Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Packers

KDawg

All in all it was a good effort. 

Stars: DJ Swearinger, Alex Smith, Paul Richardson outdoing Terrell Pryor's entire 2017 season in one reception, Crowder, Vernon Davis, Jordan Reed, the offensive and defensive lines (specifically Payne, Ion, Allen) and Adrian Peterson.

Meh: Ryan Kerrigan (where has he been the first three weeks?), Preston Smith (Where is our exterior pass rush?), Doctson, Mason Foster (didn't play awful but I saw him out of position entirely too often), Josh Norman (You're paid too much to be okay to good. Hasn't been playing bad by any means but he's not paying up to his paycheck).

Get it fixed now: Play calling. It was excellent in the first half. Second half the Skins went into a shell and fell into the run, run, pass trap. They tried a RPO on one second down that Smith handed off for a negligible gain. But I don't understand why they fall into that mind set after such an excellent first half.

In the prediction thread I said the Skins win 21-17 because the Packers D isn't as good as the Colts. We saw that on full display yesterday. Their defense is extremely suspect.

Hopefully I can expand further on my thoughts later, but I'm crunched for time. Look forward to seeing your thoughts.

My first thought when I woke up was the Redskins won and our season, for now at least, has been saved. So I'm happy but also concerned. Not sure why Foster is being pointed out when he again had double digit tackles, my question is what is wrong with Zach Brown and will a week off fix it?  There run defense has been much worse than I ever imagined and that needs to change ASAP.

Ryan Kerrigan gets too much flack here IMO. He has been a very good player for a lot of years and last year was probably his best.  But I have no idea what is happening with him. On one play he could not decide to rush the passer or cover the back so he just stood there in between the two and did nothing. So strange to see this.  

I think some of the flack Mason is getting is warranted. It’s not a question of him making tackles as it is him making tackles after the back is gashing us for 7 or 8 yards constantly. He is slow to the hole and is not filling downhill. Our front 3 are setting up spaced out and eating o lines alive leaving big holes that Mason and Zack should be filling a lot quicker. Hopefully it gets better after the bye. 

So....is this the thread everyone ****es about the Redskins win???  Or is it the other 40 negative threads about a win.  

Colts took the Eagles to the wire and a defensive line hold penalty won the game for the Eagles, oh and Luck had 4th and goal from the 3 for the win.  Guess the Eagles suck too, cuz we all know the Colts are horrible.  

Or is this a thread where we re-watch the game and discuss actual football and football plays.  

I too am concerned about Zack Brown, when you watch game again, he does NOT fill in the run game very well right now.  It’s not Mason.  My question would be, why is Mason in coverage a lot and not Zack?  Isn’t Zack a lot faster and better in coverage?  Just some thoughts from watching game again.  

I liked that Jordan Reed went no gloves, sweat bands or anything in a rain game.  He seemed to be locked in yesterday, say for one route he gave up on.  

17 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

So....is this the thread everyone ****es about the Redskins win???  Or is it the other 40 negative threads about a win.  

I don't think this one needs to be celebratory or complaining...KDawg started a cool tradition a couple weeks ago so this is the place were people add their thoughts during the week. Since it's the next day, it's typically less reactionary and more informative. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My first thought when I woke up was the Redskins won and our season, for now at least, has been saved. So I'm happy but also concerned. Not sure why Foster is being pointed out when he again had double digit tackles, my question is what is wrong with Zach Brown and will a week off fix it?  There run defense has been much worse than I ever imagined and that needs to change ASAP.

Ryan Kerrigan gets too much flack here IMO. He has been a very good player for a lot of years and last year was probably his best.  But I have no idea what is happening with him. On one play he could not decide to rush the passer or cover the back so he just stood there in between the two and did nothing. So strange to see this.  

Kerrigan was going up against a replacement player in Spriggs, he did draw some holding penalties but I think we want to see him finish some plays. He was turning the corner a bit on Spriggs which was nice to see vs Preston with nothing that I can remember. 

Kerrigan needs to try some inside moves. His speed rush thing to the outside is basically his only move a la Andre carter. I think Kerrigan is 32 now? jeez time flies.

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Kerrigan was going up against a replacement player in Spriggs, he did draw some holding penalties but I think we want to see him finish some plays. He was turning the corner a bit on Spriggs which was nice to see vs Preston with nothing that I can remember. 

Kerrigan needs to try some inside moves. His speed rush thing to the outside is basically his only move a la Andre carter. I think Kerrigan is 32 now? jeez time flies.

Kerrigan is 30

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

There run defense has been much worse than I ever imagined and that needs to change ASAP.

Screenshot_20180924-111354_Chrome.jpg

Looks decent enough to me.

Their not gonna hold every opponent under 100 yards a game.

our expectations are too often based on our desire instead of reality.

Was a good win, this team seems like its bipolar.  Obviously its a little hard to judge the defense with Rodgers being hobled, but we got good pressure and outside of the one blown coverage limited them to 10 points.  Anytime you do that you give yourself a great chance to win.  Im not sure we can rely on top defense and a dominant running game every game, but the games where it clicks just make everything so much simpler.

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Looks decent enough to me.

Their not gonna hold every opponent under 100 yards a game.

our expectations are too often based on our desire instead of reality.

I don't think the total yards is the issue with the running game. Because for some reason, teams don't seem to be running the ball all that much against us. Which is a little odd.

Because we're giving up 4.5 yards a carry. Exactly what we gave up last year, when we were like the worse rushing defense in the NFL.

That is something that needs to get fixed, or it IS going to come back and haunt us.

22 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont think there are any issues with Kerrigan, on a day where our interior linemen get 4 sacks and Kerrigan draws holding penalties.  

Faulting one player for a lack of pressure on a day where you got a lot of it is failing to understand just how the defensive line is a unit, not just one player.  They stunted very often and effectively, and just as an interior pass rush helps pad the outside guys numbers when the QB cant step up, so to does an outside pass rush that forces the QB to step into the interior DLinemen.  

38 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Yeah, I think we have to be honest with what we have in Kerrigan. He's a solid defensive contributor. He won't ever be (and never was) a top-tier game-changer. And, even though players should always be fine-tuning their games, I'm not holding out too much hope that he will suddenly develop inside moves in year 8. 

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I dont think there are any issues with Kerrigan, on a day where our interior linemen get 4 sacks and Kerrigan draws holding penalties.  

Faulting one player for a lack of pressure on a day where you got a lot of it is failing to understand just how the defensive line is a unit, not just one player.  They stunted very often and effectively, and just as an interior pass rush helps pad the outside guys numbers when the QB cant step up, so to does an outside pass rush that forces the QB to step into the interior DLinemen.  

That comment, the way you fashion it .. comes off as condescending. Id like to think I understand how a defensive line works as a unit as much as 90% of the posters here. Maybe you are in the 10% or so who played college football or coach HS football, in that case I would defer to you. Let me know. 

I understand that an outside pass rush can force the QB to have to step into the pocket more where interior D lineman can then get a sack or pressure. And it can work vice versa, interior push flushes the Qb out. You are not dropping any knowledge that i dont know or what you cant learn from sports talk radio. 

But Kerrigan has had a quiet 3 games. He took 86 snaps in week 1 and 2 and had 1 tackle. Yesterday he had 1 tackle and a couple holding penalties he drew. He was going up against a spot starter in Spriggs who he beat for the holding calls and I gave Kerrigan credit for turning the corner a bit and forcing Rodgers to have to step in. 

36 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I think we have to be honest with what we have in Kerrigan. He's a solid defensive contributor. He won't ever be (and never was) a top-tier game-changer. And, even though players should always be fine-tuning their games, I'm not holding out too much hope that he will suddenly develop inside moves in year 8. 

He actually does have an inside move.  Used it to record multiple sacks last year.  It’s a good complement to the speed rush, but between those two and the occasional bull rush, well... that’s about the extent of it (as far as I’ve noticed anyway).  

Definitely been a down year for Kerrigan so far though.  I haven’t noticed if he’s been used any differently (at times).  

To whoever was asking, I believe Foster is easily better than Brown in coverage.  Brown only flashes when he can use his speed to sprint to the flat (when he recognizes it on time).  Yes, his speed is better than Foster, but he gets lost in coverage... which is part of why we see JHC sub in for him on passing downs.  

I like Brown as a player, but he’s a guy that benefits from being protected by the dline.  Without that, he either beats the oline man to the spot, or gets washed out if they reach him.  Stacking and shedding is not (at all) a strength for him.  This was something I was actually  excited about with Payne’s addition, but I’m not sure Payne is really holding double teams (or that he’s even being asked to).  

I’m giving Moreau a break because Cobb is a very good slot receiver (similar to Crowder - when he holds onto the ball).  However, I wasn’t impressed with his coverage for the most part. Looking forward to seeing him continuing to improve though as he gets more experience.  

While I’m concerned with our run D, Manusky apparently understood the Packers would have some room to run as we focused on getting pass pressure (and dropping into coverage).  It’s a tricky trade off.  Of course, the alternative is having the front 7 focus on the run and blitzing more often to manufacture (quicker) pressure, but that’s risky considering Rodgers numbers vs blitzes.  

My 3 cents anyway.  

i am just excited that Skins now have a threat of a real running game, something we have not had in years. Ds cant just key in on receivers any more which makes the team much more balanced in play calling and allows opportunities for good things to happen. 

Kerrigan gets mugged so often and held that it hurts his numbers. Saw it a lot last year and in this game they called it once.   But he is applying the pressure for sure.  I say give it time.  He will get his sacks.

Run D is still sketchy.  We need improvement there.

The Josh Doctson lack of catches is irritating but he did draw two PI calls in the game so I am still up in the air there.   I don't think we have enough of a sample size of Smith going intermediate or long to know what the final outcome is going to be here with Doctson. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have NEVER understood this sentiment about Kerrigan on here. The guy has 70+ career sacks (average 10 a year over 7 seasons!), the most forced fumbles in the league since entering (game changer?!?) and has several interceptions, almost all of which he’s taken back to the house. 

Its hard to be a game changer when despite game changing plays your team sucks so bad they usually still lose. He has absolutely taken over games in his career with several sacks and holding penalties. He’s had two 13+ sack seasons. He is always a guy other teams’ coaches and players single out by name. Yet our fans look at him as just some lame high motor player. They could not be more wrong. Multiple guys on here that have a bit of an inside look into the team have said he’s got an injury right now but guess what else he is - tough. Guy has never missed a game. He’s basically another London fletcher that always gets overlooked because he’s not von Miller or Khalil Mack. But guess who’s been more consistent and healthy then those guys - Ryan. Sure, I’d rather have Mack, but that doesn’t discount Kerrigan as an excellent player who has been one of our best since day one. 

5 minutes ago, moondog said:

I have NEVER understood this sentiment about Kerrigan on here. The guy has 70+ career sacks (average 10 a year over 7 seasons!), the most forced fumbles in the league since entering (game changer?!?) and has several interceptions, almost all of which he’s taken back to the house. 

Its hard to be a game changer when despite game changing plays your team sucks so bad they usually still lose. He has absolutely taken over games in his career with several sacks and holding penalties. He’s had two 13+ sack seasons. He is always a guy other teams’ coaches and players single out by name. Yet our fans look at him as just some lame high motor player. They could not be more wrong. Multiple guys on here that have a bit of an inside look into the team have said he’s got an injury right now but guess what else he is - tough. Guy has never missed a game. He’s basically another London fletcher that always gets overlooked because he’s not von Miller or Khalil Mack. But guess who’s been more consistent and healthy then those guys - Ryan. Sure, I’d rather have Mack, but that doesn’t discount Kerrigan as an excellent player who has been one of our best since day one. 

And on the other side of the coin, I have never understood why calling a NFL player a B/B+ and not a Miller/Mack/Watt is a slap in the face. 

I think we are saying the same thing...he's reliable and usually very effective. He probably isn't someone that coordinators stay up at night scheming around. Because he never misses time and plays extremely hard, he is usually a 10-sack guy. But, make no mistake, that's not the same as being a player who disrupts an offense.  

Archived