Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB ALEX SMITH

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 14, 2018

REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB ALEX SMITH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have acquired quarterback Alex Smith from the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a third-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Smith will be introduced to the media at a press conference at Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park on Thursday, March 15. 

Smith (6-4, 217) is a 13-year NFL veteran who originally entered the league as the No. 1 overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2005 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 156 career regular season games with 151 starts, completing 2,877-of-4,613 passes (62.4 percent) for 31,888 yards with 183 touchdowns and 96 interceptions for a passer rating of 87.4. He has also rushed 529 times for 2,433 yards with 14 rushing touchdowns in his career.

After spending his first eight NFL seasons with the 49ers from 2005-12, Smith was traded to the Chiefs on March 12, 2013. In his five seasons in Kansas City, the Chiefs recorded at least nine wins in every campaign and earned four playoff berths. The Chiefs compiled a 50-26 regular season record in Smith’s starts, and he was one of only three NFL quarterbacks to record at least 50 regular season wins as a starter from 2013-17 (Tom Brady and Russell Wilson).

This past season, Smith started all 15 games in which he played and recorded career highs in completions (341), passing yards (4,042), passing touchdowns (26) and passer rating (104.7) while throwing only five interceptions. He earned his third career Pro Bowl selection and led the Chiefs to their second straight AFC West title. He also received the Chiefs’ Walter Payton Man of the Year honor for his combination of outstanding community service and on-field excellence.

Smith played collegiately at Utah, recording a 21-1 record as a starter. During his time with the Utes, he completed 389-of-587 passes (66.3 percent) for 5,208 yards with 47 touchdowns and added 1,072 rushing yards with 15 rushing touchdowns on 286 carries. He earned National Player of the Year honors from Sports Illustratedfollowing his 2004 campaign in which he led Utah to a 12-0 record.

Smith, 33, attended Helix H.S. in La Mesa, Calif., where he earned All-CIF, All-Conference and All-County honors. He was born May 7, 1984.

Was just watching an ESPN segment on the trade (on youtube - no idea what time it aired). Available here:

They were basically saying that we'd made a really smart move,  to get the best available QB locked up early before everybody started scrambling and paying crazy money. They pretty much unanimously thought Smith is an upgrade over Kirk - basically saying that Smith is smarter, and you can rely on him a lot more than Cousins to not screw up mentally. Think he's a better leader too. To cut a long story short, they really like Smith and think our FO did a good job to get him in the building early.

Whatever your take on the whole KC/AS conundrum, I think it's time that the cult of Kirk either fall into line and get behind our new QB, or go and follow Minnesota. I like Smith, I like the contract, I don't like losing Fuller, but it is what it is. Welcome Alex. HTTR

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

Was just watching an ESPN segment on the trade (on youtube - no idea what time it aired). Available here:

Hmm...one slightly interesting thing they bring up is that, if Smith were part of free agency this year, how much would he have commanded? That one guy thought he would have been the highest paid player in NFL history, not Cousins. I don't buy that for the reason of his age if nothing else. But I also think he would have gotten more than the Skins are gonna pay him. This free agency period is bonkers right now lol...

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

Was just watching an ESPN segment on the trade (on youtube - no idea what time it aired). Available here

They were basically saying that we'd made a really smart move,  to get the best available QB locked up early before everybody started scrambling and paying crazy money. They pretty much unanimously thought Smith is an upgrade over Kirk - basically saying that Smith is smarter, and you can rely on him a lot more than Cousins to not screw up mentally. Think he's a better leader too. To cut a long story short, they really like Smith and think our FO did a good job to get him in the building early.

Whatever your take on the whole KC/AS conundrum, I think it's time that the cult of Kirk either fall into line and get behind our new QB, or go and follow Minnesota. I like Smith, I like the contract, I don't like losing Fuller, but it is what it is. Welcome Alex. HTTR

Every single person from the Kirk thread should be forced to watch that video. Those of us who were ecstatic that we had upgraded the QB position with the trade for Smith are not insane according to a pretty talented group of experts in that video. Just saying.

I like this insight from Jay...

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35935/jay-gruden-alex-smiths-mobility-can-help-change-offense

“That’s something you can’t coach,” Gruden said. “Some quarterbacks are better than others, and Alex is one of the best at it. His off-schedule plays are well-documented. He’s a problem when he gets outside the pocket. You have to be well aware of your rush lanes when you’re playing Alex Smith. You have to be aware of the coverages you play. You can’t have your defensive backers and safety and corners with their backs to the quarterback covering receivers in two-man because he’ll gut you.

“His movement skills are very, very underrated. He can really, really run. He’s really a good athlete. That’s not to say we’ll run the zone read every time, but the ability to get on the edge and outside the pocket and do some of the college stuff [is appealing].”

Gruden said they likely will incorporate more of the run-pass options, a tactic they used at times last year. He said that doesn’t stem from Smith’s ability to run, but that certainly adds another headache for a defense.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I like this insight from Jay...

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35935/jay-gruden-alex-smiths-mobility-can-help-change-offense

“That’s something you can’t coach,” Gruden said. “Some quarterbacks are better than others, and Alex is one of the best at it. His off-schedule plays are well-documented. He’s a problem when he gets outside the pocket. You have to be well aware of your rush lanes when you’re playing Alex Smith. You have to be aware of the coverages you play. You can’t have your defensive backers and safety and corners with their backs to the quarterback covering receivers in two-man because he’ll gut you.

“His movement skills are very, very underrated. He can really, really run. He’s really a good athlete. That’s not to say we’ll run the zone read every time, but the ability to get on the edge and outside the pocket and do some of the college stuff [is appealing].”

Gruden said they likely will incorporate more of the run-pass options, a tactic they used at times last year. He said that doesn’t stem from Smith’s ability to run, but that certainly adds another headache for a defense.

This is music to my ears. The idea that Gruden even mentions RPO gets me excited. I still think we need one more skill player that will give a defense pause. That player can be a WR or a RB (or play both, alah Bell).  That player will need to be shifty and they need to be fast. Although I like Albert Wilson (joining Smith again), I'm starting to lean towards James Washington, WR. But wait.....converted to RB for the Redskins!! He's not your typical WR body type. He's 6'0, 205, runs the 40 in 4.5. Not a burner at the WR position. But as RB, coming out of the backfield with those ball skills.....oh ****!!!

BTW, I think he played RB in HS for what its worth.

1 hour ago, Rocky52Mc said:

Don't be afraid to throw the ball past 15 yards and you'll be loved here while we compete.

Don't think that'll be an issue now that he's wanted. You play a little bit careful when you don't know what's next. Or when you're padding stats. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Craig Hoffman just called our scouts "good Scouts" @Skinsinparadise, that's all I've been wanting to hear because those are the guys I have a lot more faith in than the GM or person with the title.

I’m going to experiment a little and see if this mod function I have works for once. I tried it before and all hell broke loose. :ols: 

But let's see if I can move these posts to the Bruce thread. 

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

I’m going to experiment a little and see if this mod function I have works for once. I tried it before and all hell broke loose. :ols: 

But let's see if I can move these posts to the Bruce thread. 

Pretty sure that's what happens with anything involving Bruce, words rhyming with Bruce, or words sharing two or more letters with the word Bruce.

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Pretty sure that's what happens with anything involving Bruce, words rhyming with Bruce, or words sharing two or more letters with the word Bruce.

As much as I’d like to pin that on him, too, it’s totally on me. 

Good news is it worked with @Thinking Skins post! It’s now in the Bruce thread on the last page, woohoo! First time it worked, lol. Let me try SIP now. :ols: 

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just quoting this temporarily just in case it gets lost in an ES vortex of doom... 

Archived