed my father get food poisoning from raw oysters twice.  

Granted, he has eaten medium/medium well burgers most of his 64 years on Earth and not gotten sick.  Doesn't mean that you can't though.  

I play it safe.  Like I said, if you think the risk is minimal and want to eat raw foods, go for it broski :)

I rinse my beef off with bleach before I grind it into burger, kills all the surface e-coli lickety split.

You worked at Food Lion before didn't you?  :D

A simple reset of the browser settings seems to have fixed it for now. I'll bookmark your post in case it pops back up again.

You should check your browser search providers, add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, etc. and remove any weird things. Like Gamebreaker says, Conduit is one that you often see as a Search Provider. Another common one is MyWebSearch. There are a myriad of different names, Resetting the browser settings can definitely stop what's happening, but these things can appear to be gone but later come back if not removed. 

I used to see this all the time when users would be looking for a legit program to download and ended up getting it from a website like cnet or download.com. Sometimes the actual download isn't vetted well, and included in it are some pretty nasty PUPs and viruses. 

cnet/download.com serves up PUPs and malware by the bucket nowadays. They trick people who click Next>Next>Next when trying to download and install one thing, into installing all kinds of crap.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

You're advice is pretty good. I'm only replying because Combofix is usually considered a last-resort option for when less aggressive tools don't work. I posted some earlier but didn't reply directly to the initial post about malware. I've seen probably about a dozen computers bluescreened by people using Combofix wrong. The PCs were probably beyond help anyway, but Combofix finished em off, so an OS reinstall was needed. It's a good tool, but it can also do some damage. The other reason I'm replying  is to make sure people know that Combofix is not supported on Windows 8.1. I have no idea if it will run or not because I've never tried it, but I can imagine if it does, it might be bad. At the very least, people should make sure to back up any important files, etc before using it, IMO.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

I have been cleaning malware off PCs at least a few times a week for going on 10 years now.

/unsolicited advice

I have been cleaning malware off PCs at least a few times a week for going on 10 years now.

/unsolicited advice

I stopped that madness when I went Mac probably 7-8 years ago.  I was always cleaning my computer, my kids, my parents.  Now they all own Mac's.  Yeah I know I know Mac's can get malware.  It just doesn't happen easily.  Not like Windows.  I am sure Microsoft Edge will fix the problem.

When I threw my dads Windows computer in the trash about 3-4 years ago, one company told him it was the most infected machine they had ever seen.  No problems now.  I nickname him the Spam Ham, because there is never a spam email he doesn't like to click on.

I'd like to work with Macs, too bad most of the software needed in the business world doesn't work as well on that platform. I have an iMac at home, it's a little old but I love it. 

I own a business, it all works just fine.  Not sure what business software you are referring to.  I have a Windows VM if I ever need it.  Can't remember the last time I did.

Applications are all web based and mobile based.  I don't know of many Windows only business platforms.

I've drifted away from steak. Used to be my goddamn thing to cook steak, friends and family would make fun of me. But for multiple reasons I stopped. Mom would have nothing but "bloody" in her house. That's the degree of rarity below Rare, apparently. Cow "still had to be moo'in". Tasted great to me, cookouts were my favorite as a child. I'd watch my pops handling that fire, thinking that I'd never be able to do that. Once I learned how to, I never stopped. I cook out when it's below 0, at 2 AM. I make it a point to. I became master chef at a stir fry joint with no prior experience. It was like cooking in the backyard, except in front of customers, with dulled swords. Flippin them joints.

So I'm a mother****er on the grill. The past few years I've stuck to chicken and seafood. Chicken leg quarters are the most fun to grill, and they just so happen to be the cheapest meat p4p next to chicken drumsticks. Chicken quarters are greasier than crotch in the summertime. They cause the fire to flame up like you poured lighter fluid on it. On rare occasion it can scare ya, have had a couple close calls where I've almost had to engage the grill with the hose. No legit fires yet though, as of now.

I own a business, it all works just fine.  Not sure what business software you are referring to.  I have a Windows VM if I ever need it.  Can't remember the last time I did.

Applications are all web based and mobile based.  I don't know of many Windows only business platforms.

We use alot of proprietary stuff at my job, none of it works on Apple OS. We also use Outlook extensively and when we had one employee who demanded to use a Macbook I was always troubleshooting it. 

Really ****ing pissed off right now. No one thing, just a lot of little things adding up. Feel free to scroll past this post entirely, I just want to rant.

My boss, man...I only work part time but I was getting a lot of work for a while...now he barely emails me any new projects. I get that I'm a worm to this guy, but he's a damn flake. He had something for me, then he dropped out and now I have nothing to do. This **** costs me money and I don't want to find some crappy job at a mall kiosk or some **** in the meantime. My wife has a terrific career (both of us are working in our fields of interest) and we did fine without my supplemental income, but not getting any work cuts way into our disposable income, so I pretty much just have money for groceries and bills right now.

Speaking of the wife, I swear to God, every day it's another fight. After four years these phases happen, they're nothing new, but man it's like a cruel joke some of the stupid **** that gets brought up. Like, who cares? It's one thing if it was money or kids or anything of import, but it's not. Holy ****, no one cares that your phone doesn't work right with the newest Android firmware. I love you honey, but roll it back to the last firmware and stop whining about things you can control. She ****ing complained the other day about getting a new industry contact that had a possible job offer for her because she had just gotten a new job that she loves. Seriously? Seriously.

And I don't even have to tell you guys that sports suck. You already know. It's a waste of a paragraph. I actually have the unique (to this forum) joy of being a Blackhawks fan, but it's really not a joy right now. We're toast. Old, tired and just done. I can tell. The Ducks wore us down and an inferior team is cashing in. I hate it. I've never seen a favorite team lose a championship series, but it's probably going to happen this year. Other teams: the Bulls have been relevant for only a handful of years this century and are still no threat to get past round 2. They also dumped an extremely talented coach because our ownership is notoriously imbecilic. The Nats sold out to field an unbeatable juggernaut for one year and are a whopping 3 games above .500. The Redskins have sucked for decades and will continue to suck for decades further. I cheer for some good franchises but I get my heart broken more often than not, just like everyone else. Why do we all keep coming back to the trough? 

Oh and like the guy above me said, it's hot as balls here. That never helps my mood.

There, I feel better. How are you guys doing?

Since moving to Cali, I've found a lot of great Mediterranean places that cook great lamb. I'll eat beef, pork, whatever, but lamb is climbing the list.

And of course, I couldn't live in MD for 16 years without developing some appreciation for seafood, but I can't say I have it that often anymore. 

Archived