Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

12 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Of course we lose Christian early in the game.

I continue to call bunk that OL have to have years of reps next to each other... for continuity.  That we often hear quoted as important for OL to play next to the same guy for them to be their best. Here is my beef. They all have specific assignments no matter who the hell is next to them.  You get a new guy in there and you know what, they are healthy and hunger.   Its not always a negative to make a change, as long as they can handle the playbook enough to not blow assignments and get the QB smoked.

Next man up!

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'll wait to see how they do against the Texans, but I was really impressed (and shocked) at how well the line protected Smith.  

Yeah, Texans are going to be a huge test.

Really nervous about how play and then bounce back on a short week against the other Texas team on Thursday.

This site might be burned to the ground if we wind up going 0-2 and have to head to Philly needing a win to stay above .500.....

Just now, jbird said:

Yeah, Texans are going to be a huge test.

Really nervous about how play and then bounce back on a short week against the other Texas team on Thursday.

This site might be burned to the ground if we wind up going 0-2 and have to head to Philly needing a win to stay above .500.....

Week 17 game against Philly probably will determine who wins the East. That game is going to be bonkers. I would love nothing more than to be playing a meaningful game in week 17.

14 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Week 17 game against Philly probably will determine who wins the East. That game is going to be bonkers. I would love nothing more than to be playing a meaningful game in week 17.

I really don't want to be playing a meaningful game in week 17. I'd prefer that we have already tied up the division and are just playing Philadelphia to ruin their playoff status. :)

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I know very little about him but sure, I'm down with this idea as well.

You know what? I underestimated him given that he is a UDFA sitting on our practice squad but this guy seems to have legitimate potential and it might be worth getting him some reps if Nsekhe or someone else were to go down. Long and short is he is an FCS All American who was able to dominate the competition with superior length and athleticism but was still a bit raw w technique. The thought was that he'd be a competent backup or even a future starter with a year or two o seasoning

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/timon-parris?id=32462018-0002-5598-373c-b211b226077b

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I really don't want to be playing a meaningful game in week 17. I'd prefer that we have already tied up the division and are just playing Philadelphia to ruin their playoff status. :)

me too :)  Looking at the sched, I think were in good position for that too.  

@Skinsinparadise i was coming to post something about that.  If Cooper starts at LG next year, Front Office deserves a f'n medal.  Its one game, but legit thought only way we could realistically address that was via upcoming draft, that would be huge.

17 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The division is going to be decided in 3 weeks.  Look at the eagles schedule and their injuries.   

It's okay to admit you're from the future and saw eagles "dynasty" fall apart : )

Random question:

Why not feature a special lineman like Trent or Scherff in the run game? For example, move Trent/Scherff to different spots on the line at times depending on a play call or situationally to feature their blocking prowess (QB sneak, 3rd & 1 gut run, power run asking guard to pull, sweep— why not have Trent be featured). I understand the tendency risk aspect, but that can be used against teams as well. 

In my mind, I envision a Trent type talent being featured like a WR in a game plan to maximize his value. 

Please feel free to crush this idea, as I have zero football coaching experience and understand this goes against football norms. Though I do remember the Pats last year or year before doing some of this, but not sure of their reasons, pretty sure it wasn’t to feature lineman lol. 

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He seemed to be a beast out there. Just a stronger dude than the competition. Any idea why he’s struggled to stay employed?? It does seem like he might have the propensity to get flags, especially if conditioning is an issue. 

17 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The division is going to be decided in 3 weeks.  Look at the eagles schedule and their injuries.   

Honestly, at this point I am more worried about dallas. We have to go there. They have NO and the Colts - who BTW are playing very good football. The good news is we are up 2 gms. But if we do not take care of business and lose a few gms we shouldn't then it will open the door for dallas. Phillys schedule is brutal. The have NO, the Rams, and Texans along with playing us twice. Here is the breakdown as I see it.

Philly will likely lose at least 2 of those other games (NO, Rams, Texans) - maybe all 3 but I think 2 is a very good estimate. A split with us gives them at best an 8-8 record. We then only need to get to 9-7 to win the division. 

Dallas on the the other hand has a much easier road. If they beat us on Thanksgiving  which I expect them to do - rare for us to get a sweep in the east - they only have NO and the Colts as really tough games. The other ones are winnable if they play up to their potential. Although they do need to play philly in philly - revenge game. So to get to 9-7, they need to win 5 of 7. If you say they lose 2 out of NO, Colts, Philly, then a loss to us is devastating even if they win the rest. That would be 3 losses putting them also at 8-8. 

If we can go no worst than 4-3, I think we win the division and it's not close. 3-4 can get us there but we need some help. I see 2 wins in a split with Philly and sweeping the Giants. But that means we need 2 wins from the Texans, Titans, and Jags. Both Houston and TN are hot and are playing very good football. The Jags are an anomaly. They should be better than they are. Do they wake up against us? 

So for me, all the math changes depending on the dallas game on thanksgiving. Following the bouncing ball - the game against Dallas becomes a huge game for us. 

Of course this all changes if say we somehow beat the Texans this week. Unfortunately, I see another NO - Atl game for us. Add a dallas loss and now all of sudden a nice 6-3 record and in control turns into 6-5 with dallas breathing down our backs. Then we go into Philly in a must win position. 

All that is to agree with you - the next 3 ye.. oops :cheers: (JK) weeks will likely determine the season. 

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He seemed to be a beast out there. Just a stronger dude than the competition. Any idea why he’s struggled to stay employed?? It does seem like he might have the propensity to get flags, especially if conditioning is an issue. 

It can be hard to change the narrative on your career, get a fresh look. Sometimes you only a get another true shot if a team is desperate. Look at AP.

Cooper broke his leg in his rookie season and never seemed right after. 

Maybe he's finally healthy and in the right spot with the right coach. Has only been one game against a bad d-line, so let's pump the brakes a bit. But I am hoping .

4 minutes ago, Hooper said:

If the Skins upset Houston -- and it seems like everyone is picking the Texans -- the division race is basically over.

If we beat Texans and then Philly in a couple of weeks, the division race is basically over.

Texans alone won't seal it. 

Archived