Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok so question.  The trade for Alex Smith has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, so in theory can't the front office still transition tag Cousins in order to force some kind of compensation for Cousins?

Well yah, but i think the redskins have lost their leverage.  They held a trump card which was to just franchise him again and pay him.  I dont think they can even transition him now because everyone knows they wont match any offer.

Please tell me this is a joke.  Good grief

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok so question.  The trade for Alex Smith has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, so in theory can't the front office still transition tag Cousins in order to force some kind of compensation for Cousins?

No. Cause then you have Smith and Cousins taking up $49 million in cap space. No tagging for Cousins. 

IMO, you only make this move if you are 100% sure Cousins was ready to walk, which very well may be the case.

No, you only make this move if your desperate to be Andy Reid's **** twice in a decade.

Even if Cousins is sure to walk, you have to atleast try to get something for him.

But Redskins...

IMO, you only make this move if you are 100% sure Cousins was ready to walk, which very well may be the case.

Or you don't feel the Cousins is the QB to take you to the next level. You also don't tie up a kings ransom on a player when there are many needs on the team.

This is absolutely insane. And really, I can't imagine that Cousins costs more than $6 mil more next year.

My only guess is that either the front office was just not impressed with Cousins, Cousins made it clear it was VERY unlikely he was going to sign here, or the front office really like someone in the draft but don't believe he's ready to start day one.

Literally, those are the ONLY choices that really make this make sense.

And even then, I'm not sure I'd even say it's an okay idea. It's really going to come down to who the player is and what the pick is. If it's not a young up and coming guy on our roster and it's a 3rd or later.....cool. If it's a 1st or 2nd round pick, or a young promising player, then this is just a disaster. 

I may be in the minority but I like this - conditional on knowing what we traded.

Smith is a good QB and a great fit for Grudens system. He’s a very good bridge QB. Does not stop us drafting a rookie if one falls we like, but means we don’t feel pressured to trade the farm to move up. Also means we could draft defense (Pea or Payne maybe) which I would really like.

Question is do we extend him - his deal is up after next season I think?

Man I’m going to miss Kirk Cousins. I know he didn’t light the world on fire but he’s the most consistent thing on a **** show of a franchise in the past 25 years.  Really sucks.  Looks like we’ve lost leverage with a tag and trade, but I still hope

we pull it off.  The scary thing is that we sent a pick and a player to

kc in this deal, wtf?

Archived